Dickson, Gordon R. : The Dorsai Books

Red Queen

Tigger on Sugar Water
The Dorsai Books

You know...a lot of early filks were written about the Dorsai...some of it by Robert Asprin!

While the later books in the Childe Cycle got more into the mental side of things--duels of wit and of ideals and were more about ideology, the earlier books--which still had a lot of the ideas and politics that developed into the Childe Cycle--the earlier books introduced us to the Dorsai Mercenaries and their unique lives, and for that, they will always stay close--in my heart, and on my book shelves!

Anyone want to review or discuss?

RQ

I read the first book Dorsai , I liked it but have never gotten around to reading the rest.

I read the first book Dorsai , I liked it but have never gotten around to reading the rest.

Depends on whether you follow the publication history, or the internal chronology of the set. The latter is, shall we say, a bit more convoluted.... I've not yet read all of them, I must admit, but I've always liked what I have read (though I think I prefer the short story version to the novel Soldier, Ask Not)... but these have always remained particular favorites for me, as well....

I've just recently read Dorsai! and thoroughly enjoyed it. And since I bought an Omnibus of the first 6 books, I will probably read all of those... eventually.

I will admit that I have a prejudice about the first three of the set. I prefer an old SFBC edition which brought them all together (in chronological order) with new material as prologue, interludes, and epilogue, titled Three to Dorsai. To me, it seems to bring out the thematic connections more strongly, as well as pointing toward the direction of the rest of the cycle. It's a great pity that Dickson never managed to finish the entire Childe Cycle, as it would have been, in my opinion, one of the great achievements of speculative fiction....