Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series

Which series is his best? Which would you recomend to a newbie that wanna read the best he has done? This?, Shadomarch series? Otherland?
M,S,T is IMO his best work, but the first book does take sometime to get interesting. The second and final books are better, espeically if you like EPIC fantasy. I would try M,S,T first. Shadowamrch is similar to M,S,T in a way whereas Otherland is quite dirrecent, almost like a Science Fantasy novel.

Tad is a very competent author, so if you like well constructed prose with interesting charatcers you can do a lot worse than give him a go.

Was To Angel Green Tower originally meant to be one book?

The only reason why I ask because my mum's set says part 1: Siege and part 2: storm but mine say book 3 and book 4

I wonder about these things, shows I have wayy too much time on my hands

Gothic x

It was only one book,it was made into two for the paperback version.

<halfway through a book you could crush a bunny with.>
Ha Ha Ha that line made me laugh.:D

I got the books when they first came out and To Green Angel Tower was definitely a single volume and the third and final book in the series. It was a TPB edition.

I'm about 200 pages into The Dragonbone Chair. I'm really enjoying it so far, he's such a great storyteller.

I can't remember which paperback editions my mum has but I know she has the last book in two parts. The covers on my copies are different to hers (I think they're pretty naff to be honest, I would have liked to have a set like my mum's)

I was very proud of the Tad Williams I had managed to read them without breaking the spine first time round :) (I only get paperbacks)

I can't remember which paperback editions my mum has but I know she has the last book in two parts. The covers on my copies are different to hers (I think they're pretty naff to be honest, I would have liked to have a set like my mum's)

I was very proud of the Tad Williams I had managed to read them without breaking the spine first time round :) (I only get paperbacks)
That would also depend if they were UK or American for the different covers and what publisher it was.

M.S.T is my favorite. It is very well written, flows nicely, and has a satisfying conclusion. This is a must for any fantasy reader.

Otherland is good. It is also very well written, however it is very exhausting. It has a lot of detail, a lot of storylines, a lot of scenes, and is overall very wordy. I enjoyed the experience however I had to take a break from reading when I finished it. I admire anyone that has read the entire series more than once (see Otherland thread).

Shadowmarch is unread. I have avoided incomplete series since GRRM and RJ. When it is finished then I will read it.

Just finished this series tonight and was incredibly impressed. I found myself struggling at several points, not only the first half of book one, but yes, it definitely is worth it! I doubt anything could ever topple Otherland as my overall favourite series but this is definitely my favourite of the fantasy genre
I just love the mystery element that Tad Williams injects into his books, that most other fantasy authors seem to lack, or use only sparingly. Tad on the other hand has such a complex world and plot line that by the time you get towards the end your'e left thinking theres no possible way he could tie up all the loose ends and mysteries that your'e dying to unravel. But as with Otherland, my fears were once again allayed - he manages to tie up everything (or just about) in what I found to be a really satisfying (and still believable) manner.
I also love the philosophical discussions that occur, particularly concerning religion and human nature in this series.

**SPOILER BELOW**
I also like how he has a 'Gandalfian' character as a guide to the novice (Simon). This was a memorable read, and got me started on the hunt for the Otherland books (loved them too).
I find this a really interesting view, esp since through the whole series i kept half-expecting Morgenes to throw a Gandalfian rebirth:p

**END SPOILER**

So yes, theres my two (or more) cents. Highly recommended!:D

I found myself struggling at several points, not only the first half of book one, but yes, it definitely is worth it!

That is the first thing I tell everyone I suggest the book to. If you can make it past those first 200 pages you are in for a wonderful story. I was sad when I finished the last page knowing I was leaving Osten Ard. :(

That's all really good to know. I've picked it up and am around page 140, and I'm fine with all of the setup, and really enjoying it, so I'm looking forward to what will come next. In fact, I've been trying to read the new Koontz book in between, which normally wouldn't take me long, but THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR keeps pulling me away from it.

9780756402693.jpg

Already Tad Williams has proven to me that he is blessed with talent far surpassing most of the authors I have read recently, with his ingenius and wholly original OTHERLAND books, as well as the wonderful tale THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS.

But now, with this first volume in his first series, Williams has inched closer to becoming one of my most favorite writers of fiction in all the land -- any land, I should say.

This has been one of the most incredible reading experiences that I have had for quite some time. Williams' writing positively soars, and I can just as easily get swept up in his delicious prose and narrative style as I can in the characters and in the world of Osten Ard. This exquisite story is layered--slowly at first--intricately at times, and at others as rushed and haphazard as can only be events of the Real World, lending excitement, if not perfect plausibility to the course of events. All the time momentum is building, rolling slowly and then tumbling, thundering forward in a terrible, pulse-pounding fury. I have relished in awe in the reading of this book, and salivate at the thought of so much more to come.

If other fantasy books or series out there hold a candle to this one, then you can count me a very early but dedicated fan of the genre. I'm sure MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN share many traits that are similar to epic fantasy all over, but to me, the whole experience of reading this book has been fresh and exhillerating.

From the earliest 200 pages of the book, as Simon Mooncalf struggles with his awkwardness inside the walls of the Hayholt Castle, and then a flash of events that propell him North to Naglimund Keep and refuge with Prince Josua's Allies, there is a treasure trove of detail and characters both large and small. And no one is safe, as at the midpoint, and seemingly every other point of the story, information is revealed that changes the direction of Simon's journey, and shifts the advantage of every struggle, every conflict.

Storming through the last pages of the book, friends become separated, alliances broken, and King Elias brings a great seige to the Walls of Naglimund. But there is even more in store, as secret bargains are struck, and a confrontation on the tallest windswept peak of the mountain Urmsheim, beneath a towering tree of ice, could spell the fate of Simon, his friends, and all the mortal men of Osten Ard.

I love it! This is great literature, fascinating and thrilling and entertaining to the highest order. I am truly impressed, and will only be taking a small break between reading installments, as I cannot wait to continue galloping along at Simon's side.

In the words of Doctor Morgenes: "Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself in your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it--Memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey. You'll never lack for a home--unless you lose your head, of course..."

I enjoyed this series very much - even though I took about 10 years to read it. I liked the way Williams took established fantasy stereotypes (elves, wizards, druids, dwarves etc) and did new things with them and made them his. The book had a sense of solidity that I feel a lot of fantasy lacks. The writing was consistently good, I felt.

However, I think there are a few flaws. I agree with earlier posts that when the characters get lost somewhere - Simon especially - they seem to spend pages just wandering, without purpose. I also felt that Camaris, the knight, was something of a cardboard cutout.

However my main problem was the twist at the end, which I turned Simon into the hero of a much more cliched kind of fantasy novel. I won't give anything away, but I felt that it resolved far too many interesting plot issues in one fell swoop.

That said, they are great novels, and well worth the time you can spend reading them. Very good stuff overall!

Just finished series and loved it- apart from the ending agree totally with Tobytwo, in that it felt a bit rushed

However my main problem was the twist at the end, which I turned Simon into the hero of a much more cliched kind of fantasy novel. I won't give anything away, but I felt that it resolved far too many interesting plot issues in one fell swoop.

- however Ive been trying to think of a series where I havent been a little dissapointed by the ending - perhaps I just struggle with endings -

I've never read any of Tad Williams, but have read good reviews about him. I'm considering the purchase of the Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series .... is this a good one to read?

Well, to give my own oppinion, I would say that Williams is an average writer. He has nice sentences, and some scenes in the book are described very nicely and convincingly.

But, he has horrible feeling for dynamics. His books are too slow, nothing happens for hundreds of pages, and complete Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series could be shortened in half without losing anything important or interesting.

Secondly, I find him very unimaginative - M,S&T is consisted of cliches seen milions of times, and I allmost gave up reading on first book when it became clear that the main character will be "An orphan of secret origin, who is presently kitchen boy, but who will eventualy do great things and turn to be a royal figure". It sucks so much that it hurts, plus David Eddings has allready written this book. Not to mention Walt Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" cartoon.

So, the books are fine to read if you have a need to kill a lot of time, but they hardly justify the amount of attention they receive.

A beautiful aspect of the Chrons...everyone's entitled to an opinion....

Yes, but I agree with this one:

I liked the way Williams took established fantasy stereotypes (elves, wizards, druids, dwarves etc) and did new things with them and made them his. The book had a sense of solidity that I feel a lot of fantasy lacks.

... they are great novels, and well worth the time you can spend reading them. Very good stuff overall!