Top 3 John Carpenter films

Dirk Gently

Top 3 Carpenter films

I'm interested in what 3 john carpenter films you would rate, here's mine

1) Escape from new york
2) The Thing
3) Assault on Precinct 13

Thats it, only reason for picking them 3 is because quite frankly there all awesome, nuff said.

byeeeeeeee

Top three John Carpenter movies? Ooh, that's a tough one; if it had been the top five that would have been easier, but to pick just three... oh boy, that really forces you to make some tough choices!

I could easily copy Dirk's selection but I think I'll mix it up a little:

1. The Thing
  2. Escape from New York
  3. Prince of Darkness
So, reasons...

1. It's a great SF movie that was ahead of it's time and really hasn't dated like a lot of SF films do. The cast are uniformly excellent and believable and unlike, say, Alien, it has a monster that even when the film's over you still don't really know what it actually looks like but despite that - or perhaps because of that - it's a truly iconic monster. The ending is just note perfect; left unresolved the audience can make it's own mind up who's a Thing or not rather than being fed everything on a silver platter.
  2. Could be my #1 JC film so easily (I think it was the first I ever saw) but I'm going to dock it half a point for being set in 1997, which was the future when it was made but obviously is more than a decade behind us now. Still, another uniformly brilliant cast and great set design. Does look very '80s but at its best the '80s could look very cool and Escape from New York is still a stone-cold cool classic.
  3. For me this is one of JC's under-rated classics, all too often overshadowed by the likes of Halloween, The Thing, Escape from New York or even Dark Star (which I don't rate that highly myself). I just love the philosophy behind PoD and again, like The Thing, the ending is left open so you can decide what happens next for yourself.

1. The Thing
2. Escape from New York
3. Christine

It's that third one that's tough.

Carpenter was so damn good back in the 70's and 80's. It is really hard to just go these are my favourite 3 films. But I will try...

1. The Thing

One of the greatest horror/SF films of all time. It's a shame this tanked at the box office upon release. Just like Christine, this had some of the best FX put onto celluloid. And still looks damn good at 1080p, which is quite an achievement for a film that was made nearly 30 years ago!

1. Escape From New York

The concept of Manhattan Island being turned into a maximum security prison was just too cool for me, the Post-Apocalyptic nut I am. I bought this on Blu-Ray recently and it has unluckily aged quite significantly, but is still a fun film.

3. Halloween

Just as Jojajihisic pointed out, the third is the hardest. I love so many of Carpenter's films and own most of them in my collection. So I had to choose one of his most well known, which surprisingly is the one that nobody else has picked yet. Halloween is what you could call a homage to Bob Clark's Black Christmas and Mario Bava's invention of the modern Giallo. Halloween redefined the slasher/horror genre by not only having the "through the eyes of a killer" view, but also "Where's Wally" pop-ups of Michael Myers throughout. The concept of having the audience see the killer, while the protagonist had no idea would have been brilliant at the cinema, as everyone would have been screaming at the screen for the last quarter of the movie. :)

1. Escape from New York
2. They live
3. The Thing

And it must be said my favourite quote at the moment " I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick arse and I'am all out of bubble gum !!!!!!!

Re: Top 3 Carpenter films

I'm interested in what 3 john carpenter films you would rate, here's mine

1) Escape from new york
2) The Thing
3) Assault on Precinct 13
Those are also my top three. I might switch the order around though - maybe the Thing, then Escape from New York.

Dark Star is good but a college project.

I found Escape from NY and Escape from LA to be basically the same movie but liked both. Christine was good, I enjoyed Starman quite a bit, Jeff Bridges is quite a good actor.

As above!

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. Escape from New York

Although the order may vary depending on what I'm in the mood for..

Yeah, Carpenter and Russell did seem to hit their stride about then.

1. The Thing (script and production values)
2. Escape from New York ('Call me Snake...')
3. Big Trouble in Little China (Guilty pleasure - the comedy is underrated)