International Book Deal

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
Just a quick note to keep those interested in the picture with translations of Imperial Spy. The first deal to go to signature has completed. The Italian Publisher, Mondadori, have agreed a translation rights deal for Imperial Spy to translate it into Italian (makes sense, I suppose). The deal includes first option on Imperial Assassin as well.

Scalem X asked the question the other day on the 'Ask the Author' thread, so I thought I'd mention this here. I can say that there is at least one more deal reaching final stages, but I'm not at liberty to say any more yet.

Mark Robson said:
Just a quick note to keep those interested in the picture with translations of Imperial Spy. The first deal to go to signature has completed. The Italian Publisher, Mondadori, have agreed a translation rights deal for Imperial Spy to translate it into Italian (makes sense, I suppose). The deal includes first option on Imperial Assassin as well.

Scalem X asked the question the other day on the 'Ask the Author' thread, so I thought I'd mention this here. I can say that there is at least one more deal reaching final stages, but I'm not at liberty to say any more yet.

Mark,

This is brilliant news - congratulations!

Patrick.

That is great! Maybe I will get the Italian version! Oh wait my Italian is not quite that good. It would give me a good excuse to brush up.
E benissismo, amico mio!

Nice one, Mark. Though I think I won't read the Italian version... I think I'm going to get one of your precious gems with my next book haul...

Maybe this is the place to ask (but then, maybe not). How does everything go when you want your book translated? Every now and then I just translate some chapter of a novel into Dutch for fun's sake, but how does this all really go?

Marky, to be quite honest I have no idea. If you ask me again in a couple of months, then I might be able to give you a more enlightening answer. I'm the sort of person who (whilst not a total control freak) likes to know what's going on. I'll do my best to find out.

Thanks for all your good wishes people. I suspect there will be a few more of these announcements in the near future ... well I hope there will.

Congrats Mark.
It would actually be good if you managed to get your hands on a few copies once it's done (unless the author gets x courtesy copies? :confused: ) as I'm pretty sure they usually (a) change the art work and (b) sometimes split books if too long once translated. :)

Authors don't always get copies of translations of their works, WS, but sometimes they do. I know that in small Middle-European countries they either reuse the same art, or else dredge some horrible generic thing out of their files. It will be interesting to see what the Italians do.

Well, I'm very pleased to be able to announce a second international deal. Imperial Spy is also going to be translated into French. The publisher is Pocket Jeunesse. I'm guessing that there are at least a few here who will be pleased to be able to find my work in their native tongue. :)

Mark,

Italian, and now French? Sounds like you're taking over Europe! Congratulations again - I've certainly seen Pocket Jeunesse books all over the place during my (infrequent) trips to Brussels, so this should get you a whole new load of readers!

Let's see how long it takes for you to make it to Chinese!

It is with great pleasure that I announce my third international deal, this time with the publisher, Forlaget Sesam in Denmark. I believe this will be the first country to publish Imperial Spy in hardback. Go Denmark! :)