Last Episode of Next Generation

kyektulu

White Wolf
I am a writer, a painter and a Northern Inuit Dog
I saw the final episode of Next Generation the other day.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of it?

I thought it was well written but very dissopointed that they are not making anymore.
Another thing I was wondering is what is the deal with Q?
Is he supposed to be a god as such?

I thought that the final episode of excellent too Kye.
Maybe the idea was a bit of a cliche but it was portrayed well and the end was very touching.

As for Q, well, I don't think he's a god - he just has abilities far beyond human understanding and likes to masquerade as a god.

Remember the old Star Trek? An episode called "Who mourns for Adonis?". I think we were supposed to believe that the character in that episode actually was a god. Now that was interesting. I wonder if he was actually a Q though?

This was my favourite episode of all the Next Generation series. My brother thinks so too. I thought this should have been one of the TNG movies - beats all the rest anyway.
"You're a clever man, Mr Data. In any time period."
"He doesn't understand!"

I favourite episode was probably "Masks" just for sheer quirkyness, but there are many good ones.

I quite liked the final episode. John de Lancie is always superb and Q is arguably the Next Gen's best non-starfleet role. It was good to have genuine 'threat' in the final cliffhanger as well, although you get the feeling that the whole thing was engineered by Q to wind up Picard one last time...or at least I did :)

Paradox 99 said:
Remember the old Star Trek? An episode called "Who mourns for Adonis?". I think we were supposed to believe that the character in that episode actually was a god. Now that was interesting. I wonder if he was actually a Q though?

I have not seen this episode, is it a Next Gen?

It sounds very interesting...

I have only really watched Next Gen and Voyager, im a newbie to the start Trek thing really, only been watching 4 2 years.

Polymath I really liked Picards comment to Data too, loved the perplexed look on Datas face. :p
The guy who plays Data is an excellent actor.

kyektulu said:
I have not seen this episode, is it a Next Gen?

It sounds very interesting...
No, it's not a next gen episode. It's from the original series with Captain Kirk.
That particular episode was one of my favourites from the old show... A little cheesy, but still entertaining.

The last episode was that the one that introduced the Borg? I liked how it put the focus of exploration back on the explorer?

Q is undoubtably one of the better ST characters, I wonder if he was always planned as playing a major role in the ST universe, as I think he did even with limited episodes or if he was origionaly just another throw away character.

Doesn't Q kind of blur the line between God and Mortal, is there a line or just differing points of awareness.... how would our world be percieved by humans 1000 years ago and these two points may well be seen at some time as no more than the tiniest fraction of difference in an yet larger scale. I may be able to identify the 50's from the 60's but what about 51 to 57? I'd be intertested if someone who was there thinks there was much between them.... Just some more ramblings.

By the way, FOR ME, original series, Wrath of Khan (though I came to it much later) Next Gen and First contact are the stand outs.

The last Episode was a 2 parter, the one where Picard keeps flashing from the present day to past and future.
This, of course, is Q's doing.
He is threatening to destroy humanity for not advancing enough.
It turns out that Picard was actually going to prevent evolution from happening on earth due to firing a 'proton lazer' in the same place at 3 different time periods... causing a distortion in the space/time continuum...
I think that is what it was anyway.
Yet Q actually helped Picard stop this from happening, in a weird way.

Great episode!

Ahh thanks Kye now I remember it, and Geordie was a captain as well? And didnt Picard stand witness to and risk either starting or stoping that first spark of life? I wonder how much earlier the one I was thinking of occured. ie the Borg intro, was it the same season. I thought it was a double episode hence asuming it was the finaly but it was probably another season all together?

I guess most of what I posted in relation to Q still applies but as you can see as a fairly casual fan disregard my Star Treks posts at will :D

Quokka said:
I wonder how much earlier the one I was thinking of occured. ie the Borg intro, was it the same season. I thought it was a double episode hence asuming it was the finaly but it was probably another season all together?
The introduction of the Borg came way back in the 1st season I believe. The two parter "The Best of Both Worlds" came as the last of the 2nd season and 1st ep of the 3rd season I believe.

IMO, that 2 parter was arguably the high point of all Start Trek across all the different shows. It beats all the films handsdown.

kyektulu said:
Another thing I was wondering is what is the deal with Q?
Is he supposed to be a god as such?

To a dog or cat, people are gods. To people "Q" is a god. And on up the evolutionary scale. I have to agree with most everyone All Good Things was a wonderful episode and a fitting conclusion. I do hope they make an attempt at another movie in spite of their major paux pas with the last one (releasing it at the same time as Return of the King) One of the best thing about AGT was it had an interesting Science Fiction concept: the problem starting in the future and speading to the past. Once in a while we get beyond Space Opera.

Much better a finale all around than, say, Nemesis, which of course was the TNG cast's final onscreen appearance.

i oved it (wasnt it a double or longer ? ) i rmeber seeing it ( times arrow is it ?) thought it was great and a shame more episodes inthe series werent as well written, though tbh it was abit flakey in parts it all wound up well.

First, I did enjoy it but... What I didn't get was supossedly Q was trying to help Picard prevent the destruction of mankind that Picard caused... when clearly the predicament would not have existed without Q's interference.

The second thing is that Data was the one who basically figured out the problem and found the solution...

Q and Picard are talking at the end about Picards understanding of the "Paradox"... Data was the one who got it... (not that the concept of a paradox takes a rocket scientist to figure out) Data was the one who figured how to modify the deflector dish to stop the tacion pulse or whatever...

That withstabding , I still liked it...