Shocking revelation?

In a previous post, I tried (speaking with my psychologist hat on) to point out that homosexuality is part of everyone's sexuality, although it remains in the subconscious mind for most people because of cultural taboos. And the result is-- sometimes-- a passionate friendship.

And, beside the fact that I regretted Rowling's outing of the Bee so late-- although I perfectly see why she didn't say anything while the books were being issued -- I also took in the point someone made explaining that the author was answering a precise question.

As a writer, I don't see why romantic interest should be less dramatic than intellectual (or ideal) interest, unless the novel is just a romance and doesn't tackle any other area.

On the contrary, a love interest surrounded by taboos and inner conflict can be very interesting. It all depends-- as always-- on how it is rendered.
For instance, Marrior Zimmer Bradley wrote very well about these amours contrariées. And so did Colette, and many others.

Saying homosexuality is part of everyone's makeup is a rather large generalisation, and simply not true for everyone.

And as for why JK didn't *out* him earlier - if it wasn't pertenant to the plot, why put it in? It would be like mentioning what colour underwear the character is wearing. And ofc you'd have to do the same for everyone and that'd get boring , especially where it adds little or nothing to the plot or story. I'd only put it in if it was a: relevant to the plot or b: there was something about the character's sexuality that affected how they dealt with a situation that cropped up.

Conflicted romances / friendships make for good reading though. But if the book isn't about that, or it's not an important sub plot, the sexuality of the characters isn't relevant and doesn't really interest me. What they get up to in their spare time is up to them:)

As a writer, I don't see why romantic interest should be less dramatic than intellectual (or ideal) interest, unless the novel is just a romance and doesn't tackle any other area.
Partly because so many stories are already romances, and it's a standby of lower fiction, and partly because it means that Dumbledore wasn't acting in the interests (as he saw them at the time) of all humanity (through pursuit of Grindelwald's goals), but his own personal desires. Which I don't think is very Dumbledore.

And I've never been attracted to "forbidden love" type tales. But that one's just me.

Dumby just found it hard to come "out of the closet" He grew in there and got stuck :D

Yep. That why we both said we would leave the thread. Didn't work though.

Nope, not even now. (OK I will leave until I have something to say)

On the contrary, a love interest surrounded by taboos and inner conflict can be very interesting. It all depends-- as always-- on how it is rendered.

Elizabeth Benedict, in her book "The Joy of Writing Sex," said "If adultery did not exist, writers would have had to invent it." I think the same could be said of homosexuality. Writers are required to introduce conflict and tension at every turn. Why not in the midst of a same-sex friendship?

As for HP, of course it would have been a ridiculous departure from the plot for Dumbledore to start writing Grindelwald love letters (not to mention inappropriate for a children's series), but, as an adult reader, learning this bit of information definitely adds a new bit of interest to this subplot. (And I think kids can handle it too.)

because it means that Dumbledore wasn't acting in the interests (as he saw them at the time) of all humanity (through pursuit of Grindelwald's goals), but his own personal desires. Which I don't think is very Dumbledore.

I think that's the whole point. Dumbledore was flawed, not because he's gay, but because we see him acting selfishly. It makes him more three dimensional than the standard "wise wizard" archetype of fantasy literature.

And I've never been attracted to "forbidden love" type tales. But that one's just me.
Oh, I am. :) In fact, 99% of all the fiction I've written falls into this category. I love romance, but not the straight-forward, predictable type.

This idea of Dumbledore being gay must have been an idea she had only for a year or two. After Harry Potter became an adult book and not a children's novel. The differences are very clear

I think that's the whole point. Dumbledore was flawed, not because he's gay, but because we see him acting selfishly. It makes him more three dimensional than the standard "wise wizard" archetype of fantasy literature.
But I still think it's inferior to "my motives were selfless but I was still wrong." As for selfishness, his ignoring of his sister to go off and plot a world revolution (or some such) with Grindelwald already counts.

We already have plenty of flawed characters in Potter that at least occasionally put themselves ahead of others... I'd better stop there before I launch into my "What's wrong with the standard wise wizard archetype, and why does everyone insist that all characters be flawed, and why does everyone insist on smashing their heroes" monologue.;)

I never thought about any of the characters' sexualities when I read the book. Some of them fell in love and others didn't, but it wasn't ever what the story was really about so I just sort of went "oh, they're together now? Ok..." and that was about it.

My girlfriend (a huge HP fan) wasn't really surprised by this piece of information though. She apparently saw the Dumbly/Grindewald thing from miles away.

I don't think this was JK fishing for attention at all, and as others have mentioned she often leaves out little bits of information about the characters that aren't strictly mentioned in the book. I'm a bit saddened that it never came up that Dumbledore was in love with Grindewald, mainly because if that truly was his motivation it would have been nice to know it in the books as well. I mean, obviously people DO fall in love in these books so I don't see why it couldn't have been worked in somehow. On the other hand it's been a very long time since I read the books. Maybe there wasn't really a good way to work it in.

Um... Now I'm just rambling. Hope at least some of that made sense.

It was, as I have said before, nothing more than a bit more publicity. Hell, it got a thread started here didnt it?

I am sure it has been covered, but let me add:

Dumbledore being gay is her idea and respect it (I have some complaints with little bits of the Lotr, but I absolutely love the story Tolkien writes).
Now, I think Dumbledore being gay only fits perfectly. His greatest bearing was love, which is a feminine trait. It does not matter where the love comes from, as long as it happens Dumbledore is happy (I wonder if he has always felt this way, or if he adopted this feeling during the later part of his life - the 60s/70s).
The wizarding community during the last few years of his life are very rejecting of what he does, always making an excuse like, "He's off his walker" (as a result of his old age, being crazy). However, I like to think that the community oppresses him because he is gay. They won't say it, but they don't like his purple robes or his sparkly blue eyes.

All this revelation did, imo, was create more fanfiction. :D

Most of what it did was keep people off Rowling's back, no trysts with McGonnogol, or some newly created "Mrs. Dumbledore" and the story of their "love" Child.

Though she did hint at it in Deathly Hallows with his relationship to the dark mage he defeated in combat... (Grindle?)