Final lines....

"Was it all just a dream...no it couldnt be it was too real." Nandaio exclaimed and out of the corner of his eye he saw her again...she was now in control...of him...

Reviving an old thread...
This is the end of something I intend to write in the future - I'm saving the idea until I have more experience.

Soon, I will release her from life, and I will use the last power her devotion grants me to send this book out into the world. I will lay my immortal body down beside her and wait. Wait for you to read it, to believe it, to believe in me. Your belief will grant me the power to lead you to me, and I will make you my new high priest, and together we will take up the war again. And this time, we will win.

And that was how I died - at the hands of my very best friend.

But one day, one day I shall get revenge. Mark my words.

LOL - if the words in between maintain the standard the first and last lines, you've got a fun novel on your hands, Michael :)

The reset switch had been tempting, but the off switch was, when all was said and done, more final.

From "Vanishing Point?"

And at the end, Jupiter cursed all the works of Man; all save himself. The promised race proved a fiction. Jupiter's speed was an irrelevance. Any chance of a competition with that jumped up UP-119 was spiked and the event declared, unfunnily enough, a tie. But while a line - one spanning a continent - was drawn after Jupiter reached Promontory Summit, the struggle continued for another four months, until Mossdale Bridge was finally complete.

(Almost a true story; and in 75 words.)

I knelt on one knee before her, my face still smeared with blood and sweat the rain had failed to wash away. Gorse Point was bathed in moonlight and it was as if the world drew breath, waiting. Catherine placed her hand upon my head, her voice gentle, tinged with pity.

"I am with child."

Why, thank you, Interference, although I was just goofing off. ;) Good one there, too ... "didn't see you." Here are some real final lines from a short:

Amanda shuddered, stumbled over to Shawn’s mutilated corpse, and retrieved the broken bottle.

“I’m so sorry, Shawn,” she said.

Sitting next to her cameraman, she sliced her left forearm and waited for her life to drain away.

Some of the best ones come from goofing off ;) - This is not an example of that:

I don't think I've ever been sadder at a funeral. I felt like crying, like screaming, like falling on his grave and beating the dirt with my fists, but what would be the point? He had brought me here in an instant. Without him, getting home again was going to take fifty-seven billion years.

I threw bottles aside recklessly as I dug through Von Schabbington's briefcase. The experimental Isotope had to be in here somewhere, had to be.
I read off the labels as I hurled the bottles at the fireplace one by one.
"Plutonium, Dioxylene, Muriatic acid, Nitroglycer-

(There are so many questions that come with that one, Tal. Nice one)

It was one way to get over my prejudices, I suppose: being taken for a ride by a blind dwarf like that makes me wonder what other stereotypes are more deeply ingrained in my psyche than I'd ever have guessed ....

Sifting through the fading fragments of his life, decisions made and roads travelled Ten kepting returning again and again to the smiling green eyes of Jade. His final thought, a realisation that the gleam in her eye wasn't the seductive twinkle he longed to see but the reflection of a steely blade.

The ethereal forms of my family gathering around me I asked "Is this heaven?". With widening smiles, eyes full of longing gleam, in unison they all said "No" and began to feed.

As the engraved silver door swung slowly shut behind her, Lori felt no regret, even as she left her brother behind and her body began to crystalize. On the other side, Nexus knew there was nothing he could do to change her decision. He turned around as the last rays of white light coming from the chamber were locked away, and the silver door of their childhood began to throb in time with the beat of the crystal-imprisoned heart behind it.

(this is the ending to my book :3 I'm rather proud of it - though the book itself remains unfinished ^^;)