Brian Jacques - Redwall

Nada

Striving to make SF real!
(Aero)space Engineer, working on robotic explorati
I bought a few Brian Jacques' books on ebay (6 euro for 4 books) but now I'm undecided if trash them (resell) or read them.

Has anyone read something from him? Is it worth, especially considering i have 4 books out of 10-12? I loved Watership Down and my favourite graphical novel is Blacksad but my TBR is approaching the 100 mark and some pruning would not be a bad idea...

Any advice would be appreciated.

BYe

R

I read Salamandastrom (sp??) years ago and thought it was good. The talking critter bit's not really my bag, but he is a good writer and the story kept me entertained. I'd say if you enjoyed Watership Down, you will enjoy the Redwall books.

Thread moved to YA fiction.

My husband has read several of these books, and he must have liked them pretty well because he kept on buying them for a while.

One comment I remember is that the books made him hungry, because there were so many descriptions of food.

I went through a stage, a few years ago, where the only thing I'd read was the Redwall series. I got them all out from the library, in the correct order, and literally devoured them. I left the series at The Taggerung (bought it on release day, but I've yet to read it).

It's a good series. Sure, it definitely belongs in the Young Adult genre, but they're good reads, and solid fantasy, so who's complaining?

They remind me of Garry Killworth's Welkin Weasels trilogies when I think back to them. You know, I think I might find the Redwall books, and Killworth's books, and read them all again.

I really like these books? I've read:

Martin the Warrior
Mossflower
Mariel of Redwall
The Legend of Luke
The Pearls of Lutra
Triss

I loved all of them, although I have to admit they're rather samey. Martin the Warrior is, so far, my favourite, followed by Triss. I do recommend you read the ones you've bought. Just don't do what I did and buy all but 2.

Martin the Warrior was my favourite too. I was a little disappointed when the other books jumped far ahead in the timeline but now that I look back, it probably made it even better, having established that legend. I was discouraged by the very, very long list of books in the series but I still highly recommend them. I'm probably going to take them up again as a matter of fact...

I remember that the accents of the different beasties was a pain.
What is the reading level on these books anyway? The Marvelous Land of Oz was great for reading to my kid. Unfortunately she has taken a liking to other books in my collection. I need another story that I can simply read instead of translate like I have to do with her current favourite story out of the Silmarillion. I think that she loves the in depth worlds compared to what is in books on her level but Daddy would like to have to do less work. I can't remember enough about Redwall to know if it fits the bill.

I bought a few Brian Jacques' books on ebay (6 euro for 4 books) but now I'm undecided if trash them (resell) or read them.

Has anyone read something from him? Is it worth, especially considering i have 4 books out of 10-12? I loved Watership Down and my favourite graphical novel is Blacksad but my TBR is approaching the 100 mark and some pruning would not be a bad idea...

Any advice would be appreciated.

BYe

R

Read away - they're good stories, and just because they are YA doesn't mean they aren't good, they are loved by many. I haven't actaully read them myself, although we do have a few of the series floating around here somewhere, but I have watched the first animated movie with my kids. I could see myself reaing them sometime.

I loved these as a kid, still have most of them in fact, saved up against the day of little Woodsmen(and women)!

He builds a great world and tells a great story even if they can be somewat predictable. the descriptions of food were glorious. The Welkin Weasels books by Kilworth are different, more layered and more satirical from what I remember - they're more likely to have something for the adult to appreciate as well.

Yep, I only ever used to read Redwall books too! Each book is pretty much the same as the last one though and the characters seem to all have the same personalities! Redwall's the best one I think. And The Taggerung is pretty good.

I used to LOVE those books. I ran out of space on my bookshelves and unfortunately the redwall series were some of the books i managed to convice myself i could live without :( i´d recommend reading them :)