City of Masks // Help for Grade 10 ISP

xAvengerX

Hey everyone,

I just joined, like a few minutes and i wanted to get right to buisness. I'm doing a grade 10 ISP or ISU for english on this book. My friends recommended this book to me and i saw it as a choice for the ISU so i picked it up.

No doubt it was an awesome book.

The main focus of my ISU is on the culture. But maybe cause i'm not much of a good reader i'm having troubles doing this ISU.

I had to formulated a thesis about how the culture in the book influenced or affected the character or anyone in the book for that matter. Much of the book is about a parallel world to Venice so i decided to focus on the Italian culture.

The Thesis:

In Mary Hoffman's, Stravaganza: City of Masks, the Italian culture in Venice influences the protagonist's attire, familial relationships, and the development of his personality traits, and as a result these influences have brought the protagonist to accept the changes in his life.

Is this good enough? Or maybe there are stronger "arguements" that i can use.

The book describes how venice is different from Belleza but i'm suppose to research information from the "real" culture and use the research to support that my arguments are the effects of cultural impact.

This is becoming too long. so i'll post this first.

Thanks in Advance :)

Hello, xAvengerx. Good for you - seeking out the author to help with an essay. Wish I'd had that luxury when I was doing my exams! I never was very good at this analytical stuff.

You have a good few points to discuss there. One you might also want to think about is how Belleza prepares Lucien for his eventual 'death' as well. He certainly embraces the city with passion, and that wholehearted integration into his role there helps him to come to terms with what is happening in our world.

Good luck with your ISU, whatever that is! :)

Hey everyone,

The Thesis:

In Mary Hoffman's, Stravaganza: City of Masks, the Italian culture in Venice influences the protagonist's attire, familial relationships, and the development of his personality traits, and as a result these influences have brought the protagonist to accept the changes in his life.

The book describes how venice is different from Belleza but i'm suppose to research information from the "real" culture and use the research to support that my arguments are the effects of cultural impact.

Hello, Avenger,
I just found this, as my router has been down this morning. As Mark says, it's something of a luxury to be able to ask the author questions for your project. But I always find that teachers set questions that bear very little relation to the way in which I either wrote the books or think about them now.

I would think though that it's more important to talk about how the culture of Bellezza influences the lives of Talians themselves - Arianna will have to start wearing a mask soon, can't train as a mandolier, mustn't be in the city on the forbidden day, can't do anything on her island without being observed etc. etc.

Bellezzans are superstitious and follow two religions simultaneously - the official Reman Church, with Pope, Cardinals etc and then the older goddess religion of the lagoon. They almost worship their Duchessa. And they know how to have a really good time, love parties and festivals and celebrations and hold them at the drop of a hat.

Lucien observed all this as an outsider, not only from another place (dimension) but from a time 400- years ahead of them. This is of course the whole value of the outsider in speculative fiction but don't get me started!

Then BIG SPOILER COMING:

He has to learn how to become a Bellezzan and leave his old life behind. By then of course he has absorbed a lot about the culture.

There is quite a lot of material you might use on the website Stravaganza and of course you arfe welcome to ask specific questions here.

Good luck with the project!

Mary Hoffman

I am.. speechless.

Thanks for all these insights and tips and stuff. This would definately help me alot. I just submitted this last night and i got help.

Thanks alot !!

But i have one other question;

As for the religious aspects of Belleza, is that similar to Venice or is the "two religion" thing a fictional idea for the book?

It's sort of confusing when i have to research about the actual culture to prove how it affects the people / main characters in the book.

I am.. speechless.

But i have one other question;

As for the religious aspects of Belleza, is that similar to Venice or is the "two religion" thing a fictional idea for the book?

It's sort of confusing when i have to research about the actual culture to prove how it affects the people / main characters in the book.

That is totally my invention and nothing like what happened in Venice. I agree it's muddly to have to research real Venice while writing about Bellezza. The mask thing is mine too although it's true that gondoliers have had a closed shop for males - the first female gondolier qualified last year.

I hope you get a good mark!

Mary

It still seems complicated. I have to hand in an essay outline by friday. i didn't even start. Do you guys think i should rewrite my thesis? Well most importantly the three subtopics that i have to prove of how the culture affects the people. i read the posts from Mary, but i don't know how i could categorize them.

Anyways, thanks for ALL the help that both of you have given me.

I'll try to rewrite my thesis again and show you two.

Thanks again = ]

okay. i thought about the thesis. everything seems fine. But should i generalize the "attire" topic, or go even further to explain other things?

If so. what should i say in the place of "attire" as a subtopic?

okay. i thought about the thesis. everything seems fine. But should i generalize the "attire" topic, or go even further to explain other things?

If so. what should i say in the place of "attire" as a subtopic?

Well, you could try "dress" or "clothing". The only relevant issues are:

• Masks
• The Duchessa's two dresses for each occasion (one for her double)
• Arianna's boy's disguise

The whole business of dressing a double raises issues about seeing what we think we are seeing and the deception of appearances.

But I think masks are the way to go.

Good luck

Mary

What about the convergence of science/magic? I think is very iportant, that things in the real world considerated "magic" in Talia are considerated "science". Luciano as the apprentice of Rodolfo, has a big advnce in knowledge.

What about the convergence of science/magic? I think is very iportant, that things in the real world considerated "magic" in Talia are considerated "science". Luciano as the apprentice of Rodolfo, has a big advnce in knowledge.

Erm, the word you want is "considered". Doesn't matter so much here but it will in a graded paper!

I don't understand your question.

Mary

Erm, the word you want is "considered". Doesn't matter so much here but it will in a graded paper!

I don't understand your question.

Mary

I mean that science is very important in the culture. And sciencie in Talia is veeery different than sience in the real world. That makes a difference, right?

(Dumb english of mine)

I mean that science is very important in the culture. And sciencie in Talia is veeery different from science in the real world. That makes a difference, right?

Sorry, I read your post hastily thought you were the student; that's why I corrected your language!

Yes, I think you are right. The nature of Talian "science" is bound to influence what Talians think about learning and knowledge. This is a subject explored at length in City of Secrets so you are right on the money.

Mary

Hey. Sorry for not coming back after i said i would rewrite my thesis. It's been a hectic semester so far. Im finally able to start writing my rough draft. I hope i could still ask questions if everyone here isn't too busy. Thanks for all your help thus far. It has gottent me through alot in this ISU.

Right now i only have one big question in my head. Do any of you know any issues [major or minor ] that is happening in Italy or with Italians? Part of my ISP requires a presentation on recent issues revolving around the country and culture.

Anyways im off to start my essay.

Thanks again !

Right now i only have one big question in my head. Do any of you know any issues [major or minor ] that is happening in Italy or with Italians? Part of my ISP requires a presentation on recent issues revolving around the country and culture.
!

Look up Silvio Berlusconi on your search engine - he has just been re-elected as the country's leader after several years, looking younger than before, with hair transplants!

There were lots of corruption charges pending against him at one time - he is a multi-millionaire with control of most of Italy's media (TV channels etc).

But your teacher wants you to do your own research so see what you can find.

Mary

Berlusconi has gotten himself hair transplants?! So that's what's so different about him! I was wondering what had happened to him.. ;)

Hey Mary (& the other contributors to this thread),

I can't explain how excited i am that school is done, especially the whole ENTIRE ISP assignment. It was a crazy ride from reading the book to writing a essay that is more than 8 pages long. My marks didn't turn out that well though. An 80% for my Essay and a 75% for my presentation. My teacher marks a bit harder than the other teachers. But it doesn't matter. I'm still happy with those marks.

Now i can enjoy the rest of the series from the reasons of personal interest

See you all later around the forum !

So once again Thank You

Hey Mary (& the other contributors to this thread),

I can't explain how excited i am that school is done, especially the whole ENTIRE ISP assignment. It was a crazy ride from reading the book to writing a essay that is more than 8 pages long. My marks didn't turn out that well though. An 80% for my Essay and a 75% for my presentation. My teacher marks a bit harder than the other teachers. But it doesn't matter. I'm still happy with those marks.

Now i can enjoy the rest of the series from the reasons of personal interest

See you all later around the forum !

So once again Thank You

80% and 75% not good marks? They sound pretty fine to me. Well done! And I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. City of Sec rets is just out in the US and about to be out in the Uk on 7th July.

Mary