M.P. Shiel

GOLLUM

I'm currently invetisgating the work of West Indian M.P. Shiel (1865 - 1947) who wrote romantic mysteries, adventures and supernatural works. He appears to have received quite a bit of praise by authors such as Lovecraft and Machen.

Here's a link to probably his best known story The Purple Cloud dealing with the "last man on earth" theme. Wells appears to have particulary liked this story.

Has anyone else read his work??

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11229/11229-8.txt

Also I'm currently hunting down a second hand copy of Mike Ashely's The Starlight Man: Extraodinary Life Of Algernon Blackwood. Anyone read this....:confused:

By a strange coincidence, two of the books of ghost stories I just bought from Dover (their winter sale -- 50% off -- how could I resist?) have stories by M. P. Shiel: "Xélucha" and "The Race of Orven." I haven't read either of them yet, but I'll let you know what I think of them when I do.

Kelpie said:
By a strange coincidence, two of the books of ghost stories I just bought from Dover (their winter sale -- 50% off -- how could I resist?) have stories by M. P. Shiel: "Xélucha" and "The Race of Orven." I haven't read either of them yet, but I'll let you know what I think of them when I do.
Thanks, so you know anything about that Blackwood bio?..:confused:

Aha this Shiel sounds very interesting, I may have read something by him in some of these classic horror compilation but can't recall atm.

I'm not positive but the name Algernon Blackwood sounds familiar. I was wondering if I saw it at that little shop in Fremantle, as I often pop in there to see what is on the shelf.
Will try and get up there this week and have a look. If I am correct, will get it and bring it over to Melbourne with me....:)

That would be much appreciated but unless it's second hand it's pretty pricey, so that's fine.

See you soon....

GOLLUM said:
That would be much appreciated but unless it's second hand it's pretty pricey, so that's fine.

See you soon....
Are they continuing to print this book then? For some reason I was thinking it was very old. So, preferable new but if not a second hand one will be acceptable? :)

Rosemary said:
Are they continuing to print this book then? For some reason I was thinking it was very old. So, preferable new but if not a second hand one will be acceptable? :)
Rosemary, quite frankly anything would be acceptable to me but please don't go too far out of your way....:)

Im rather surprised that no one has ever attempted to adapt The Purple Cloud into a film.:unsure: