Authors/Publishers/Editors with MySpace profiles...

Justin Thorne

www.justinthorne.com
I know many members in the 'Lounge' have profiles, but I was wondering how many of the authors, publishers and editors here have profiles?

Authors - do you have one profile if you have multiple titles in publication or do you create one for each book?

If anyone is interested, I have one HERE for my book and HERE for my music.

Justin Thorne said:
I know many members in the 'Lounge' have profiles, but I was wondering how many of the authors, publishers and editors here have profiles?

Authors - do you have one profile if you have multiple titles in publication or do you create one for each book?

If anyone is interested, I have one HERE for my book and HERE for my music.

Mine is here http://www.myspace.com/williemeikle

Just the one, not one for each book....

Willie

I love acoustic guitar, and your folkie vibe.

Also Willie I like the idea of your Watchers Series, though am not a big fan of vampires. Have you got any extracts or reviews posted anywhere mate?

PM me a safe address and I'll gladly send you a complimentary CD...

You don't hear the words "I love acoustic guitar, and your folkie vibe." very often these days!

I would appreciate that mate, and will of course spread the word.

EDIT: PS Willie feel free to send me your trilogy. :)

i have one for my writing, and an lj one, i prefer live journal tho. i just findi t easier to chat and communicate on there with other writers,

Justin Thorne said:

Had a listen to Fools and it sounds like good stuff :) Reminds me of Dave Matthews, but with a very different voice.

It's having trouble connecting to your other tracks atm :(

the_faery_queen said:
i have one for my writing, and an lj one, i prefer live journal tho. i just findi t easier to chat and communicate on there with other writers,

I recently set up a myspace account, but I don't use it (yet). I do have a livejournal that I post to occasionally. I suppose when I get very serious about my writing and start getting things out there, I'll start posting some of my work up there.

friends lock it on livejournal, dunno if you can on myspace! just so that it isn't considered published and make sit less likely to be stolen (most mags don't think something is published if it is friends locked, only if it is available freely to a wide auidence, at least, that's what i've discovered)

i find myspace FAR too confusing. it has groups AND forums? i don't get the point. and it seems less chatty.

the_faery_queen said:
i find myspace FAR too confusing. it has groups AND forums? i don't get the point. and it seems less chatty.
I just find it cluttered and annoying. I forgot I had a myspace until seeing this thread, so I figured I'd go check on it. What did I find? New messages, of course! Several webcam invitations, friend requests from more random whores, and one from someone who could possibly just be a normal person. What's really bad, is at this point, I really can't tell if it's a random legit person, or another myspace prostitute. @#$%! :(

I don't like MySpace because it's confusing and user unfriendly with far too much advertising. I found it simpler to make my own website as I had far more control over what goes on it.

I don't think anyone can deny that MySpace is clunky to use... however, you can't beat it for networking and finding a readerbase... or in most cases a fanbase as musicians tend to use the service a lot as MySpace allows you to host and stream four songs.

Like anything, you shouldn't use MySpace in isolation just as you shouldn't simply use an official Website as your only communication channel. Most (and again, this is mainly for musicians and bands) will have an official site, host a blog, have a MySpace profile and will be active with other online communities relevant to their audience... as you do here.

More and more authors are setting-up profiles as are editors, publishers and magazines.

You may find it confusing, but your customer base may not...

MySpace is simply a community and if you want to tap into it, you have to be in it.

Websites are great because you can control what goes on there, but how are you driving traffic to it, finding people to read it and it's also a one-way communication channel... I.E. you are talking to your readers... you're not interacting.

I tried using mySpace but I couldn't really get the hang of it, maybe someone can give me an online tutorial hehe. I have a blog which I devoted about two weeks to then kind of gave up on that too. Its now just a random splurge of stuff. It did begin as some sort of self promotion thing but I think maybe I'm just too damn modest for it all. Oh and I would give you the link tomy blog but I cant post links yet!!! Hey I checked yours out Justin and your music is not bad, not bad at all! (I would post a wink but they are also banned for the mo)