Firefly - Possible Season 2?

Whitestar

I must admit that the hit show Firefly is one of my most favorite science fiction shows since Babylon 5 and neo-Battlestar Galatica. I love the character interactions, the stories, and the witty dialogue. I also enjoyed Serenity as well. So, you can imagine my sadness when Joss said that Firefly will not return as a series. Here is a comment from the big man himself:

"We'll never make Firefly again, because that was a thing that existed and is now gone," Whedon told USA Today. :(

"And Serenity isn't Firefly, and whatever comes next won't be, either. But I would love to tell more stories of this universe and to hang out with these people on and off for the rest of my career."

Okay, so there's still hope for the saga afterall! :D Although the film's performance at the box office was so-so, Joss Whedon himself said that he wouldn't rule out a sequel just yet, considering how well the movie did in the DVD sales. Now the question is, what format will the saga take? According to Sci-Fi Wire, there is hope for a possible continuation. An entrepreneur by the name of Ace Underhill, who is a huge fan of the show/movie is attempting to acquire the tv rights from Fox TV, in hopes of producing a possible second season and distrbuting it through alternative media such as paper-view, direct-DVD release, or through the internet. However, unlike Underhill, Joss is apparently hinting to fans that a direct-to-DVD sequel release is perhaps the only viable option. Nonetheless, Joss has told Empire Online that he remains open to doing another series. For more info, click on the following link:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=34383

Personally, at this point, I'll take whatever I can get whether it's a second season through the internet or a direct-DVD sequel release. What does everybody else thinks?

Whitestar

You can't stop the signal.

Last edited:
That's pretty sweet. A sequel to Serenity would be great, although continuing the show would be even better. But as Whitestar said, I'll take what I can get. I still can't believe they cancelled Firefly; they had a good thing going. Competition weeds out the Underdog once again...

Firefly didn't even get a screening over here :( I've finally managed to secure myself a copy of the DVD's as ever since Serenity was released, Firefly fans are growing rapidly down here. I've fallen in love with this series and these characters, and I must admit, I'm hoping that more will come. As you guys have said, anything will do, but if I'm honest, I'd love for the series to continue... There's just so much left to be told and explored through these characters. Long live Firefly!

Blue Mythril said:
Firefly didn't even get a screening over here :(

Well, it did, but it was treated with the same lack of respect that most good shows are by our lifestyle-loving television stations. Seven had it on on varying days and at varying times, varying the schedule with unvarying regularity. I saw most of them, but I need to get the DVD to check out the ones I missed.....

Oh and about the possibility of doing another TV series, I think Joss Whedon has already said that this will not happen. Another movie - possibly, another series, no.

Depends how much money they throw at him and the other cast I suppose, but he's busy doing other stuff now, so I doubt he'd commit to another series unless he got a fairly long list of assurances.

Agh, I've recently been watching this series, and I really like it. It's... shiny! ;)

I didn't enjoy Buffy or other things by Joss Whedon at all, but somehow I've got obsessed with Firefly.

Esioul said:
I didn't enjoy Buffy or other things by Joss Whedon at all, but somehow I've got obsessed with Firefly.

Ditto.
I didn't like Angel or Buffy so put off watching this series for ages.

Now of course, no power in the 'verse can stop me :)

Heh, I am waiting anxiously for my roommate to get back so we can watch her DVD's of Firefly. The character's are just so funny and likeable, and it hasn't got the moralistic annoyances that star trek has- goen off star trek a bit lately.

another series in the same universe would be nice. I must have watched every episode three or four times. Firefly was great.

Another series would be uberly shiny but another film is probably the most likely....I won't get my hopes up though. I'd love any continuation of the story and characters, the only shame is that Wash and Book are no more.

Snapdragon said:
Another series would be uberly shiny but another film is probably the most likely....I won't get my hopes up though. I'd love any continuation of the story and characters, the only shame is that Wash and Book are no more.

Remember what genre your dealing with. Nothing is impossible. Maybe the new episodes will take place before the old. May they'll find a creative way to bring them back.

Snapdragon said:
I'd love any continuation of the story and characters, the only shame is that Wash and Book are no more.

Yep, any continuation is fine with me, too. I'm longing for more of the 'verse.

In one of convention recordings on the Firefly Talk podcast, Joss said that if there's a second film, Wash and Book will appear, but he didn't say how. My bet is in flashback.

Do any of the rest of you listen to Firefly Talk, The Signal, or Josscentricality? I got a kick out of the latest Josscentricality from Australia, where everyone was talking about a visit from Joss. And the convention recordings on Firefly Talk make my heart happy, because I've never had the opportunity to attend a con and hear the BDHs talk in person.

So, why isn't there an official Firefly / Serenity thread on Chronicles Network? Or is there one, and I just can't find it? I'd like to have a Browncoat roll call.

Brown Rat said:
So, why isn't there an official Firefly / Serenity thread on Chronicles Network? Or is there one, and I just can't find it? I'd like to have a Browncoat roll call.

We're all hiding from the men in blue. They come two by two! :eek:

Is there a DVD-release planned for Western Europe yet?

Cause I missed several episodes, and that's just too bad...

sigh, i loved Firefly, another brilliant series doomed to be cancelled because 80% of the viewing public don't like fantastic tv (because explain how Firefly lasted just a few episodes while the Bachelor is in it's 50th incarnation...) Serenity was awesome too of course, and i've got fingers and toes crossed for any sort of continuation of the story. especially any continuation where Mal gets his gear off..... mmmmmm.....

Winters_Sorrow said:
We're all hiding from the men in blue. They come two by two! :eek:

Hehe. :)

But seriously, what's the proper procedure for deciding whether Firefly / Serenity deserves a subforum in the Film and Television forum? Do we need to start five threads for it first?

The reason I ask is, as Browncoats, we might want to strengthen the signal so that we make more converts who will buy more DVDs and encourage Universal to film the second in the proposed trilogy.

(Hey, I'm not rabidly obsessed, no, not me.)

Void Dragon said:
Is there a DVD-release planned for Western Europe yet?

Cause I missed several episodes, and that's just too bad...

They've been available on PAL region 2 for a while now.
I would imagine (not that I've needed to check!) that it has several languages on that version.
There's several online retailers you can try if your local stores don't stock them.

You can't stop the signal! :)

Brown Rat said:
But seriously, what's the proper procedure for deciding whether Firefly / Serenity deserves a subforum in the Film and Television forum? Do we need to start five threads for it first?

There should be enough threads to start a subforum on this by now (certainly there's a few Serenity threads knocking about as well) so I'll ask about and see if I can get a Supermod to lump them into 1 forum.

Brown Rat said:
So, I take it you're a big fan of the episode "Trash"? ;)

*dies* don't remind me! i can't function properly thinking about him all naked in the desert!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tolkien RJJ General TV Discussion 19
Vladd67 Firefly 29
REBerg Firefly 2
Toby Frost Firefly 113
L Firefly 3