Welcome Newbies

Hi =) I'm new to this forum. Name is Jen and I'm from Singapore. Nice to meet you all. A friend of mine introduced this forum to me =)

I too enjoy fantasy about worlds than space, as such I'm also not a SG fan ^_^

thanks! I don't read that much of fantasy, but I have a friend who's a big fan of fantasy, and slowly he's introducing me lots of fantasy writers. I hope to learn more things here!

Hello everyone! My name is Rob from Boise, ID. I love all kinds of fantasy and Sci-Fi, from Asimov to Dunsany to Robert E. Howard.

Hello...

It seems I am a newcomer on these boards. I hope to spend a pleasant time here with all of you.

Hi, Rider - if you go to the Introduction thread, here, and tell us a bit about yourself, you'll be amazed at the welcome and greetings you'll get!

Hello there, I am new to this forum but just wanted to declare my admiration for J.R.R. Tolkien.

I like all kinds of Sci-fi/fantasy but The Lord of the Rings it is undoubtably the best book I have read in my life (all 32 years).

While I thought the film was a good adaptation and the animated film was worthy too, they in no way compare with the experience of reading the book.

Hey all I'm new to this and i could use some help if u look at my latest post I need some suggestions

Hello all Tolkians.
I'm pretty much a newbie to Tolkien, just like I am to G.R.R.M. Actaully, today, I bought The Fellowship of the Ring for 25 cents. When it's sales price was 12:00 $.

Last edited:
Hello all! You might think me strange, but I love the Simillarion! I find LotR not as exciting to be honest. Please dont stone me to death! lol.

Hello all! You might think me strange, but I love the Simillarion! I find LotR not as exciting to be honest. Please dont stone me to death! lol.

I don't think I'd stone you, especially as I'm more than a little fond of the Silmarillion myself.....

Hey y'all! I'm a newbie here on the boards, but definitely not to Tolkein. I've been rereading LotR since I was 9 and that was a while back! (well, not that far back actually! :D) I actually just got that Silmirallion out of the library (AGAIN), much to the horror of my friends.They honestly have no appreciation of good literature!

IMO, Tolkien was a genius, without a doubt!

Ha! I just realised I spelt Silmarillion wrong! All that reading for nothing....:D I really need to concentrate more.

If you're quick (within 30 minutes of first posting, or something like that), you can edit a post. It means that no-one need ever know that you sometimes mistype words.

(Or get some of them in the wrong order, as I just did. :))

For some reason if I try to edit a post it just deletes my post....anyways, I got the LOTR books after the 1st movie, I think, and they just sat there for ages. I don't think I had the patience at the time because the real action seemed to take forever to take place. I did read Return of the King and it was so much more awesome in detail than the movie (as per usual) that now that I have time, I'm thinking I should finish the whole thing properly. Which book is a good follow up? (I've already read the Hobbit)

Alexx:

Tolkien reading order, IMHO:

1. The Hobbit (which you can pick anytime and finish in a few hours)
2. LOTR, starting with FotR, then TT, then RotK (do NOT start with RotK!!), and make sure you read the Appendices in RotK.
3. The Silmarillion
4. Unfinished Tales
5. The Children of Hurin
6. The History of Middle Earth
7. Anything else you can get your hands on.

Actually, I would say only the first three matter in terms of order. The rest is as you like it. The Silmarillion is a much more complex work than is LOTR, and of course, The Hobbit is the lightest of the bunch. Unfinished Tales is something like a second volume of The Silmarillion, though that is not an accurate statement by any stretch. A lot of 2nd Age and early 3rd Age stuff is in Unfinished Tales (ASIDE: Alexx, fyi, The Hobbit and LOTR are set at the end of the 3rd Age. The first fall of Sauron occurred at the end of the 2nd Age. The 1st Age was covered in The Silmarillion).

Read The Silmarillion before The Children of Hurin, as the latter is a tale expanded from inside of The Silmarillion. The Children of Hurin is also very tragic (I have always thought it had a very "Wagnerian" feel to it), so don't expect a happy ending!

The History of Middle Earth
(12 volumes, since out in a few omnibuses (omnibi?)) is a scholarly work by Christopher Tolkien, based on JRRT's notes from 1918 to 1974. It is not a fiction, per se (though it contains very early versions of many of the Silmarillion stories), but it is rather a history of how JRRT created Middle Earth. Not light reading, and if you are not a complete and utter Tolkien fan, or a scholar of 20th century fantastic literature, you probably will not like it.

There are a number of other, non-Middle Earth related stories (Farmer Giles of Ham, Tree and Leaf by Niggle, The Smith of Wooton Major). There is also The Road Goes Ever On, with Donald Swann (I believe) which is the songs and verse from Middle Earth. I don't have this last one, and -- someone please correct me if I am wrong -- I believe the verse is set to music.

Just my thoughts on how to read Tolkien. There are no doubt other, yet equally valid, points of view.