Diana Gabaldon - Outlander

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Original review by April:

NOTE - SPOILERS!!!

Perry: So, what is this Outlander book about?
Jack: It's about this World War II nurse who gets back together with her husband after the war...
Perry: Hey! It sounds depressing already!
Jack: Would you let me talk? Sheesh. Anyway, Claire and her husband Frank get back together for a second honeymoon after the war, as they've been separated for most of the conflict.
Perry: No no no no! This must be one of them romantical book-reviews! I can't stand them romantical book-reviews.
Jack: No, it isn't a romance. Well, there is some romance in it...
Perry: See?! Romance schmomance!
Jack: Ok, yes there is some romance but that isn't the basis of the story. If you'd let me speak more than a few words at a time you would understand better. May I?
Perry: Alright. Just leave out the romantical bits.
Jack: Sigh. Ok. So, Claire and Frank go to Scotland for their second honeymoon and while there they discover a stone circle, kind of like Stonehenge but much smaller.
Perry: Stonehenge! That sounds cool. Go on.
Jack: Yes, they find this circle and later, Claire goes back to the circle to pick some plants she had seen as she has recently become fascinated with herbal remedies and cures – things she saw a lot of while nursing soldiers during the war. While at the circle she somehow gets transported back 200 years into the past.
Perry: Transported? I thought this was a romantical?
Jack: Ahem. Yes, transported to 1745 Scotland. Ahem. She is now trapped in the past, dependent upon the Scots who has taken her in. She has a difficult time of it as she is in a strange place and unable to actually understand what has happened to her. The people who have taken her in can't figure out whether she is some sort of spy or witch as she was found in odd clothing and knows some things that seem very strange to them. Her knowledge of herbs and modern medicine help her become somewhat accepted in the community but she is still seen as an outsider. They call her Sassenach which roughly translated from the Gaelic, means outlander. Thus the title of the book. I read the whole thing in one sitting, I couldn't put it down.
Perry: But what is she going to do? Can't she get back? Does she try to go back? What about her husband? Is she happy in the past? Don't they all smell because they don't bathe? Do Scotsmen really not wear anything underneath their kilts?
Jack: Well, Perry, you will just have to read the book now, won't you? Be warned though, it is a very long book and it is only the first in a series of seven.
Perry: SEVEN??!?! I can't read seven huge book-reviews!
Jack: Relax, the book is so well written you won't feel the passage of time. You'll have finished the book and be wanting the next before you know it. Trust me. In no time you'll be speaking with a horrible brogue and trying to identify clan tartans.
Perry: Well, you did me right last time, so I suppose I will have to give it a whirl. But, if I don't like the first chapter – it's over. I got important stuff to do, I can't be wasting my time on romanticals.
Jack: I said, 'trust me'. This Diana Gabaldon chick knows how to draw you in. One thing, pay attention to the brooch mentioned at the beginning. You'll want to remember it later.
So there you go. Use it or trash it as you wish.
april
:-D

OK

I found this book at one of the work lending bookshelves, and I had heard about it on Amazon but after reading the review don't think I want to get involved.

Sounds very interesting and I probably could like it, but I am not into female main characters or romance so that's 2 strikes to start.

I stole the book off my sister when I couldn't sleep. She had been talking it about it that day saying how amazing it was, but I personally do not like alot of books because I find them boring and sometimes take 10 chapters to get into the action. Outlander is not only a romance, there is also time travel, action and fighting, battles, love, war, passion and it's quite frankly intense. I really suggest you give it a chance, it is my all time favorite book and it's truly amazing...what do you say? Give it a chance, you'll love it I promise! oh and p.s. there is a main character that's a girl, but there is also Jamie a boy :)