Patrick O'Brian

kcs_hiker

any fans?

I've looked this series over for years.. always meaning to get started on it.

Finally read the first Master and Commander and liked it very much. Looks like I can read for quite some time on the series, what is there 20 or so books?

I read Master and Commander a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. Haven't read any more yet, although at some point I will. However, I've read a lot of Alexander Kent's naval fiction based in the same era and I'm more a fan of his than O'Brian's. But I think I may be in the minority on that as O'Brian seems to receive more accolade.

I read Master and Commander a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. Haven't read any more yet, although at some point I will. However, I've read a lot of Alexander Kent's naval fiction based in the same era and I'm more a fan of his than O'Brian's. But I think I may be in the minority on that as O'Brian seems to receive more accolade.

oh geez what are you doing giving me yet ANOTHER author to peruse! I read Forester's Hornblower series many years ago. Kent huh? I'll give it a look.

you aren't the same ice monkey as posted on AARM/CARM are you?

I don't normally read historical fiction but I really enjoy O'Brian's books. I'm totally at sea (ahem) when it comes to nautical matters and the first few books were rather tough going. I'm now getting ready to start Treason's Harbour (#9) and if I still don't completely understand all the details I at least have a better appreciation and familiarity with the esoteric workings of large sailing ships. (Kind of like Stephen, I suppose).

I've been reading in softcover now, but am going to make the switch to hardcover (and such lovely covers they are, too).

Oh, and to answer the OP. There are 20 books and an unfinished 21st.

I have become a huge fan of HF these days. Would you guys recommend Master and Commander series or Hornblower? Adventure,characters,the world is better in the two series?

I enjoyed it but have too many series to finish all of these...

Though the sight of the 'captain' being dragged through Spain covered in a bear skin.....hahahahahahahahaha

Oh, no not another historical fiction author... I loved the M&C movie, and I can imagine that the books are a lot better even.

I have become a huge fan of HF these days. Would you guys recommend Master and Commander series or Hornblower? Adventure,characters,the world is better in the two series?

Hornblower buckles more swashes, or swashes more buckles (or whatever!):rolleyes:, but O'Brian's books are better written, more cerebral, more historically accurate and even funnier. I've read most of them. Twice.

I have borrowed Master and Commander so i will see if its as good they say.

I like my HF to be historical accurate specially if its a time like in these books , which i dont know too much of.

Hornblower buckles more swashes, or swashes more buckles (or whatever!):rolleyes:, but O'Brian's books are better written, more cerebral, more historically accurate and even funnier. I've read most of them. Twice.

His writing style is unique. He dispenses with transitional verbiage. Captain Jack says something like "Would someone please go get the doctor?" The next sentence might be: "Ah, there you are Stephen." Saves a lot of reading time and gets right into the heart of the action, of which there is considerable. The dialogue and what descriptive details there are provide a wonderful insight into the period of time in question. Much the same as Doyle does in the Sherlock Holmes tales.

Regards,

Jim

I just finished reading Men-of War, Patrick O'brian's non-fiction historical perspective of the British Admiralty in the period that the Aubrey/Maturin novels encompass. I guess I'm glad I got to it before I read any more of the books (I've got the first three under my belt so far). It really reveals much of the thinking he puts into his stories. Not to mention showing where he took historical events and used them for story lines. A short, but very worthwhile read. It should make further traversal of the novels all that much more entertaining.

Jim

Alexander Kent's books are quite good as you get to follow the lead from Midshipman to death and the character was planned out well.
He is a plausible age at the right time during the most interesting events.
For example when he's young he's in small quick ships that suit the American Revolutionary war as there wasn't many fleet actions. He is there at Trafalgar. the Nile, 1812 etc.

The only thing I have against Kent's Bolitho series is that it gets a wee bit formulaic....the stories always seem to lead up to a climactic battle about 2 chapters from the end, in which most of the characters we have met in this particular story are killed off.
IMHO, the Hornblower stories by C.S.Forester are superior, because of the fine writing in them...

A fair comparison....if you prefer Tolkien to Eddings, try the Foresters first...if vice-versa, you'll probably prefer the Kents. O'Brien comes somewhere in the middle.

You think Forester is better than O´Brien then ?

Im gonna try Hornblower too simply cause i liked the tv show the little i saw.

Of what i read O´Brien, his writing didnt impress me too much. I like historical realism and accuracy in some degree but the adventure of the times its more important for me.

Well, they're about as different as you can get and still be writing on basically the same subject.
You'll probably find Forester slightly more old-fashioned...there's a lot of descriptive paragraphs, and the pace seems slower. But his accuracy is second-to-none, and the self-doubting, introspective Hornblower is a model of character drawing. I never felt as "there" with O'Brien's Aubrey.

Horatio Hornblower was actually Gene Roddenberry's nspiration for the Captain Kirk character. I agree with some of the above posts, that Hornblower is more action-packed than O'Brian. However, O'Brian is the better read. More meat on the bones, so to speak.

Of the two (I haven't read Kent), I would have to choose O'Brian, without a doubt. He is definitely more historically accurate, in both description and dialogue. The novels also cover a rather underwritten topic, namely espionage in the Napoleonic period. Jack Aubrey is often the cover for Stephen Maturin's exploits as a spy. Also, our heroes are not perfect. Aubrey is "that Lion at sea and Ass ashore", and Maturin, though brilliant, is a laudenum addict.

Other historical topics are worked in to the narrative in brilliantly inventive ways that only add to the depth of the reading experience. For instance, in The Yellow Admiral there is a really excellent description, spread out over most of the book, of the Enclosure movement that took place in England in the first half of the nineteenth century. This is where the local landowners fenced, or enclosed, the Commons, where previously anyone was free to pasture their animals. This had a major impact on the lower classes, and O'Brian works it seemlessly into the story. This is precisely the way historical fiction should be written.

If the history ain't right, then it ain't historical fiction.

Well , I would choose Hornblower - such an interesting character and the way that he develops throughout the series , from a sea-sick junior to the higher echelons of the English Navy is highly enjoyable.

The Hornblower of the novels is nothing like that of the tv series though

I absolutely adore O'Brian - he's probably my favorite author (though Lois McMaster Bujold gives him a run for his money). I don't mind the proliferation of technical terms and explanations - one does not need to understand them completely, just their gist, and I find they do add much to the atmosphere.

I could never get into Kent's books; they just never grabbed me. I do quite like both C.S. Forrester and Dewey Lambdin. Lambdin isn't nearly so good a writer as O'Brian, and pays much less attention to historical detail, but his lead character *is* quite a nice bit of relief, if you've just finished reading a bit of self-indulgent Hornblower gloominess, I find. ;)

But for humor, grace of prose, realism and simple humanity, O'Brian beats them all hands down.