Best performance by these actors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyboy

Hey!

I think these are all great actors, but my question is what do you guys think has been the best performance they have given and why.

Peter Sellers
Marlon Brando
Robert De Niro
Tim Roth
Gary Oldman
James Stewart
Christopher Walken
Steve Buscemi
Robert Carlyle
Morgan Freeman
Samuel L. Jackson
Sean Penn

Thanks you so much to anyone who finds the time to do this.:)

Welcome to ascifi Johnnyboy, hope you like it here. Any questions just ask! You might find This Thread of interest :D

Is there a particular reason behind these questions, or the reason you picked those particular actors? I have to say that I know little about the art of acting, so I have picked the performances below from movies that I love, and performances that have moved me in some way, I can't tell you that the performances were technically perfect or anything, just that I enjoyed them immensely.

Peter Sellers' greatest performance, without shadow of a doubt is his wonderful, multiple-role, hammy turns in Dr Strangelove, which is coincidently one of my favorite films of all time.

Marlon Brando - gotta be On the Waterfront. I coulda been a contender and all that. Another of my favourite films, Brando just burnt up the screen.

Robert de Niro - hmm, not sure about this one, I mean it seems way too obvious to pick Taxi Driver over Rocky and Bullwinkle ;)
I honestly am not sure - probably Goodfellas for me.

Tim Roth - the only role he has really done that stands out for me is in Reservoir Dogs. I also thought he was very good in Rob Roy, but I am probably alone in that...

Gary Oldman - as Dr Smith in Lost in Space. Seriously.

James Stewart - I haven't seen that many of his films really, he is great in It's a Wonderful Life - could that movie worked as well with another actor? I'm not sure. I also liked Philadelphia Story quite a lot too. For actors of that era, I would pick Cary Grant every time however.

Christopher Walken - thinking further about this one. I saw the Dead Zone recently, and he was very good in it, but I think The Deer Hunter was probably the performance he gave that affected me most.

Steve Buscemi, he's just fantastic in everything, but I am going to plump for his saddo portrayal in Ghost World. He brought something really special to that movie, although it is obvious even his ultimate nerd still managed to have a certain cool factor.

Robert Carlyle, after watching Hamish Macbeth it was pretty amazing to see him in Trainspotting as the pyschopathic Begbie. Very frightening, expecially since moving to Edinburgh and meeting similar types on occasion :errrr:

Morgan Freeman - Seven I suppose. It seems to be a stereotypical role that has been done to death, close-to-retirement perfectionist cops takes rookie in hand, but I think perhaps you could say that Freeman did it best here. Much better than his later efforts in his Ashley Judd movies.

Samuel L Jackson - not either of the Star Wars prequels, that's for sure!
I saw Changing Lanes when it came out at the cinema in Canada, and I was totally blown away by it, Jackson doesn't stand out as much as Affleck, but I still think it is one of his best.

Sean Penn - never an actor I liked particularly. I can't even think of anything I would rate him highly in - and no, I haven't seen I Am Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.