Best game soundtrack?

Rock n Roll Racing, introduced to some classic rock songs playing that game :).

Jill Valentine learning to play Moonlight Sonata in the original Resident Evil would be one of my favourite music moments in gaming.

The music for Eve is awesome. I never got into the game particularly, but the music left a definite impression and I've downloaded most of it since.

For atmosphere; Homeworld (semi-ambiant and unsettling)

For stir-the-blood; Conquest, Frontier Wars (epic sweep)

FF VII, Red XIII's music during the Leto scenes. And of course the main theme itself.

Now, I will also admit that Wipeout introduced me to The Crystal Method, and Gran Turismo (I forget which version) got me into Garbage and Feeder (the UK version of Gran Turismo had a different track listing than the US version I discovered, on moving to the US and repurchasing it - might never have found those two bands otherwise!) So those are probably the two most influential game soundtracks for me, though of course the music wasn't written explicitly for the game.

The Prodigy's Firestarter will always remind me of the Gare d'Europa track from Wipeout 2097, in fact a few bars and I could probably still lead you round the track corner by corner :) Classic series that got so many things right including the music.

Morrowind HAS to have the best of All time lol

You are all overlooking the best soundtrack of any game ACE COMBAT 2

look it up on youtube

:)

Morrowind HAS to have the best of All time lol

I do agree with you...

Other breathtaking OST, IMHO, are Planescape Torment, Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Empires, Jekyll & Hyde, Age of Wonders...

Some other masterpieces:

-Ascendancy,
-Headhunter,
-Dark Messiah,
-Heimdall 2,
-Arcanum (violins!)
-Ecochrome 1 & 2 (even more violins!)
-Fallout 3 (classic hits),
-Sanitarium,
-Lords of the Realm 2,
-The Longest Journey.

Best,

Tusitala

Of the Final Fantasies, I'd say 6 and 7 had the best soundtracks, I loved the tune in the intro of 6.

Outside of Final Fantasy, I'd say Persona 3 and 4 both had memorable soundtracks. Going a bit older, Romancing Saga 3's soundtrack was a tour de force of awesome battle tunes. I haven't played that for years, but I found myself whistling the boss tune at work today.

What?!? Four pages and no Tomb Raider yet! Heresy!!!!!!

Every game since Angel of Darkness (with one glaring exception) has been a total gem. These would include Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld.

I know it's already been put out, but Final Fantasy 6 totally corners the best music. Chrono Trigger comes in a close second.