Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Depp as Wonka?

They are remaking Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory with Mr. Eye Candy himself, Johnny Depp as Wonka. Now I've always been a fan of Gene Wilder's but I can really see Depp as the kooky chocolate man. I think he could do just as well and add his own wackiness to the role. Can you believe he got an oscar nomination for Pirates? I'm flabbergasted - but I think it is deserved.

Re: Depp as Wonka?

I can completely see Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka. He plays those off-kilter characters so well. And yes, dwndrgn, eye candy is an appropriate characterization. But one of the things I admire him so much for is being willing, in beauty-worshipping Hollywood, to play characters that depend on him hiding his looks. For example, his role as Hunter S. Thompson and in the later parts of "Blow".

As far as his nomination for "Pirates", I'm really rooting for Bill Murray just on general principles, but if Murray doesn't get it, I sure hope Depp does.

Are you sure that Depp is slated for the role? I thought that I had heard that Christopher Walken was supposed to play Wonka. It would be great with Depp though seeing as he is one of my favorite actors out there. I also agree that he would be good for the role seeing as it is a little bit offbeat. He tends to like those roles as opposed to regular, more boring ones.

I've also heard about this. Apparently it was one of Depp's favorite stories and movies (mine too!) and he is really into it. Should be good - eye-candy apart, Depp is certainly one of the more refreshing talents in the Hollywood scene.

I like the old one :rolleyes:
I don't understand why people remake films anyway its just a waste,
mind you titanic was a remake I suppose

Amidala said:
I like the old one :rolleyes:
I don't understand why people remake films anyway its just a waste,
mind you titanic was a remake I suppose
*sssh* dont talk about Titanic! Potentially the greatest disaster movie of all time, made into a romance. (Sorry, I'll finish this rant before I begin it!)

Yeah, I totally agree, why remake stuff? The Italian Job springs to mind, as does The Time Machine. On the otherhand, I could see this remake being superb, Tim Burton did a very good job of Batman and Planet of The Apes so fingers crossed this will be good too. As for Depp, the guy is so incredibly diverse. He is a true method actor, only DeNiro does it better in my opinion. The interviews with George Jung on the DVD of Blow, and the documentary on the Donnie Brasco DVD really explain how devoted the guy is. This is one remake I am eagerly awaiting.

................. on the other hand imagine Christopher Walken as Willy Wonka! My Ford that would be sinister! I would love that just as much I think! :D

Bigmacscanlan said:
................. on the other hand imagine Christopher Walken as Willy Wonka! My Ford that would be sinister! I would love that just as much I think! :D
That is a truly frightenting concept. If Walken played it, it would scare all the little kids.:D Mind you, I'm not saying I don't like Walken - he's done some interesting work. But it is a kid's story, after all. It'd be like "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T." The film was based on a Dr. Seuss story, but it scared the crap out of me when I saw it when I was a little kid.

littlemissattitude said:
That is a truly frightenting concept. If Walken played it, it would scare all the little kids.:D Mind you, I'm not saying I don't like Walken - he's done some interesting work. But it is a kid's story, after all. It'd be like "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T." The film was based on a Dr. Seuss story, but it scared the crap out of me when I saw it when I was a little kid.
I just had these visions of a cross between the Gene Wilder's Wonka and Gabriel from The Prophecy, coupled with Willy Wonka's hatred of children, that could be one dark surreal film, throw in a little Tim Burtonesque dark landscape, and the kids would be emotionally scarred for life I think! :D

Bigmacscanlan said:
I just had these visions of a cross between the Gene Wilder's Wonka and Gabriel from The Prophecy, coupled with Willy Wonka's hatred of children, that could be one dark surreal film, throw in a little Tim Burtonesque dark landscape, and the kids would be emotionally scarred for life I think! :D
Whoa...a grimly fiendish Willy Wonka? I almost wish someone would make that one...

Those little Oompa Loompas could be quite scary, too.

Willy Wonka

Just so everyone who is as excited as i am knows, Tim Burton's Willy Wonka is coming out in the UK 29th July!
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO:D

I cant wait...it looks so dark and twisted...ahh just the way i like films...you can always depend on Tim Burton:)

Re: Willy Wonka

Looks good

let's hope it's "Sleepy Hollow" Burton and not "Planet of the Apes" Burton who turns up.

Gene Wilder was a fantastic Willy Wonka though - he'll be hard pressed to beat that.. :)

Aye, should be a very trippy movie. But I've heard that this edition sticks more closely with the actual book than did the original movie.

Apparently the guy who wrote the screenplay for this one never watched the first movie until his version was done, and was shocked when he finally did see it at how much lighter his version apparently is...

But don't take my word for it, they must have done some re-writing in the year or so that the film's been in production...I can't wait...:D

Winters_Sorrow said:
Gene Wilder was a fantastic Willy Wonka though - he'll be hard pressed to beat that.. :)
Oh...I think my beloved JD will rise to the occasion quite admirably - in his own way...:p

Certainly not the type of film, I would run to watch, especially since I was not over enamoured of the 1st one. However the twin charms of Johnny Depp, and Tim Burton may lure me to the Dark side on this one.

Saw charlie and the choclate factory tonight...

...and i quite liked it! Its completly different to the original, but i think its very important to rememeber with this that its not a remake of the original but a new interpretation of the book. But of course i will have to compare and contrast... :D

One of the biggest contrasts in charlie and the chocolate factory is the opening. Theres a lot more focus on charlies relationship that he has with his family, and also we learn a lot more about granpa joe. I would go so far to say that i actually think that the beginning of the film is the best part of the film.

I thought that johnny depps performance was amazing. He does what he always does - a performace which isn't what you're expecting. I felt quite uneasy in some parts of the films (especially at the beginning due to a michael jackson type performance from depp), but more than that i just found wonka to be quite freaky and scary in this version. I'm not sure whose version of willy wonka i prefere to be honest, I loved wilders manic performance - they're both completly different and both work in the films.

The children....I'm not a fan of child actors... but i thought the boy who played charlie was great, he had a nice innocence to him, didn't annoy me at all. Other good child performances came from the fat boy (i cant rememeber his characters name), while the other child actors were average at best (although teevee boy was annoying - which is how hes supposed to be i suppose).

One of the things that did annoy me considerably throughout the films was the oompa loompas. Was way too much CGI and the song routines lacked charm. While in willy wonka and the choclate factory the oompa loompas are characters that everyone likes, i got the impression from listening in to other people after the film that I wasn't the only one who found them annoying.

I do prefer the original, maybe its because its something that I've grown up with, maybe because its shorter. But this film isn't one that i feel that i could or would watch everytime it came on TV. Theres something lacking and I'm not quite sure what it is... I do intend to see it again when it comes out on DVD because im interested in the special features, but its not a film that i would say that everyone has to see. Its a good and enjoyable film, but its not great.