Mirror's Edge Trailer -- a must-see.

Impressive - very impressive.
Its like the matrix for LCD screens (ie bright)
However - its EA - I long ago gave up beliving anything but a demo from them --

aside from that I wonder if my duel core single graphics card computer will be able to run this game?

This is one of those situations where I couldn't care less that EA had their hands on it because it's coming from DICE, and they've never let me down (okay, so Battlefield 2142 was a glorified experiment -- a Vitalogy, if you will -- but the rest of their work has been pristine).

And I don't think you'll have any issues running it as long as the card is somewhat recent. It's built on the UT3 engine so it will perform comparably if you've got another game which you can test.

I saw that a couple of days ago. When I read the article's about it when it was announced, I thought it sounded really interesting, and that the screenshots looked really good.

I still feel the same about the graphics - very nice graphics, and the art direction is good (real worldy, but not photorealistic, rather slightly cartoony)... but the gameplay looks bad. I think the mechanics can be improved - the running, the jumping, and particularly the combat that we saw. It looked so unnatural when the leg came up.

To be honest I think that is really just a graphics demo - I would expect them to expand things beyond what we have seen there (I expect now up to DICE to deliver)

They've been wise to set in on rooftops. Prince-of-Persia-like indoor acrobatics would have been boring to do in first-person.

I don't know Lenny, I think it looks pretty stunning. There's definitely an over-saturated palette and somewhat disproportionate limbs on the characters, but I think that's a matter of them trying to achieve a certain style.

Oh, I think the graphics are good, don't get me wrong there. It's the actual mechanics that look a bit iffy at this point in time. I've watched the trailer again, and I'm starting to think that one of the major problems is actually the camera.

Lenny could have a good point, GoW was great, and at first the camera angle when sprinting looked great, but turned out to be very annoying, as the restriction on point of view to carry cam allowed no flexibility.

Oh, I think the graphics are good, don't get me wrong there. It's the actual mechanics that look a bit iffy at this point in time. I've watched the trailer again, and I'm starting to think that one of the major problems is actually the camera.

Yeah, there's this stretched, almost pulled back FOV, a bit like they did with Escape From Butcher's Bay. I think they do this to try and mirror the peripheral that a human is capable of seeing, but the effect comes off rather differently and makes everything feel as if it were being viewed through a tunnel.

I like the idea of seeing your limbs in the game. Most games ignore the fact you have a body.

The Parkour aspect could be interesting, but hopefully there is more to the gameplay than that, or it could end up like Assassins Creed (Fun to clamber over buildings, but gets too repetitive).

Update:

Here's a short interview with one of the developers of Mirror's Edge. Now we know the premise at least, and if it's heading in the direction I'm assuming it is (just a guess, but I'm thinking she's going to have to deliver a package/message that is highly sensitive and as a result attracts the attention of the local authorities or the powers-that-be) than I'm even more anxious to get my hands on it.

Sneak Peak: Mirror's Edge - Pixel.tv

I don't think it likes you if it sends you over rooftops, either.

---

To me the game still seems empty. Sure, it's pretty, and there are some good mechanics in it, but currently it sounds like a game with a single level that gets repeated. And repeated. And repeated. It just doesn't grab me.

And here are four minutes of gameplay:

Gametrailers.com - Mirror's Edge 4 Minute Gameplay Vid by ChiddaPotta

Thoughts once I've watched it.

EDIT: Seen it. It's that level again.

Impressions - things look smoother (I don't know if the camera has changed, or if I'm just getting used to it, but it's nicer than the first trailer way up at the top of the thread), and things look like they're pre-scripted, regardless of how you carry them out. At the moment it's looking less like a game that you play and more like a video that you just happen to mash buttons to. And what's with every rooftop looking like every other rooftop?

I have to say, though, that I like the colour pallette used. I never knew there were so many different variations and shades of white! The red really cuts through it.

Last edited: