Best Robert Heinlein novel?

Best novel: Another vote for the Moon is a Harsh MIstress

Comment: I think Heinleins "juveniles" are still a lot better that some of the adult dreck published these days. I believe his juveniles are his single best body of work.

Now regarding Starship Troopers" Johnny is listing his choices "Cear at the bottom I put...K-9 Corps and Infantry.

I didn't bother to list the various non combatant auxiliary corps....(last part of Chapter II)

Middle of chapter XII (Johnnie is in Officer Candidate Training) " ....most veterans comes from the non combatant auxiliary services and have not been subject to the full rigors of military disicipline'; they have merely been harried, overworked, and endangered, ---Yet their votes count." Page 216 in my hardcover copy--may differ if you have a lter edition.

Later, could find this part, Johnnie mentions that auxiliary coprs members are use in "field testing equipment on Titan" and used as laborers in terraforming Venus.

Military service is what Johnnie chose; but Heinlein make it clear in Chapter Xii that the vote can be earned if you are willing to SERVE--and not just the military. The idea is that if you are willing to work for your vote, you can earn that vote. Chapter XII contains most of this.

I remember pretty clearly that it wasn't necessary to do combat drops or pilot warships to get the right to vote.

It's an interesting book.

I remember pretty clearly that it wasn't necessary to do combat drops or pilot warships to get the right to vote.

It's an interesting book.

no but it was a requirement to become sky marshal. being a citizen required serving a term successfully. even if you were physically unable to accomplish any tasks except testing caterpillars for fuzziness.

To become a citizen in troopers, a person had to willing place his or her life in jeopardy for the good of the Federation. Heinlein mentions testing powered armor on Pluto's moon (it was still a planet then).

For best book, I really enjoy Moon, Time, and Cat... One I haven't heard yet, but enjoy thoroughly is Number of the Beast. Give the man credit; four first-person plots running simultaneously and more or less coherently.

I enjoyed Starship Troopers, but I have to say I have always loved, Stranger in a Strange Land. I have been meaning to pick up the Cat that walked through Walls, but every time I remember, it's not in the store so I pick up something else instead. The one I really remember not caring much for was, Farnham's Freehold. The only story (so far) that I haven't really liked, but came recommended by a friend.

I've only read 3 so far, but I've enjoyed all of them. My ranking of the 3 from the one I liked most to the least is:
Stranger in a strange land
Starship troopers
The Moon is a harsh mistress

I've also bought "time enough for love", but I haven't had time enough to read it yet. Will update the list as I read more of his stuff.

Late arrival (as usual) to this thread but my favourites - as defined by re-reading regularly - would be:

Stranger in a Strange Land
The Puppet Masters
Starship Troopers
Glory Road

and of the 'lesser' works
Double Star

As the thread has just hit 150 posts (and incidentally, has been going for over five years!), here's a tabulated list.
Single mentions have been excluded.

Joint leaders: Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land, both with 13 votes.

Next, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, with 12 votes, followed by Time Enough for Love, with 10 votes.

After the Big Four, we have Glory Road, with 6 votes: then 4 votes each for Citizen of the Galaxy and Double Star.

3 votes each for Tunnel in the Sky, Have Space Suit, Will Travel and The Cat who Walks through Walls.

And four on 2 votes each: Friday, Job, I Will Fear No Evil and The Puppet Masters.

As the thread has just hit 150 posts (and incidentally, has been going for over five years!), here's a tabulated list.
Single mentions have been excluded.

Joint leaders: Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land, both with 13 votes.

Next, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, with 12 votes, followed by Time Enough for Love, with 10 votes.

After the Big Four, we have Glory Road, with 6 votes: then 4 votes each for Citizen of the Galaxy and Double Star.

3 votes each for Tunnel in the Sky, Have Space Suit, Will Travel and The Cat who Walks through Walls.

And four on 2 votes each: Friday, Job, I Will Fear No Evil and The Puppet Masters.

wow, so no votes for Friday, Job, the door into summer, methusalah's children, or any of the short story collections? sigh, thats just too bad.

pretty sure I voted stranger or troopers myself.

wow, so no votes for Friday, Job, the door into summer, methusalah's children, or any of the short story collections? sigh, thats just too bad.

pretty sure I voted stranger or troopers myself.

Given the thread title specifically says "novels", I can see why no one went for any of his collections... but I see your point.

As for the books you mention -- though I'd say they are all fine books, I don't think they are near his best (even though one of them is among my personal favorites -- but, then, another of my personal favorites is one most people simply can't stand: Beyond This Horizon). Still, it's interesting to see people's thoughts on the subject....

The first three named got one vote each, ghost (IIRC) - and as j.d. says, as the thread specifically said novel, I discounted the votes for any of the short stories.

J.D Which books do you think are his best then ?

Personally i'm a bit annoyed ST rank before Moon is a Harsh Mistress ;)

I was going to pick up "Time Enough for Love" until I saw how big it was...

Figuring out what Heinlein novel you think is the best is like trying to decide what your favorite Budweiser beer might be.
None of them are very good.

Sorry, I really don't get the whole Heinlein thing.

He's waaaaaaay overrated, in my opinion.

600 of Heinlein is very easy to read frankly it sounds like a gold mine his juvies annoyed at times how they were like 140-150 pages too fast reads.

None of the Heinlein novels I've read so far have been outstanding, but none of them have been bad either. I'm still looking for one of his books that will blow me away. I have high hopes for "The moon is a harsh mistress"...