Submitting manuscripts to different agents

Susan Boulton

The storyteller
Re: Ask your publishing questions here

John, if I may, a question with regards to business ethics with regards to submissions.

Would it be considered ethically correct to submit two completely different manuscripts to two different agents?

In the past I have submitted one manuscript at a time to one agent. Now I am in the position of having two completed manuscripts.(Well, two that I consider worth trying out in the cold harsh world) One a lighter, fantasy set in a world caught in the throes of an industrial and political revolution. The other one the result of over 7 years hard work and research. I swing from calling it my magus opus to “the monster”. It is based on an idea that has bugged me for a long time, concerning a hero’s sword, who made it, how and why?(sorry for the ramble there)

Do I take it turn about with them or risk sending both out?

Hmm. I would personally say you should send both scripts to the agents you are considering and tell them it's a multiple submission. You will not have different agents for different projects, in reality. But that is only my feeling...

Thank you, John, I didn't really like the idea of sending them out in such a manner when I heard others mention they were doing it, just wanted to check. I will just plod on slowly :D At my age I am in no rush...