Win *signed* copies of THE HIDDEN STARS

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
As I promised a while back, I am holding a contest -- actually two contests -- to celebrate (and yes, to promote) the release of the mass-market edition of my epic fantasy The Hidden Stars.

The contests will run for 48 hours, beginning at whatever time comes up when I submit this message.

On March 2 I will draw three names to determine the winners of three autographed copies with accompanying maps -- you can't get the map anywhere else, so that's a bonus. In order to be entered in the drawing you must PM me the correct answer to question #1 below, within the 48 hour period. The contest is open to all Chronicles Network members, in any part of the world where the postal service will deliver a book. Those of you who already own the book and would like a signed copy are free to join -- however, I do hope to tempt you into competing for another prize instead (see below). How you come by the answer is immaterial: if you don't know it already, look it up online, ask a friend, whatever.

Question #1 -- to enter the drawing for signed copies:

In Ursula K. Le Guin's classic Earthsea Trilogy, around what concept is the magic taught at the wizards' school on Roke based?

The second contest is for signed bookplates, which should (as if by magic) transform the copies some of you already own into rare collectibles. Again there will be a drawing, and three prizes awarded. To be entered into the drawing for bookplates + maps you must PM me the correct answer to question #2 below within the 48 hour period. This contest is also open to all Chronicles Network members, although you will need a copy of the book to come by the correct answer (the signed bookplates are fairly pointless without the book anyway). One caveat -- you can enter both contests, but if you win a book in the first drawing you won't be elgible for the second.

Question #2 -- to enter the drawing for signed bookplates:

In Madeline Howard's (destined to be classic) The Hidden Stars, what are the names of the first four runes on Nimenoë's ring?

Note the time on this message, because on March 2 at the exact same hour and minute the competition ends. Good luck to one and all.

Good questions! I'd never have remembered the runes if you hadn't asked about them - I did, however, remember roughly where they were mentioned in the story.

Marky Lazer said:
I don't know the answes, so good luck to the people who do. :)

Surely you could lay your hands on a copy of The Earthsea Trilogy within the next couple of days and look it up, Marky! Even if you stood in a bookstore and skimmed through a copy, you would probably find the answer fairly quickly.

I too wish you all good luck in the competition. Fortunately I've got a copy of Hidden Stars and have enjoyed what I've so far read, even w/o an official signature....:)

Not sure if I'll enter the competition myself but I like the way it's been set up by Madeline.

Mark Robson said:
Surely you could lay your hands on a copy of The Earthsea Trilogy within the next couple of days and look it up, Marky! Even if you stood in a bookstore and skimmed through a copy, you would probably find the answer fairly quickly.

Or a library.

But actually, it wouldn't be necessary for a person to leave their house. I decided to pretend I had no clue to the answer myself and see how long it would take me to find the answer online. It turned out to be much easier than I intended with the first search engine I tried -- and much harder than I expected with a second search engine.

Just a reminder that there are less than nine hours before the deadline on this. And I must say to those of you who have already sent me the right answers, your odds are looking very good since there aren't very many of you.

Kelpie said:
your odds are looking very good since there aren't very many of you.
A shame for your promotion, but I'm afraid I don't mind at the moment :eek:

Well, things are looking up (in terms of the response).

I actually went out to our local bookstores to see if the new edition was on the shelves yet. It was a bit early, because I know that stores don't rush to put out stock the moment it comes in, but it seemed like it would be better to go and find out instead of stay home wondering.

And I found four copies at Borders! I promptly (and shamelessly) rearranged the shelf so that it was facing cover-side out. My oldest daughter happens to work next door to that store -- and across the street and down the block from Barnes and Noble -- so she's been instructed to go in later this week and do it again as needed.

The contest is over and I am pleased to announce the winners:

For signed books + maps:

Winters_Sorrow
Marky Lazer
Nixie

For signed bookplates + maps:

Prefx
Mark Robson
Scalem X

Kelpie said:
I actually went out to our local bookstores to see if the new edition was on the shelves yet. It was a bit early, because I know that stores don't rush to put out stock the moment it comes in, but it seemed like it would be better to go and find out instead of stay home wondering.

And I found four copies at Borders! I promptly (and shamelessly) rearranged the shelf so that it was facing cover-side out. My oldest daughter happens to work next door to that store -- and across the street and down the block from Barnes and Noble -- so she's been instructed to go in later this week and do it again as needed.

Well, after not getting to go out and look for the book yesterday, I made it to the bookstore (B. Dalton) today to get my copy. There were three copies on the shelf, and I bought one of them. Just thought you'd like to know its on the shelves down here in the Valley, as well, Kelpie.:D

Thanks, littlemiss, that is good news. Now if the books will just fly off the shelves so that they'll be inspired to reorder ...

nixie, I expect it will be months (if ever) before the book turns up in stores in your part of the world. If it ever does, of course, I'd be thrilled to hear about it. (Or any other THS spottings people may have to report.)

I'll watch out too:p . It will surely get here. I'll promote it. I have no bookshop though.

But maybe if I order a copy through a bookshop, they'll consider adding one to read for themselves and who knows ;) .