Greg Keyes

rune

rune
I've read the first book from his Kingdom of Thorn and Bone series but none of his other works :)

Can anyone give me any idea what his other books are like?

I'm in the middle of reading his "The Briar King". A very enjoyable book so far. The characters seem to be well thought out and there is intrigue all over the place.

I'm afraid I've sunk myself into another series...

...ok, I just realized this is the same series you are talking about...:eek:

Did you enjoy "The Briar King"? I'm a little over half-way through and I would love to hear your thoughts on it.:)

I did enjoy the Briar King, some very good ideas in it. I did find the politics a bit heavy going though and really slowed the plot down which was a shame because the characters were interesting.

I've noticed that you don't like politics in the books you read.;) It doesn't seem to heavy-handed to me and I am quite enjoying it...I'll be back when I've finished with the whole book.:)

I read the Briar King when it first came out and now I have the Charnal Prince to read. I want to reread Briar King first to refresh my memory. It is a marvelous story. I recall being very impressed with the characters. I did not find the pace at all slow.

I have been recommending Briar King for the Book Club for two months. If you would like to see the group read it and have a discussion, then vote for the January selection.

I'm finished with it...and it was sooo worth it. Alot of fun to read, and some great characters. I didn't think it was too political at all. I can't wait to get my hands on the Charnal Prince!:D

i just picked up the briar king today after seeing it in the lead on the january poll. i'm excited to get started on it. i have a 4 hour plane ride to look forward to tomorrow so i'm sure i will get a fat chunk of it read between eating my pretzels and staring out the window.

erickad71 said:
I've noticed that you don't like politics in the books you read.;) It doesn't seem to heavy-handed to me and I am quite enjoying it...I'll be back when I've finished with the whole book.:)
Your right there, I hate politics in books, and find a lot of fantasy bring it into their plots. I think there is quite a lot in this book because of the inter-fighting between royal family members and the fighting between countries. I know there has to be a good back story to fantasy books, but I for me I find the politic angle boring.

I'm interested to know which books are your favorites that don't have politics play any part? I don't mind the political points, I think it adds a little extra to some books. I wouldn't care for a book that politics was the sole focus. I know you read a lot, so could you recommend a couple of your favorites?:)

The Briar King is January's Book Club discussion choice so please hold all further comments for that thread so that those who have yet to finish the book (including myself :p ) can do so without worrrying about spoilers and whatnot. Looks like it will be a good discussion :)

I managed to find The Blackgod in a 2nd hand bookshop this week. Now it mentions being a sequel to The Waterborn. Just wondering if I can read this one without having to buy The Waterborn.

Has anyone read these books?

I managed to find The Blackgod in a 2nd hand bookshop this week. Now it mentions being a sequel to The Waterborn. Just wondering if I can read this one without having to buy The Waterborn.

Has anyone read these books?

Rune I would highly recommedn reading Waterborn first, as Black God it directly cocludes the adventures chronicled in Waterborn. they are not standlone at all.

I liekd this work but admittedly l preferred his Age of Unreason work more.

Regarding The Briar King, if any are interested I reviewed it [url=http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/158[/url]]HERE

I found both Waterborn and Black God to be very interesting. Keyes gives us some unique characters, magic and belief systems to follow along with. I love the way he has his 'gods' work together and against each other. I see similarities with Erikson's Gardens of the Moon - the gods all have distinct personalities, they are characters in their own right. I won't go into detail for those of you who haven't read these yet but I loved the twist he put in regarding the River God and his 'waterborn'. Those are some cheeky people!

Greg Keyes is one of my fav authors with his current quartet Kingdom Of Thorn and Bone. I've read The Briar King and The Charnel Prince and am eagerly awaiting the soon to be released Blood Knight.

I agree with Ainulindale's reveiw that Keye's isn't too far behind the top EPIC fantasy authors like GRRM, Erikson and Bakker. A really enjoyable and interesting story that in the main is well written.

I've not read any of Mr Keye's work other than his current series but the Waterborn and Black God sound like they're worth a look....:confused:

His current series certainly comes strongly recommended IMHO...:D

I've only read his Kingdom of Thorn and Bone series, which was pretty good. There were interesting, entertaining (if sometimes archetypal) characters, a decent plot with quite a few surprises, some intrigue - a simplified version of the politics in ASOIAF. I think the Charnel Prince was a significant improvement on the Briar King, mainly because the latter focused on its namesake, which IMO wasn't a particularly entertaining plotline. However, the prologue of the Briar King was excellent - I just wish the rest had been of the same quality. It's not up there with Bakker, Erikson or Martin, and just a little behind JV Jones' Sword of Shadows, while a little better than Hobb's Farseer.

Exactly where I would've placed him Brys, you sure we weren't seperated at birth LOL!...:p :D

Picked up Briar King on the cheap over the weekend, after seeing some positive reviews for it here. Have moved it up my to-read list...