Hyperion - Dan Simmons

Jumpy

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any in this forum had been as impressed as I was by this superb space opera, and also if anyone had mastered the plot which I found very complexe.
Of course the main storyline is quite clear, but something I failed to really understand(or have possibly forgotten, having read the books a while ago) is the apparent benevolence of the Shrike in the Endymion books. Indeed I remember he would consistenly protect Aenea from the Church.
Your views would be grandly appreciated as well as other topics of discussion about this wonderful series.

SPOILERS---------------------------

i have to say, hyperion and endymion were excellent novels. The scope of them was breath taking in places. My favourite scene i think in them all was when raul kayaked into the upper atmosphere of a gas giant:)

The shrike rules. If you go to dan simmons home page you can see alot of art depicting it:)

i believe the shrike protected her as it was freed from the AI UI when kassad defeated it in the future.

Funnily enough that Raul scene is also the one that stood out the most for myself, and generally that whole passage where he is going through various worlds is my favorite from the Endymion books, which overall I found inferior to the Hperion Cantos. This is mainly because of Raul himself. I mean he is a good character but he would get on my nerves from time to time, although I couldn't really explain why. A.Bettik was the man for me, the fact that he's there through the whole thing(Hyperion and Endymion) and is such a reliant and trustworthy friend to have.

Thanks for answering my question, that makes sense to me. The vision of the future we get in the Kassad - Shrike fight scene really sticks in my mind and really took me away.

I've only read Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion, so I can't really judge about the whole series of books. :(

But the two I've read were really great, one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. My favourite part of Hyperion was the poet's story - I was so sorry for the poor king...

But I didn't really understand the Fall of Hyperion - if the artificial intellect or the machines or the technical centre or whoever (sorry it's been a while and I can't remeber what it was called :eek:) needed people, why did it try to destroy them - the people were practically under control anyway..:confused:

Hi there Sibeling,

If I remember right the TechnoCenter(I think that's what it's called) wants to kill humans to force God out of His hiding hoping that the death of billions of people will play on His supposed empathy for humans. The TechnoCenter wants God to appear so that He will have to face their AI God or something similar. I think that's the gist of it, can't remember all the details.
I've really got to read those books again!

Hello there! I would have to say Hyperion is my favorite book, if ever such words could be used without being thrashed. ;) Personally, Sol's story was the most gripping, Brawne's the least, and I greatly enjoyed the priest's. The poet's character interested me greatly, as I've ripped it off on quite a few of my own writings (Eh, are there some who haven't?). The Fall of Hyperion was a great novel too, but the sub-stories in Hyperion and being welcomed to this fully-recognized universe is what got me.

*Spoilers*

Though one of my favorite moments, aside from in Sol's story(ies), was when CEO G. realized her mistake and sacraficed herself to the hungry mob. Brilliant.

*End spoilers*

On a note, I heard it's movie rights were bought. I'd love to see a movie, but to have it done correctly would be a hard task, if you ask me. The scope is huge, and going through the subplots quickly would tarnish Simmons's "greatness".

I agree with you about the potential film(s) that could be made: I'd love to see them but am sure that it could only end up being a disapointment for those who have read the books. There is so much to put in and so many different worlds ot show(though computers make that type of pb do-able these days) that the producers would have to make key choices as of what to film and what to leave out.
Then again if they stay close to Mr Simmons decriptions it could be visually stunning whatever their scenario choices may be.

Jumpy said:
Hi there Sibeling,

If I remember right the TechnoCenter(I think that's what it's called) wants to kill humans to force God out of His hiding hoping that the death of billions of people will play on His supposed empathy for humans. The TechnoCenter wants God to appear so that He will have to face their AI God or something similar. I think that's the gist of it, can't remember all the details.
I've really got to read those books again!

I thought that they had Shrike to find God, and killing people was just some other plan they had.. I guess I also need to read the books again :D

the technocore didnt want to kill humans, it was split into factions, one of whom, the ultimates i think, decided that in order to predict the future they had to remove humans as they were too chaotic.

Uhm.. Ahh... how well to return to the environment of the likes!...:rolleyes:
Hi everybody who remembers me... I am back!
Hyperion and Endimion saga has too many layers to be judged only by its plot. These are tales of the main characters, and opposition between humankind and technocore, and different hypotheses on the future ways of development of our Internet... well the other layers go down to allusions to great poetry by Keets and even more into the anciety - to Beowulf.
In other words, each time I read this great tetralogy, I discover something new to me...:D

Before reading Hyperion I didn't even know about that poet, so I've also discovered something new... :D

Yes, I really enjoyed this one - I thought the layering was very well done - most pleasing, as I was only looking for something to read on spec. Then again, that's usually when you find your favourites. Night's Dawn Trilogy and House Of Leaves were both spur of the moment buys too.
Kassad's story was excellent...stuck with me for a long time.
Only read the first though.

I havent finish reading all four books. I read the first one and loved it. Right now I am reading The fall of Hyperion and I like it so far I cant wait to find out what happens in the later books.

On the whole I'd have to say the first 2 Hyperion books are over rated. I would give them at best a 3 out of 5, more likely a 2. I struggled to finish them. I have no desire to read another one. Give me "Ender" or "Honor Harrington On Baslisk Station" any time.

just finished Hyperion and thought it was a great read. He leaves it open so will be buying The Fall of Hyperion too. Dan Simmons never revelaed too much about the Shrike in the first novel, so will be interesting in the sequel to see how he tackles it. Furthermore, he has gone about the age old sci-fi idea about AI vs Humans in a very clever way. Hope the next book elucidates whether or not the Shrike was sent back from the future by either the technocore, or the amalgamation of humanity!( assuming the Hegemony implodes)

It's been a long time since i've read them, but yes these are both hugely enjoyable books.

Make sure you read the two Endemion books too as they are the sequel novels to the Hyperion series.

I've only just got around to reading the first book myself, which is strange as I've read some of his other books (Illium, Carrion Comfort, The Terror) and liked them all. For the first few pages I felt like I wasn't going to enjoy it - I couldn't get my head around all the terminology, descriptions and the ideas the book was throwing at me, one after another in such quick succession in the prologue - but then it sucked me in and I couldn't put it down. Amazing novel. I loved all of the characters' stories, especially Sol's, which I found quite heartbreaking.

The book as a whole left me breathless and frustrated that it was over, wanting to know what happened next and yet quite annoyed that there are sequels. Something about it just cries out to be left as it is, to leave it to my imagination to figure it all out, which I guess I could do anyway. I think Hyperion, on its own, is pretty much perfect.

But I know I'll be reading the others pretty soon ...

And sure enough I started The Fall of Hyperion this morning :)