If you could meet anyone from any time

I would be interested to meet Lady Jane Grey who ruled between Elizabeth and Edward ascending the throne of England. Well she was really just a puppet ruler and died for her actions. I wonder why, obviously pressured into taking on the role but did she think that she would be accept, she was just a girl, did she have other plans for her life. What did she want? Did she have a happy childhood? Its just a sad tragic story.

If I could actually go back in time, I'd try to stop Sandro Botticelli from burning so many of his paintings on Savonarola's Bonfire of the Vanities - or at least steal one and hide it, and then find it in the 21st century and become fabulously rich :)

As for actually meeting someone... I'd like to meet Jane Austen - I think we'd get along rather well! I'd ask her just how autobiographical "Persuasion" is (it's my favourite of all her books), and let her know how well-loved her books are, long after her untimely death.

Alexander the Great
Gaius Octavian Caesar
St. Augustine of Hippo

Leonardo da Vinci
René Descartes

Charles Darwin

Max Planck
Ernest Rutherford
Werner Heisenberg
Richard Feynman

Odysseus, if he existed, and I would ask him to recount his real journeys.

Sappho, the best poet of her time, to look over her shoulder as she writes.

Aliénor d'Aquitaine, to hear the story of those incredible years.

Dante Alighieri, to ask him a reading of the Vita Nova.

Lippo Lippi and Botticelli, just to stare at them while they work.

Giordano Bruno, to ask him explanations about that Shadows of the Ideas I don't twig.

Benedictus de Spinoza, to discuss with him about his own theses and buddhism.

Antonio Vivaldi, to hear the première of the Gloria in Re Minore.

William Blake, to see him draw those drawings, more than for his poems.

Bertrand Russell. I'd ask him how he abandoned mathemathics and philosophy to write SF. I'll lend him a book or two of contemporary authors, and we'd chat.

So he could teach you his secret?

You need to rinse it first, and then slightly undercook it. ;)

You say that to a Loombaard?

We are the first in Europe, when it comes to RICE, and a few other things.

Uncle Ben's rice does stick! A risotto must be OVERCOOKED, but it must not become a Thai rice!

Risotto, yes, of course, completely different thing! I was thinking of boiled rice, say with a curry, or some such.

I won't try and teach you about risotto!

And you're right, it does stick. There's a much better kind I use, but I've forgotten what it's called, and don't have any right now.......

[edit] It's Indian....surprise.

Would you enter a pub and ask a beer?

There are several beers, and several kind of rice,

one for the risotto, one for boiled rice, one for soup, one...

Are we offthreading? Back at the social place.

enters quietly, looks around, no one here.

Elizabeth 1st

Joseph Conrad

sneaks out under cover of an explanation...

All my favourite relatives were aunts, I had a lot. The most interesting and interested. Sssh go to sleep now.

The second being Sarah L Winchester, the rifle heiress who in 1884 (?) began construction of a Victorian mansion of such magnitude & filled with such oddities as to occupy carpenters 24 hours a day for 38 years, until she died.

I would want to meet Jesus, because I think he is mexican, and I would ask him
How does he keep his berd so clean and not get his body...I mean bread crumbs in it?

I'd loved to meet Lee Harvey Oswald and ask "did you do it and if so did anyone help you?"

Back