Difference between Dark Jedis and Sith?

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Pardon me if this has been discussed before, I had a look and couldn't find anything relevant.

In another thread someone described Dooku in Ep 2 as a Dark Jedi - that is, as far as the Jedi Council knew - and that this was a far less serious thing than a Sith.

It seems to me that calling someone a Dark Jedi is a little sinister since that to be one all you have to do is disagree with the Jedi Council to the point where you leave its prescribed route.

I thought that although Dooku could be described as a Rebel against the Jedi Council, and the Senate, it seemed a bit over the top to call him a dark jedi.

Wouldn't a Dark Jedi be someone who feeds off the dark side of the force, that gives in to baser temptations etc etc?
Is Anakin one already by the end of Ep2?

Anakin's definately on the path by the end of Ep II, and yeah, I think your definition is accurate.

Qui-Gon was more of a rebel within the Jedi order, doing things the Jedi Council disapproved of, sometimes doing things they forbid, but he definately was NOT feeding off the dark side or giving in to his baser instincts. He still managed to keep his emotions in check.

Anakin, on the other hand, has already given in to revenge, used the force to aid him in acting on this revenge, and is well on the way to becoming a dark Jedi. The only thing that is saving him from being one already is his regret, or his guilt. Whichever way you see it. When he confesses his actions to Padme he's obviously conflicted about it.

I think Dooku became facinated by the dark side while he was still a Jedi, but may have been courted to the sith before becoming a dark Jedi. Perhaps he was a dark Jedi for years, hiding his actions from the others, then was recruited by Sidious once Maul was killed.

Hopefully, it'll be explained in Ep III.

yeah I think that sounds about right too.

I agree that Anakin could possibly be considered Dark Jedi or at least well on his way by the end of the episode being as how hate and rage are parts of the Dark side, and he was definitly channelling that when he went after the raiders.

I wonder if if Yoda and the other Masters sometimes think Love leads to the Dark Side as well.

Originally posted by Diamond9697
I wonder if if Yoda and the other Masters sometimes think Love leads to the Dark Side as well.

Yeah, I wonder that, too. They sort of flinch at any display of deep emotion... until Luke frells it all up, anyway. ;)

i dont think that they think it leads to the dark side, but more that they see it as something that can be used to subvert a jedi, or turn him to the dark side very easily. so they frown upon. and i cant blame them. i mean look what happened to Anikin when he saw his mom die:(

Originally posted by Yoda
"Pain leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

"Fear is the path to the dark side... fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate.. hate leads to suffering."

"Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things.... You are reckless!"

"But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

"A Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger... fear... aggression. The dark side are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan’s apprentice."

Anakin already feels pain, anger, agresssion and this lead to hate and suffering, so he is definitely well along the dark path already.

About love: I posted this before, but there seems to be a big difference between the original trilogy and the sequels. It was Luke and company's mutual comradery and feelings for his friends that won the day. That's why Han came back to cover him in the final Death Star run, and they risked everything to rescue Han from Jabba.

In Attack of the Clones, Yoda misses defeating Dooku to prevent the column falling on Obi-Wan and Anakin, and Anakin has to disobey direct orders to go to Geonosis anyway to rescue Obi-Wan. It seems to show that having feelings for people gets in the way of making the correct decisions.

But maybe this is what the 'Balance of the Force' is all about. That Love is important; that it is in equal balance with Hate.

I didn't realise there was a difference between Dark Jedi and Sith, but maybe Dark Jedi like Anakin do show love, but Sith can only show Hate??

Dark Jedi Or Sith

I have read extensivly through the Expanded universe and have discovered that to be a 'Sith' is to learn and practice the ancient teachings of sith lords gone by for example- Naga Sadow who created a race of beings on Yavin4 to serve him as a god and then there was Exar Kun who also has dealings on Yavin4 where he was defeated and his dark spirit was entombed in one of the ancient temples. There are also mentions of a Shadow Academy that actively teaches the way of the Sith. Dark Jedi on the other hand are mearly Actual Jedi using the power of the Dark Side before slipping out of the Jedi order to follow the way of the Sith.

Interesting.... thank you all for your thoughts, I don't really have much to add, but some of the definitions definitely make more sense than what has been very loosely suggested by the movies.

Yeah, that's why I was so confused over the whole thing. I think I am beginning to understand it a little better now.

Sith have always been Sith. Dark Jedi are Jedi that have fallen to the darkside, though they aren't all that bad. There is something that makes them act the way they do. I write fan fiction and I have a dark jedi of my own creation in that. You're welcome to come along to read it if you wish.

Back