Charlton Heston - RIP

From a personal point of view TK I would probably rate Olivier and McGuiness as better actors and for sure more presence, in particualr McGuiness. But Douglas and I assume you are referring to Kirk and Peter O'Toole, I would argue that neither were as big a presence or could act as well as Chuck. Plus I would say neither has as many diverse character as Chuck did either.
I havn't see alot of Brando's stuff, so I cannot comment, but if you were talking personal life, then his would be alot more clouded than Chuck's also.

Well, Heston had presence but I do not put him as being of the same caliber of an actor as other real legends like Brando, Douglas, Olivier, McGuiness or O'Toole.

I never cared for Brando, Many think he was huge, and he was, in many respects, but i wouldn't of went to see a film because of his name, though I would have went if Heston was named in that film. (I think Gene Hackman is better than Brando)
But again this is individual choice.
Just because we do not appreciate each others points of view on a few actors does not mean we have nothing in common, I totally agree with Kirk Douglas being a legend,(but not on him being better) :D
Its all good TK:), I totally respect your point of view.

Alec
Obi wan in star wars. (he hated that role btw)

Thanks Vlad. I knew who TK meant but it didn't sound quite right. Its true we all have our favorite actors, there are actors today that I do not particuarly like, but that does not mean they are not good actors. There are however very few great actors anymore.

Daniel Day Lewis springs to my mind as a great actor, but he does very few movies. Gene Hackman is also a great actor (loved him in Mississippi Burning) Many would also say Jack Nicholson and I guess I would agree, even though he is not a favorite of mine, I do appreciate that he brings a presence to a film.
I think there are many aspect to the greatness of an actor including is whether their name in a movie can guarantee people will go to see it. I think I have seen a majority of Heston's films, simply because he was in them and this meant there was a good chance that it would be a good or great film. Seldom was I disappointed.
Greatness can also be measured by the various characters they can play and remain believable.

A legend doesnt mean a great actor in his ability to act.

Brando i rate at the greatest ever actor in hollywood along with Pacino.

There are many legends that wasnt master actors ala those but who are true cinema legends. Their presence,coolness etc make them great.

Clint Eastwood,Humprey Bogart,Bruce Lee are like that for exmaple.

I dont like Heston as much as those three in his quality and presence but he is a legend. He made movies that wont be half good without him.

A legend doesnt mean a great actor in his ability to act.

We are talking about screen legends, so I have to disagree with you on that point Connavar.
If your talking about his personal life, then this is a different matter.
I have seen in other forums people making comments about his life without even knowing the man or what he truly believed. I find this sad but i am not surprised.
I am however surprised at Ash59's comment.
Good!!
An educated response would have been nice, but I wont push on the comment to much, as it seems you clearly have your mind made up. But to say "good" that any man is dead, no matter how much you may dislike the person, is a shame.
People may not think he is a screen legend, for their own reasons, but the definitive meaning of screen legend sits with his fans and critics alike.

It is true that Heston is a favorite of mine, which would be somewhat obvious in previous comments.
Personally I don't understand the hype over Brando as an actor, but I am 100% certain that when he died I did not say.

Good
******"

We are talking about screen legends, so I have to disagree with you on that point Connavar.
If your talking about his personal life, then this is a different matter.
I have seen in other forums people making comments about his life without even knowing the man or what he truly believed. I find this sad but i am not surprised.
I am however surprised at Ash59's comment.
An educated response would have been nice, but I wont push on the comment to much, as it seems you clearly have your mind made up. But to say "good" that any man is dead, no matter how much you may dislike the person, is a shame.
People may not think he is a screen legend, for their own reasons, but the definitive meaning of screen legend sits with his fans and critics alike.

Im not talking about personal life.

But that you dont have to be the greatest actor in the world to be a cinema legend.

Clint for example is the best western hero in many people eyes and those movies made him a legend in cinema as an actor. He isnt great actor alà Pacino and co but he had something that made his movies great.

Im not talking about personal life.

But that you dont have to be the greatest actor in the world to be a cinema legend.

Clint for example is the best western hero in many people eyes and those movies made him a legend in cinema as an actor. He isnt great actor alà Pacino and co but he had something that made his movies great.
(are you saying Clint is not a great actor..lol, shame on you :D)
I do agree you, don't have to be the greatest actor in the world.. But being remembered for being outstanding in the film industry by the public does make a screen legend.
You coined a phrase "hero in many people eyes" Indeed Heston was this hero. If he were not, who would care? (rhetorical)
He is in my eyes, a screen legend...granted, some of the films he was in could have been played by by another actor, but ever wonder why the have not made a remake of Ben Hur, who could play "Judah Ben-Hur" out of out actors today?

PS. Didnt see you posting for a while connovar, good to see you back on form :D

Last edited: