Drizzt Saga

Reader

Just finished "Homeland" book 1 of the Drizzt Saga by Salvatore. I loved it! Cant wait to read book 2.

Any fans of Drizzt here? Wich books do you own of Drizzt?

Reader said:
Just finished "Homeland" book 1 of the Drizzt Saga by Salvatore. I loved it! Cant wait to read book 2.

Any fans of Drizzt here? Which books do you own of Drizzt?
I've got the Dark Elf trilogy along with the original Icewind Dale trilogy, which IMO are Salvatore's best work. I'm not a huge fan of Salvatore as he's pretty generic and noy overly original but his fight scenes are good and Drizzt is my fav character by far....:D

(might as well step in about now :p)

Hi, I too have read Homeland (under the insistence of some friends who praised Salvatore's Dale tril. I started with the Dark Elf series just cause I'm usually a completist :p). It was alright, but I have other things I'd rather be reading.
So, what I am wondering is whether I should read the rest of dark elf, or skip straight into dale? (which I understand is the actual revered work)

Wow these take me back some. I remember reading the Icewind Dale books when I was about 18 or 19 and really enjoying them at the time. Silent, I think you should have no trouble starting off with the Crystal Shard and the other Icewind books as they were published several years before Salvatore made the return to Drizzt's life before he emerged into the Realms.

It's interesting to me - actually I have been thinking about this a lot - that I used to love these books so much, along with a few other media tie in novels, but over the years I have grown more dare I say snobbish about the fantasy I read. Heck, I even got to the stage of devaluing the stuff as 'trash' before even picking it up simply because it was a tie in to an RPG world... my feelings are reversing again as more and more good writers are getting involved in these franchises and the quality of the stories is once more beginning to grip me as a reader.

Is Homeland, Exile and Sojourn a trilogi? In the begining of the bok it says book 4,5,6,7,8,9 and so on...whatta?

Reader said:
Is Homeland, Exile and Sojourn a trilogi? In the begining of the bok it says book 4,5,6,7,8,9 and so on...whatta?
Yep, it forms the Dark Elf trilogy starring Drizzt, which is Salvatore's best work IMO, so enjoy!

I like some of his stuff, but not others. He's not consistant enough for me.

rune said:
I like some of his stuff, but not others. He's not consistant enough for me.
I pretty much agree with that assesment not that I have him in my favourite group of authors but as noted he's good at battle scenes and I did enjoy the combat b/w sword master Drizzt and his near-equal and arch nemesis in Eremis Entreri....:D

That combat scene was rather good wasn't it?

Heck it must have been, you mentioned it and I could suddenly remember it vividly. There aren't many combat scenes that leap to mind that match it for flair or adrenalin pumping vigour!

Hmm, I have read the Drizzt Dark Elf Trilogy...it's one of those that's enjoyable and certainly readable but not in any way outstanding...not like Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser, put it that way. Worth reading, not worth going to read, to paraphrase Johnson.
Drizzt is a very good character though, I wouldn't deny that.

I have read a lot of his books and enjoyed most of them. However I have to agree that The Dark Elf Trilogy was the best. :)

polymath said:
Hmm, I have read the Drizzt Dark Elf Trilogy...it's one of those that's enjoyable and certainly readable but not in any way outstanding...not like Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser, put it that way.
Absoultely concur with this observation 100%

I'm pretty sure I have read every Salvatore book - if not all his short stories.

Yep, it forms the Dark Elf trilogy starring Drizzt, which is Salvatore's best work IMO, so enjoy!

I would say that Salvatore's best work - by a large margin - lays outside of the Fogotten Realms confines, and is firmly in his Demonwars books, which takes place in his creator owned setting. I would, however, agree with the thought that The Dark Elf Trilogy represents the most enjoyable arc of RAS's work in Realms.

Jay said:
I would say that Salvatore's best work - by a large margin - lays outside of the Fogotten Realms confines, and is firmly in his Demonwars books, which takes place in his creator owned setting. I would, however, agree with the thought that The Dark Elf Trilogy represents the most enjoyable arc of RAS's work in Realms.
Interesting observation. I've read the Demonwars and they never really did it for me in the way that Dark Elf did. Having said that Salvatore is OK but certainly nothing remarkable, which is not to imply that's what you were specficially alluding to here. Give me M. John Harriosn or Gene Wolfe any day of the week.

Salvatore is OK but certainly nothing remarkable

I agree with that 100%, I mildy enjoy his work (I hated his last effort, Promise of the Witch King - (truly one of the worst books of 2005 IMHO), I respect him because I think he is a stand-up guy, and in communcating with him, a rather intelligent cat as well, but that doesn't play into my opinion of his or any author's book(s). We are not talking about someone who is in Harrison's or Wolfe's class (at least by what the public can see in regards to his published work) at all IMHO, but someone who without question focuses on a an entirely different portion of the fanbase.