Douglas Adams.

Damn. Sounds cheesy, but thats too young.

Gotta read THHGTTG again.

Yeah, Padders, I read it in todays paper. A very sad loss, I know he hadn't written anything for a long time, but after the awesome Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy, Dirk Gently etc who needs to?
A true nutter who I'll be ever grateful to.

At our house, we were all very very sad about his death.

We have the radio version of hitchhikers in our car and listen to it on our frequent long trips (which in Oz are very loooong trips indeed).

The books were also great bed time reading for the children with my husband doing all the voices. Brilliant stuff. A light went out when he died.

it was indeed sad news and padders you beat me to it. i thought my uncle was lying and it was only friday i went to check and see if he'd got anything out since mostly harmless and even got lea to read HH for the first time.
his loss shall truly be felt, it encouraged me to start a xover in his memory but im afraid it shan't be up to much.
Sad News For the World, indeed :(:(:(

Far too young. I loved his books. I shall listen to 'HHG'. I read all of his books, yes, I'm young, but heck I've even read the non-hitch-hiker ones.
Does he have a section here?
Hitch-hikers was and still is one of the best comic SF series. Just thought I'd add that.

Have to confess, I am not a great fan of the books.

The Hitch Hikers Guide never did much for me in book form. It lurched too far from the original.

I will always remember him for the radio series and Monty Python.

If I ever go to England I want to visit his grave site. He died too soon. I think I would like to have heard him give a lecture even though it would probably be over something Macintosh.