Read Twilight, can't find anything better!

anne rice and laurell k hamilton are more for adult instead of YA

that's like big understatement, Laurell K. Hamilton's books are practically erotic novels, especially from book 10 onwards. Extremely explicit sex scenes, some of them quite gross too.

I went into Wal-mart once, and, while waiting on someone, I saw one of the Twilight books. Thought I'd see what the big deal was. I didn't get through page one, heck I didn't even get through paragraph one. I thought that my brain was going to ooze out of my ears. That's why I don't like the series.

Someone, a few pages back, wrote that Twilight and the rest of the series have gotten a good number of teens to read for pleasure. And was then shot down by another poster. Another poster said they'd question my mental faculties since I read it; being far beyond the age of 14.

I don't believe that they are amazing books, but they are interesting. The fact that the author researched a local First Nation's group is definitely different and quite refreshing. Sure it's dramatized and just plain silly in some respects, but the books are interesting.

Now, I know for a fact that the books have gotten non-reading teens to read because I work with First Nation's youth, and I have witnessed the phenomenon. Not only are they now reading, they are making intelligent choices in their reading material. The books are full of stereotypical characters and play on teen emotions, but just as the Harry Potter series have done, they have captured the interest of a generation of youth. My co-worker's daughter now reads for an hour before lights out instead of MSN'ing or Facebook chatting with her friends on the computer.

Ok so i read the twilight saga(other than Breaking Dawn) cant wait for that and i also read the imortal insterments. I cant find anything better than that. Ive read the twilight saga 5-6 times. please help me.;):D

Lord of The Rings, Redwall, Dune, Leviathan Wakes, Harry Potter, Halo: Glasslands, Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding, Revelation Space, and pretty much any other book ever written that falls into the science fiction or Fantasy Genres.

EDIT: WOW friggin thread necromancy here this thread is OLD.

Thought this thread was trolling.

These were my thoughts initially - when I first saw the thread title - but then, there are people that actually like twilight. Personally I can't understand why, but there must be something done right about them to become so popular.

Didn't Stephanie Meyer write this while she was in a state of schizophrenic psychosis? I still don't get how a teenage girl can act like that and how Edward is such a gentleman while he is busy convincing Bella he doesn't really want to be with her. Stupid is what I say.

I don't understand the fuss. Is it really difficult to understand that people like different things?

I believe some people enjoy Wuthering Heights, and I've ever heard rumours that people will voluntarily read those detective novels that focus largely on poking around dead bodies. Not my kind of thing, but I don't think they need to be berated for it.

I read Twilight. I enjoyed the first three books. I haven't given them a lot of thought since. I don't need excuses for having enjoyed them.

I don't believe the original post asked for people to criticise others' reading choices.

Well this is an open forum the people who think Twilight suck has as much right to say that as the original post who said he/she hadnt read better than Twilight.

I dont get the fuss either, Twilight is far from being the first not well written fantasy,romance bestseller type books. Its easy to understand young readers and adult who love them the book. Blending fantasy+romance is goldmine.

My girlfriend read them and loved them. She loved them so much that she read them again. I read the last one so she could have someone to talk to about it and it wasn't my cup of tea; I'm not going to bash my girlfriend over the head though for enjoying it.

I enjoy Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, Lovecraft, Hemingway, and many others. I read a lot. I've read books far, far, far superior to Twilight. But people enjoy them; they're fun. The prose is far from perfect, the descriptions are dull and childish sounding, but people enjoy them.

I don't criticize people who say Stephen King doesn't write literature, only garbage. They're entitled to their opinion; as am I.

My girlfriend read them and loved them. She loved them so much that she read them again. I read the last one so she could have someone to talk to about it and it wasn't my cup of tea; I'm not going to bash my girlfriend over the head though for enjoying it.

I enjoy Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, Lovecraft, Hemingway, and many others. I read a lot. I've read books far, far, far superior to Twilight. But people enjoy them; they're fun. The prose is far from perfect, the descriptions are dull and childish sounding, but people enjoy them.

I don't criticize people who say Stephen King doesn't write literature, only garbage. They're entitled to their opinion; as am I.

The last one was the worst, IMO. Had you started at the beginning, you may have found it more enjoyable. Personally, I thought the books got successively worse, and by the time it comes to the final book, everything that I found interesting about the first book is kicked to the background. Of course, I wasn't a young adult when I read them, so my perspective might not be the best to follow, but I will say that I'm not usually into first person perspectives. The first book was enjoyable enough for me to see why so many young adults are in love with it.

On a side note, I happen to enjoy some of George RR Martin, but had I started reading A Song Of Ice And Fire with A Dance With Dragons, I probably would have considered his writing garbage. I didn't especially like that book.

Just one question for Stephanie Meyer, why ruin vampires? They used to be the BA rulers of the night who were feared all but the most courageous or stupid. Now they are the love idols of teenage girls. Lestat, Louie, Claudia and Armand's crew were true representations of vampires.

Just so I don't seem like a troll, I did actually read the books and they were decent except for what I mentioned about the ruination of vampires. There were way better ways to have him prove to her that he was a vampire than sparkling in the sun.

I went into Wal-mart once, and, while waiting on someone, I saw one of the Twilight books. Thought I'd see what the big deal was. I didn't get through page one, heck I didn't even get through paragraph one. I thought that my brain was going to ooze out of my ears. That's why I don't like the series.

My mother-in-law bought me the first one because she knew I liked to read. She said "Everyone I know loves it." I had to follow the question with "Was these people young women?" Yet, I still tried and had the same thought as above.

I don't care if others like twilight, I like books others don't. I won't ever have the same personality as an emo* teenage girl or boy**. I don't expect many to have the personality of a boy, with little family, and time spent in the military.

* Do people still call it emo,or mainstream now? Kinda reminds me of the punk movement in the 90's.
** Not saying that if you like twilight you are an emo, just an generalization to make my point.

While my fiance cannot stand the Twilight books or movies, I love them. I first read them as a teenager, and my heart was drawn to the romanticized relationship between Bella and Edward. It wasn't the "vampire" story that I found so appealing but the emotional connections I made to the characters. I understand why some people do not like the series (it lacks substance). If you don't like romantic relationships and exagerated emotions in a book, veer clear of Twilight. But if you are looking for a light, relaxing read (and not trying to criticize the writing), then these books are great!!!

:)You might want to try the HOUSE OF NIGHT series by P.C. CAST AND KRISTIN CAST both mother and daughter, team up for this series about vampires. This one teen is special, its like TWILIGHT, so I think you'd enjoy this series.:D

While my fiance cannot stand the Twilight books or movies, I love them. I first read them as a teenager, and my heart was drawn to the romanticized relationship between Bella and Edward. It wasn't the "vampire" story that I found so appealing but the emotional connections I made to the characters. I understand why some people do not like the series (it lacks substance). If you don't like romantic relationships and exagerated emotions in a book, veer clear of Twilight. But if you are looking for a light, relaxing read (and not trying to criticize the writing), then these books are great!!!

What an honest and frank post. :)
That's a good way to describe Twilight.

Have started reading Twilight and am enjoying it so far. Then again, I did like the original film precisely because it approached the whole subject matter differently to the mindless gore-fests vampire films had become.

Onto the book - good opening hook:

I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.

The beginning isn't bad either as there's an immediate play on the sympathy/empathy device - Bella feels that she is being forced to move to somewhere she knows and dislikes, but has little choice in the matter. There's also good use of words and phrases to denote how isolated she feels.

She is in conflict with the place of Forks - but also her family. However, there's the suggestion of future hope with regards to her estranged father.

Pace is decent, too - less than 20 pages in and we've already met the Cullens.

Overall, a good opening that engages a lot of structural strengths. So I'm happy to continue reading. :)

Curiously, I'd been told that Bella was an Everywoman character - ie, no personality, and simply a vehicle for the reader. However, I completely disagree - in the first dozen pages she describes herself as a social outcast who has difficult relating to people - and being related to. She's smart and has a cynical sense of humour. She clearly has her own distinct personality.