Bomba

Saeltari

Druid Trainer
Supporter
This is not an indication of my age, but anybody ever read Bomba the Jungle Boy books by Roy Rockwood? I thought they were pretty good when I read them many moons ago.

Yep, I remember them as a young lad many moons ago...:D

Good of you to bring this up as it's something of a children's classic, published in a series of 20 books between 1926 and 1938.

It's interesting to note that the written stories were actually attributed to various ghostwriters, the major contributors being Howard Garis and John Duffield. Roy Rockwood was more the brains behind developing the ideas or summary plots from my understanding, which were then fleshed out by actual writers. In fact Rockwood is a pseudonymn for real life US publisher Edward Stratemeyer (1862 - 1930) who was also credited with brinig into the world such characters as The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Tom Swift series.

AH thank you for bringing back this nostalgic moment, it's enough to put a tear in the eye of a middle aged Bibliophile....:D

Thank you for the information. I knew it was rumored that Bomba was written by various writers. However, I didn't know Edward Stratemeyer was credited with The hardy Boys. I really enjoyed those too.
I never had a chance to finish the series and anymore they seem hard to find.

I am sorry for the tear, I have a kleenex here.
I am glad to bring back good memories, though.
I remember last seeing Bomba as he was heading off to find a possibly evil and dangerous medicine man. I often wondered what happened to him.

Saeltari said:
I am sorry for the tear, I have a kleenex here.
Actually those were tears of literary joy....:D

I'm always happy to see members post threads on pre modern authors in the Genre as I have a particular passion for this area.

Bomba the Jungle Boy! Now there's a book from the past! Next you'll be talking about Freddy the Pig!

Sure I read two or three of these when I was a kid ... Who would have thunk there were as many as twenty?!! Even way back then, I preferred Tarzan ... And I read them all! Got to admit that as an adult, only the first four are really worth reading ...

beenorthern said:
Bomba the Jungle Boy! Now there's a book from the past! Next you'll be talking about Freddy the Pig!
Well that's certainly another blast from the past, so I take it you've read some of Walter Brooks then?..:confused: