Philippa Gregory

Kailana

Canadian Reader
I read a lot of historical fiction, and one of the authors that I have recently discovered (hard to discover someone not available in your towns book store) was Philippa Gregory. Since Christmas I have read The Other Boelyn Girl, The Queen's Fool, and The Constant Princess, as well right now I am reading Wideacre. I really enjoyed The Other Boelyn Girl and The Constant Princess but did not really appreciate The Queen's Fool. The jury is still out on Wideacre, but it is good so far. Was just wondering if anyone else has read her and their thoughts on her novels?

I began to read The Other Boleyn Girl and actually quickly became absorbed. However im a stickly for historical accuracy in books that contain historical characters and when I began to research the people named in the book and found that some of the details were a little too far fetched I decided to stop reading it.

Earthly Joys - These are my favourite books of hers...

1. Earthly Joys
2. The Virgin Earth

Earthly Joys is about a real English gardener and of his travels to find new plants to take back to England.

The Virgin Earth is about his son and his ventures.

I just discovered this author and have read The Other Boleyn Girl (which I totally loved) and The Virgins Lover (which was a good read, but not as good as the TOBG). I'm now reading The Queens Fool. I also have The Little House, sitting on my shelf.

It was the cover art that lured you in, wasn't it? Lol, I know that's what drew me. The books are on my list now. :D

Has anyone read her new book, The Boelyn Inheritance? I hated Wideacre, so I sort of have given up reading her of late. I might try this one, though.

I began reading The Constant Princess and grew bored by the ending of chapter one. I didn't finish it and I'm not linclined to read any of her other pieces.

I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, The Queen's Fool and The Virgin's Lover. My favorite of them is The Other Boleyn Girl. I thought it was a great read.

I'm reading The Constant Princess now (little more than halfway through it). It's quite enjoyable, and a change from the historical fiction I usually read (Roman and Egyptian).

I have one or two others of her novels - not sure which ones, since they're packed away. But I've seen the movie that was based on The Other Boleyn Girl.

I love Philippa's books. The Other Boleyn Girl & The Constant Princess are my favourites. I liked The Virgins Lover, but didn't like The Queens Fool. I can't wait to read The Boleyn Inheritance.

I've got The Little House & Fallen Skies to read. :)

I've finished The Constant Princess, and am now partway through The Boleyn Inheritance. It's a bit choppy, as it's from the point of view of three characters and written in present tense.

I have just finished The Other Boleyn Girl and my mother is finishing The Boleyn Inheritance, which I intend to read shortly. I just went to a movie and saw the previews for TOBG. For those who have enjoyed the book AND seen the movie, how did it compare?

Very very good books. I quite enjoyed The Queens Fool. I thought it was amazing how she wound history into a wonderful book, and still keep her facts straight.

Has anyone else read The Respectable Trade? What did you think of it? I read it years ago but wasn't very keen on it. It's basically about the Slave Traders.

The Respectable Trade is absolutely the worst Philippa Gregory book I've read so far. The characters are flat, they are unbelievably stupid (except for the hero, of course), and the love story that just happens out of nowhere is ridiculous.

I love her Tudor Novels. I have not been able to get through her others though. I tried Earthly joys and Virgin Earth but disliked the son so much I could not continue. Her history can be a bit suspect, but that is not the end of the world. I hope she also writes about the other wives of Henry - Katherine Parr would be a great subject given all the issues with her husband and Elizabeth.

I have read a few of her books and as much as I enjoy English history I much prefered these two

1. Earthly Joys
2. The Virgin Earth

I thought the film of the Other Boleyn Girl was abominable. But to date ny favourite book was The Boleyn Inheritance as I have always thought that Catherine Howard was pushed into the whole thing by her family.

Originally posted by lea27

I began to read The Other Boleyn Girl and actually quickly became absorbed. However im a stickly for historical accuracy in books that contain historical characters and when I began to research the people named in the book and found that some of the details were a little too far fetched I decided to stop reading it.
I learnt my lesson having watched movies such as Braveheart, where such liberties were taken with history and characters that I read historical fiction for what it is, just fiction. I enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl as a novel but I hated the movie, towards the end I was thinking, just cut of her head and finish the damm thing!!!!! I hated Natalie Portman, Scarlett was just a sap and Eric Bana was really just there because they needed a Henry. It was not one of my favorite movies!!!!!
However back to the discussion at hand. As already stated I enjoyed TOBG but have not been able to get into the other, I started reading The Boleyn Inheritance but just could not get into it and I think if Timewalker is right I should stear clear of The Respectable Trade.