What was the last movie you saw?

More Barbie princess/fairy movies than I care to remember, over the last couple of months that is, just Mermaidia today. Sure they're just rolling ads for Mattel toys but so were the Transformers and He-man cartoons that were favourites of mine as a kid. My daughter loves them and they're not quite as annoying as I would have thought (mind you I was expecting really really annoying), at least until the replay count gets too high.

Finally got up the nerve to watch the new The Day The Earth Stood Still on DVD. There were things I didn't like: the overly snarky Kathy Bates character, the overly anthropomorphous Gort (who didn't even get to make up his own name), the plethora of Roger Ramjet military types, etc.

But, at another level, I thought it was better suited to the 21st century than the original film from the cold war 1950s could ever be. The cynicism about humankind's future, if nothing else, fit the "updated" scenario well. In the original, the scientists just got Klaatu to trust us by virtue of their superior intellect. No such deal in the remake. We had to make a trade off of Machiavellian proportions. But maybe that is appropriate, considering how recalcitrant the human animal tends to be.

Watching Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. Ah, Jim Carey, how I love you.

Lo-hoooo-ser-herrr.

Also watched Chicken Run yesterday.

I saw Shichinin no samurai(Seven Samurai) by Akira Kurosawa with Mifune and co. It was a lot of mundane,realism in it. The down side of the honour,glory of the Samurai. Also great action,sword scenes for 1954 film.

Full of memorable characters,great acting. I laughed alot at Toshiru Mifune's samurai wannabe thug,peasant. Must be the only 3 hour film i have seen that wasn't too long,you wish was 4 hours instead.

One of rare movies i would rate a perfect 10/10. Sure it got huge classic rep but it fully deserves it,wasnt weaker than the high expectations.

More Barbie princess/fairy movies than I care to remember, over the last couple of months that is, just Mermaidia today. Sure they're just rolling ads for Mattel toys but so were the Transformers and He-man cartoons that were favourites of mine as a kid. My daughter loves them and they're not quite as annoying as I would have thought (mind you I was expecting really really annoying), at least until the replay count gets too high.

Thanks to my three year olds little tantrums, today I have watched BARBIE - PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER 4 times along with BARBIE - 12 DANCING PRINCESS 2 times.

My head was about to explode :eek:, thank god i managed to pinch my missus's DS and buried myself in touchmaster for awhile

The other night we watched The good,The bad and The Weird, an entertaining and funny take on the old classic western, this one set in Manchuria, wherever that is!

Just watched The Boat that Rocked. Brilliant film, loved it!

Last edited:
Wanted. Vapid script. Mailed-in performances. Pointless story. Loom of fate, my .....:mad:

I liked James McAvoy much better as Mr. Tumnus.

Thanks to my three year olds little tantrums, today I have watched BARBIE - PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER 4 times along with BARBIE - 12 DANCING PRINCESS 2 times.

My head was about to explode :eek:, thank god i managed to pinch my missus's DS and buried myself in touchmaster for awhile

My daughter got a new one for being good. I was sure we already had the one she picked so after a lot of discussion she agreed to buy another one. Of course when we got home she was right. You've got to love getting an 'told you so' and a sigh from a 4 year old :rolleyes:.

Thankfully that night I caught Robocop on tele, it's definitely starting to age especially the stop motion animation but it's still one of the better sf movies of the 80's (and there were some great ones). Plus you have to love the ED-209.

Watched District 9 today. Brilliant, and kinda weird and not at all what you expect from an alien movie.

Managed to get to see it on Friday - the whole family went (ok it was my brothers birthday). At first I was worried that it would keep that documentary esq. theme going the whole way through - luckly the lead actor (don't remember the name) and script was humerous at the start and they eventually dropped it :)

I really hope they don't make a sequal though - I don't think you can recapture that film again in a second version (at least not easily)

Just spread the joy that is Evil Dead to some crazy friends who had never seen it before (tut). I don't care what anyone else says, I absolutely love the blood and the prosthetics and the claymation. I think I just have a thing for budget horror films.

Speaking of which, we also watched the zombie film that I filmed/directed/acted/edited ( :rolleyes: ) after Evil Dead.

Love the Beast - A documentary about Eric Bana and a 1974 XB Falcon Coupe (pretty much the model of car from Mad Max) that he has owned since a teenager.

I really enjoyed it, it's not over fast moving or dramatic but Bana, his friends and family are easy to watch and it's interesting to see in what ways possessions can be important to people. At this point Bana could own a dozen Falcon Coupes each customised to what ever he wants but for Bana owning that car never seemed to be about that.

Riffi(1955)

It was a quality heist film Noir. Not Jean-Peirre Meiville level though.

Jules Servesin as Tony was great.

Had a fight night tonight...my friends and I watched both Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Ah, takes me back; real childhood watching, they are. Although I seem to say that a lot. I watched a hell of a lot of films back when I were a young 'un, it would seem.

Get over here!

Just watched an entertaining little British SF comedy called 'FAQ About Time Travel'
Quite funny!
116_xl.jpg

Last edited:
Carried on the wonderment that is Evil Dead by watching Evil Dead II (definitely my favourite). I love Ash. There are a few characters I would love to play. On stage, it would so be Iago, without a doubt. In film...Ash!