Liath - Character Analysis

Lacedaemonian

A Plume of Smoke
Liath is one of the central characters in the Crown of Stars, along with Alain she has a pivotal role to play. However, how does she match up to Hannah, Rosvita, Sanglant and Alain?

For me she is desperately lacking. I think it is perhaps because she is ethereal and Kate wanted to make her appear above mortal beings. The downside to this is that Liath does not relate to the other characters at all. Kate debates this issue through Liath's constant doubts about her love for her friends and her family. For all her worth to the dynamics of the story she is fairly redundant in context to the narrative of the story. If she died in the next chapter I would not be that sympathetic.

I blame Hugh's mistreatment of Liath for her doubts about her feelings for others.She can be very irritating at times but does redeem herself now and then. I don't think I'd miss her if she was killed off, not in the same way I'd miss the others specially Rosvita.I even care more for Ivar than Liath:)

Ivar goes from strength to strength as does Hannah. Liath's pursuit of knowledge of the ether is simply paramount in her existance. Rosvita is similarily motivated but she does not put this pursuit of historical truth above her friends or loved ones. Liath is selfish and unreasoned in her actions, she lacks many human moral codes and her link to the fire damiones seems to be without full concept. If Allain killed her - I would forgive him. :)

If Allain killed her - I would forgive him. :)
Thus sayth the Lord. ;)

I believe Liath's character flaws stem off her memories of her mother's death and then the fleeing she did with her father, Bernard. She lived in constant fear and always on the run. Her only friend was her father until she met up with Hanna and Ivar.

Liath does seem a little selfish, very self absored about learning and gathering as much knowledge. But doesn't Hugh seem the same way, and she needs to be the one to bring him down?

I often ask myself 'what motivates these people?'. Why could Sanglant and Liath not just settle in Wendar with the bairn? Liath seems to lack enough substantial motive.

Not sure really to be honest. I just don't sense an articulated motive. She appears impulsive in some cases and 'guided' in others. I think the first couple of novels we get a sense of her personality but by the fifth and sixth books she appears to lack all trace of personality. She reminds me of the Spice Girls - an empty insentive.

**Spoiler***

Just read Allain's reunion with Henri - proper tear jerker!

+++Spoilers+++

+++Spoilers+++

I think Liath is like this so that she seems to be confused. Think about her situation for a minute, put yourself into her shoes if you will. The world she lives in is deeply rooted in religion and superstition against anyone who has anything to say that is different from the views of the church.

Now here is Liath who has these basically unknown magical powers, which the church also condems! Even worse when she is threatened her magic kicks in, even possibly against her wishes, and burns buildings and people.

SHe desperately wants to learn more about this magic, but then a priest (Hugh), who should be wanting to burn the Book of Secrets if he is indeed a man true to his religion, instead wants the book for his own ends and he also wants the person who has it as his slave. She is then abused by Hugh, a supposed religious icon in this world, and her view of that religion she grew up believing in is completely ruined by the actions of Hugh and others in that same church. Remember aslo the church in this story is the ultimate power even beyond the King, the King needs the churches blessings. So what does this say for poor Liath?

Now along comes Sanglant who is the son of the king but he wants to marry her just to complicate her life even further.

I like Liath because in that complete confusion she still comes through, at least for me, as struggling to overcome it all, and I have hopes that she will do just that. Liath, because of her circumstances in life, has to be stronger then Hanna or any of the others and I don't think many people would be able to handle her lot in life any better.

Rahl

Liath lacks any real roots and is basically one big identity-crisis. She spends most of the books questioning who she is, where she came from. Every time she seems to grasp something about her family line, where she's come from and what she's worth, it turns out to be a lie or a half-truth. Combine this with some powerful brains, flat-out gorgeous looks, some otherworldy bloodlines and yeah- I'd say she's got an excuse for being withdrawn and unable to commit to the simple idea of a family and a home. (Not to mention the rapes, the murder of her father, etc.)

I agree Arya. Though there is good reason for her being deprived of human spirit, it still does not detract from the fact that she is hard to like.

AryaUnderfoot said:
Liath lacks any real roots and is basically one big identity-crisis. She spends most of the books questioning who she is, where she came from. Every time she seems to grasp something about her family line, where she's come from and what she's worth, it turns out to be a lie or a half-truth. Combine this with some powerful brains, flat-out gorgeous looks, some otherworldy bloodlines and yeah- I'd say she's got an excuse for being withdrawn and unable to commit to the simple idea of a family and a home. (Not to mention the rapes, the murder of her father, etc.)
This is consides with what Raul was saying with her being confused and she's trying to find her place in a world filled with conflicts concerning exactly who she is, magic.

Lacedaemonian said:
Confused teenage girls, what would this world be like without them??? :)
I know I for one would sleep better at night. Would you like a sample of my hell, Lacy? They are worse than Satan themselves. :)