Where to start?

Kailana

Canadian Reader
I see this author all the time at book stores, but he has so many series and so many books, I am a bit baffled as to where I should start! So, I was hoping someone could point out a good book/series to start with?

Hi, Kailana,
Card's most famous book by far is Ender's Game. That's the book I would definitely start with.

Oh, I have heard of that one before, so that must mean I have seen it at the stores. Thanks for the input. I find with authors that have a lot of books it is hard to start if you just want to see if you would like them.

If you don't want to jump right into a series, you might want to try Card's Enchantment (more fantasy, a modern retelling of "Sleeping Beauty") or Pastwatch (more science fiction, treating the problems of time travel in a really interesting way).

But, if you really want to start in on a series, I agree that Ender's Game is the place to begin.:)

Well, regardless, I seem to have a soft spot for fairy tale retellings, so I might like Enchantment. I will write all three choices down, because they all sound interesting, and then just read what I come across first. That's much easier than staring at the whole list and figuring something out.

I shall have to look out for those two ('Enchantment' & 'Pastwatch') I think :)

Really enjoyed Ender's Game.
Also liked Alvin Maker books. Some really memorable scenes from those...

Littlemissaltitude really seems to know her books...

I started with one book : Songmaster. It's one of my favorites, poetic, huge in scope and avoinding simplistic characters. It's a so good book that I was a little disappointed by Ender's game.

Agreed, Ender's Game is great if you want to jump in on a series. I also love the fantasy/slightly sci-fi novel Wyrms. Amazon.com: Wyrms: Books: Orson Scott Card

Although I know this isn't as popular as most of his other books.

He also writes great short stories. Loads of them are collected in a book called "Maps in a Mirror", which I would also highly recommend.

I would definitely recommend his novelization of James Cameron movie The Abyss. Don't be afraid of the word 'novelization' in this case, this book is the perfect standalone adaptation, written while the movie was being filmed and an influence on the film as well.

Having read several of his other books, this one stands out, IMHO, as the best book he has ever written. It combines his skill of characterization with the proviso that things happen. Some of his other works go on and on.

Another plus is that it is a single book, so you are not investing in a series.

As far as short story collections go, there's also The Changed Man.

Card also has two books on writing, called Characters and View Point and How To Write Science Fiction And Fantasy. Both very enjoyable reads even for those who don't aspire to be writers.

I started with Ender. Then followed up at the end of written print of the series with Songmaster. Card is a classic writer. It is difficult to not enjoy his storylines. But, as with any author, you have to get hooked first. Ender, or Songmaster, OSC is a fantastic writer!

I would highly recommend PastWatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus as your first Orson Scott Card book.

It is stand alone, covers an amazing topic and Card doesn't "wimp out" on time travel changes like most other authors.

Hi,

I´d recommend "Hart's Hope", a poetic and emotional masterpiece.

I would read Ender's Game if only in preparation to read Speaker for the Dead. I found Ender's Game to be a bit immature, as it was mostly about the exploits of adolescent children, but if you are looking for something a bit deeper and a bit more descriptive, I suggest Speaker for the Dead. I was skeptical about reading Speaker since I wasnt too crazy about Ender's Game, but it was well worth the read. I cant speak for any of his other books since I havent read them, but I know that the Ender saga is the most popular of Card's books. I disagree with his opinions on religion and science so I cant possibly see liking much of his other literature.

Actually his short work is fabulous. Maps in a mirror is terrific, and despite his appalling public statements embraces a real sense of what if central to speculative. As a bonus it also includes the shorter version of song master and, I think, enders, both of which I preferred as shorts.

Ender's Game is without a doubt the place to start. It is the most engaging, wonderful book he has written in my opinion. Unlike others, I didn't dislike Speaker for the Dead or Xenocide, but they don't carry quite the same tone as Ender's.

I read the homecoming series first then ender afterwards after enjoying the homecoming.

I always find people remember ender more and recommend it all the time but Was Auch Immer (whatever)