Forgotten Sword and Sorcery authors.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
I assume that you mean Thomas Burnett Swann. I read several of his books, which were then readily available in paperback, back in the early and mid-seventies. I don't remember any of his books being sword & sorcery, though. Maybe some of them were, but most of them were ... fantasy based on mythology, yes, but pastoral and romantic (mildly erotic) in their themes. His writing, as I remember it tended to be lyrical and poetic—not surprising because he was also a poet.

Thomas Burnett Swann . Typo on my part and the spell checker corrector . My bad on that and , I made assumptions.:(

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, I have always found that Autocorrect introduces about as many errors as it attempts to correct. Frankly, I think it has it in for all of us.

BAYLOR

Its mildly offending that you call Henry Kuttner a forgotten author. SFF classic author whose stories with CL Moore is pretty legendary, his comic detective stories, his Science Fantasy etc You know his S&S stories because of his name is respected.

His S&S stories i bought long ago thanks to Planet Stories.

By Kuttner The Dark World and his Elak of Atlantis stories and both quite excellent. And by C L Moore Black Kiss which Count all of wonderful Jirel of Joiry stories.:cool:

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I liked Swann too—as witness that I did read a number of his books—but after several of them one begins to feel like he was repeating himself a lot. But perhaps if he had lived longer he might have struck out in new directions.

BAYLOR

The Mis-enchanted Sword by Lawrence Watts-Evans

BAYLOR

Too Long A Sacrifice by Mildred Downey Broxton

BAYLOR

Maybe it's fair to say that Kuttner contribution to "Sword and Sorcery" has been forgotten?

Someone a lot more recent but who is close to becoming unfairly forgotten is Lawrence Watt Evans who wrote the excellent "Misenchanted Sword" and the "Lords of Dus" Tetralogy.

Both excrete writers .:cool:

BAYLOR

No one's mentioned John Jakes yet.
JohnJakedBrak1.jpg

JohnJakedBrak2.jpg

JohnJakedBrak3.jpg

JohnJakedBrak4.jpg

MentionMyNameInAtlantis.jpg

0f this books , the only one ive seen is the Mention My Name in Atlantis which is a Conan the Barbarian parody and it wasn't bad.

I think ive read two Brak stories and found hem be low rent Conan knock offs.

BAYLOR

Both excrete writers .:cool:
Correction , both excellent writers . o_O Really not fond of the spell checker corrector

Another that fall a bit by the way side is Jack Chalker.