Favorite non-main character?

So if it came to a stick war between Barristan and Syrio, who'd win?

Well, Syrio appears to have lost to that Maryn (was that his name?) Trant guy pretty quickly, and the Titan's ******* was supposedly an accomplished fighter and Barristan whooped him.

It's Ser Meryn, but there is a theory that Syrio in effect survived that fight and is in hiding somewhere.

Yeah I think he did too, but Martin does have a knack for killing off cool characters, then again he often makes them unexpectedly survive too.

We didn't actually read that Syrio was killed, it just read hat he was about to be (from what I remember). I think he's still around and I think he probably has a part to play in unfolding events. I think there is more to him than he was telling

It's a close one between Dolorous Edd and the Blackfish. Edd's simple jokes are so incredibly funny and the stuff he says is so well written. And the Blackfish is just the Blackfish: too cool a knight not to be a favourite character.

I think makes the Blackfish my favourite was the picture of him peering out of some bushes. Can't find it now but maybe I'll try and link it when I do.

Syrio took out 4 (?) Lannister guardsman before fighting a man in full armour, who he hits three/four times before he gets his stick sliced.

I doubt Barristan could compete to be honest, esecially at his age.
The Braavos seem to love fencing. Syrio was their first sword. Fencing is dayum fast.

FOr the charaacter D. Edd would have to be one of em as mentioned and Pod and Oberyon (sp?). |The northman Bran etc meet in the cave left a mark.

This is a preemptive one but... I predict that Gregorstein will be badass.

This is a preemptive one but... I predict that Gregorstein will be badass.

Have I missed something important? :( Who is Gregorstein?

Also I'd like to add Beric Dondarrion to my list. He was my favourite non-main character throughout the first and second books because of the way all his deeds were spread about like some myth or legend and Gregor Clegane's men were so desperate to find him because they obviously feared him.

Don't be obtuse. Gregorstein is the pet name of the presumedly undead monstrosity that Qyburn is making of Gregor Clegane in the dungeons of the Red Keep. We inferred this from the chapters he mentioned.

Don't be obtuse. Gregorstein is the pet name of the presumedly undead monstrosity that Qyburn is making of Gregor Clegane in the dungeons of the Red Keep. We inferred this from the chapters he mentioned.

Well I hope they don't mind having a headless undead "Gregorstein" then. His head was shown in a box with the flesh eaten away by maggots or beetles to clean it so it could be sent to Doran Martell. I think it is on its way now.

Well I hope they don't mind having a headless undead "Gregorstein" then. His head was shown in a box with the flesh eaten away by maggots or beetles to clean it so it could be sent to Doran Martell. I think it is on its way now.

The inference was that the skull being taken to Doran Martell wasn't specifically Gregor's....just large enough to pass as being his.

SER BARRISTAN SELMY. pure honesty .. number one.. if only Arthur Dayne was still around. and for the same reasons .. Davos .. if he is not considered "main" but i would say he probably is.

also SANDOR has got to be mentioned because of the turn around factor (as with Jamie) we would all love him if we knew then what we do now kind of thing.

i think any character with a POV is safe to be considered a main character BS.
Sandor would also qualify through sheer page time... not to mention popularity.

favourite non-main character for me has got to be olenna tyrell. closely followed by Renly and the legends of Rhaegar and Arthur Dayne (since we only hear of them through the reminiscings of others).

Barristan Freaking Selmy is pretty awesome... though do you mean he is purely honest? coz he's certainly fudged the truths and realities with Dany - in regard to both Aerys and Rhaegar...

Barristan Freaking Selmy is pretty awesome... though do you mean he is purely honest? coz he's certainly fudged the truths and realities with Dany - in regard to both Aerys and Rhaegar...

I always took what Barristan told Dany as the truth of Rhaegar. That GRRM intended Selmy to be the source for info on Rhaegar. The only Smudge on his Honesty is that he didn't say who he was and lied about his name. Something he did to be sure of his choice to follow the last Targ and therefore perhaps rebuild his honor that was scarred a little when he served the ursurper Robert.

I am currently re-reading the books for the 2nd time. My opinion may change as I am 1/2 way through aSoS.

We didn't actually read that Syrio was killed, it just read hat he was about to be (from what I remember). I think he's still around and I think he probably has a part to play in unfolding events. I think there is more to him than he was telling

I thought that Syrio might have changed into Jacquen H'Gar when I read the book. Haven't really got any evidence to back that up :p I just thought he seemed too powerful to have let himself be captured. Looking back I don't think it likely, but I am in agreement that Syrio escaped. If GRRM had wanted him dead, then Arya would have witnessed him being cut in half or something, I have no doubt of that.

Favourite minor character - Robb Stark. What? He doesn't have a POV, and that was the criteria specified! :p Robb is awesome, the North is boring without a Stark.