What Anime do you like?

I tried to watch <b>Record of Lodoss War</b>, and I really just couldn't get into it. It doesn't help that I found the animation unappealing. Though, I should probably give it another chance. I have been known to watch something and dislike it, and then randomly watch it again at a later point in time to find that I love it. I've done that with quite a few things, not all anime/manga related.

Have any of you seen Paranoia Agent?

Other anime that I enjoy:

-Fullmetal Alchemist (I like this one mainly for the characters.)
- Kannazuki no Miko
- Angelic Layer (This is a recent love, and I'm surprised I like it as much as I do.)
- Chobits (I have a love/hate relationship with Chobits.)
- X
- Rurouni Kenshin (Though I can no longer stand Kaoru.)
- Ah! My Goddess, the movie. (I enjoy the series/OAV, just not nearly as much.)
- Gravitation (I like this for a few select characters.)
- His and Her circumstances (Shut up, its actually kind of funny.)
-Loveless

Thurr be my list, and I hope I've left nothing out. Though, the things I enjoy most are in manga form.

I need to watch Cowboy Bebop. I have this feeling that I'm going to love Faye Valentine.

I don't really got a top 10 list but the shows I am currently watching right now which I like
  • Ah my goddess: Sorezore no Tsubasa
  • Black Lagoon
  • Bleach < damn flash back scenes
  • Chevalier < just started.. could be good, could be crap
  • Coyote Ragtime Show
  • Ergo Proxy
  • Eureka Seven
  • Ghost in the Shell: Second season
  • Inukami!
  • Keroro Gunso < Lets invade earth! but first I need to finish building some more gudam models.
  • Kiba
  • Muteki Kanban Musume
  • Naruto < no gap fillers please
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • School Rumble: Second Term
  • Strawberry Panic! < Yuri ftw
  • The Third < I wish the narrator would just shut up.
  • Tsubasa Chronicles: Seacond season
  • Utawarerumono < must watch!
  • Zegapain
  • Zero no Tsukaima

Last edited:
Thadlerian said:
I've watched 4 episodes of Noein this far. I've got mixed feelings with it, although most are positive :)

The blend of 2d drawings and 3d rendering is flawless; it's the best I've seen in any cartoon, be it Western or anime. The whole style of the series feels very radical and dynamic; the drawn animation in some scenes is very thorough. The story seems fair enough as well.

But what bothers me is the character visual design. Or, more precisely, the main character design. It is horrendous. She looks like a very poor anime parody, or perhaps Disney's take at the style; large eyes completely devoid of expression.

And the strangest thing is that in session 2, her design improves by tenfold; it does no longer hurt your eyes to watch. But then, by session 3, it's back to ordinary again :(

Yeah I've watched all of Noein here.. The artwork gets good then it degresses during fight scenes. I guess the studio had a limited budget and didn't wanna spend alot of money on fancy fight scenes.
My major gripe with the series is Haruka herself. She doesn't seem to retain any sort of knowledge of what's going on and use it. Oh hey btw you have the power to control alternate time lines.. are you gonna use it? No way! Wait, what just happened?

Thadlerian said:
Now I'm watching Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water. It's a rather loose adaption of 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. Black heroine, yay. That's an extreme rarity, bot in anime and Western SF/F. And no bothersome racial stereotypes either. Pretty freaking unique.
Apart from that, it's pretty standard-fare anime. Geeky hero has to save girl in various situations. There's been some controversy over whether Disney ripped off Nadia when they made that absymal Atlantis cartoon, but it doesn't seem very likely to me.
King and Marie ftw!

*waves* New here, but I'm a big anime fan so thought I'd chime in.

My highest recommendation would be for "Kino's Journey". One of the most thoughtful, unique genre series out there, whether animated or otherwise.

Some other big favorites in no particular order: Gunbuster, Fullmetal Alchemist, Saiyuki, Infinite Ryvius, Figure 17, Beck, Fruits Basket, and the complete works of Studio Ghibli.

Oh yes, Kino is a definit must to see. I've just watched all thirteen episodes and loved every minute of it, although the 2nd disc (Emerging Lanes) remains my favourite.

Without any order...............

Speed Racer (original 1960's)

Project A-KO: Uncivil Wars

Robot Carnival

Castle of Cagliostro

Dallos

Galaxy Express 999

Prince Planet

Patlabor 3

Outlanders

Ninja Cadets

Bubblegum Crisis (original)

Wings of Honneamise

Guyver

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Spirited Away
Paprika
Galaxy Express 999
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke

I like anything Ecchi, but I must say that this year's Interspecies Reviewers is absolute genius.

I also like blood and gore, like Elfen Lied, Hellsing and Gantz.

I like anything Ecchi,
Say wut?? lol

Spirited Away
Paprika
Galaxy Express 999
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
I see another fan of Hayao Miyazaki! Me too. I've always been a fan of Studio Ghibli and the closest to melt my stonecold heart is Spirited Away. I dunno, maybe because I once got lost it was very terrifying for a 5yo to think that I may never see my parents again.

I can probably name dozens on top of my head but these two are my all-time favorites.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter

Say wut?? lol

I see another fan of Hayao Miyazaki! Me too. I've always been a fan of Studio Ghibli and the closest to melt my stonecold heart is Spirited Away. I dunno, maybe because I once got lost it was very terrifying for a 5yo to think that I may never see my parents again.

I can probably name dozens on top of my head but these two are my all-time favorites.
Hunter x Hunter
I have trash taste. Can't help it.

And I don't like Ghibli movies. I think they're overrated.

There is another topic, very similar to this one, where I say other anime that I like: Favourite Anime

I give you credit for honesty tho :D

Perhaps...because it's somehow kind of mainstream...? Nowadays, they call Shinkai the new Miyazaki and I find it tasteless to compare two great animators. I also liked Makoto Shinkai's Kimi No Wa (Your Name) but disliked Weathering with You's seemingly McDonald's commercial...

I like Miyazaki's natural observation and sense of wonder, but wish sometimes it was paired with a bit more edge. Mononoke (one of my all-time favourite films) is the closest he got to that, for me, but it could have gone further. And though his faces are very distinctive, they're also quite samey.

these two are my all-time favorites.
Hunter x Hunter

Don't know if you saw elsewhere, but I recently watched both versions of FMA and came down pretty heavily favouring the original. If you can find that thread and fancy a pointless argument, see you there. :D

Starblazers
Captain Harlock
The Dirty Pair
Ghost in the Shell ( The Series)

Don't know if you saw elsewhere, but I recently watched both versions of FMA and came down pretty heavily favouring the original. If you can find that thread and fancy a pointless argument, see you there. :D

I'd like to take you on that but I'm afraid I can't. I may not have seen the OVA episodes (or I may have but didn't finish or forgot). Sure, Brotherhood has had its fair share of dull epis.

I give you credit for honesty tho :D

Perhaps...because it's somehow kind of mainstream...? Nowadays, they call Shinkai the new Miyazaki and I find it tasteless to compare two great animators. I also liked Makoto Shinkai's Kimi No Wa (Your Name) but disliked Weathering with You's seemingly McDonald's commercial...
There are a lot of reasons for disliking Ghibli Movies. First of all, Ghibli movies just don't feel like anime; they make some people remember Disney, because that's what first inspired the old school of Japanese animation, and some people hate Disney.
I don't know if you're aware, but Miyazaki is very controversial in real life. Some people can't separate the art from the artist, so they hate Ghibli movies because of that.
My take is that they're just overrated.
I like Miyazaki's natural observation and sense of wonder, but wish sometimes it was paired with a bit more edge. Mononoke (one of my all-time favourite films) is the closest he got to that, for me, but it could have gone further. And though his faces are very distinctive, they're also quite samey.
That's part of it. Miyazaki isn't the only one that makes silent pauses in the middle of the movie, just to observe the environment. That's a characteristc of Japanese cinema in general--and it's very old, by the way. But people seem to think that Miyazaki is the only one that does that.

Miyazaki isn't the only one that makes silent pauses in the middle of the movie, just to observe the environment. That's a characteristc of Japanese cinema in general--and it's very old, by the way. But people seem to think that Miyazaki is the only one that does that.

Yes, I've noticed that in anime. However, for my money, Miyazaki's depictions of the natural world tend to be better than most, and so justify the pauses more.

(This reminds me of one thing that annoys me about the dubs -- when I've bothered trying them -- which is how Disney or whoever can't seem to accept silent pauses, and so fill them with redundant dialogue. I especially found this in Castle in the Sky, but the worst single example was Neil Gaiman's script for Mononoke. When Ashitaka arrives at the heart of the clearly magical forest, rather than the silence of the Japanese voice-track, the English script has him say (to whom?) "This place is magical". It was like having him in the middle of the sea and saying "This place is wet".

I'd like to take you on that but I'm afraid I can't. I may not have seen the OVA episodes (or I may have but didn't finish or forgot). Sure, Brotherhood has had its fair share of dull epis.

Might be worth you having a go (or another go) if you have access to them. Although they start out similar, the original has a very different feel and focus, more on character than plot. (Though again, there are some pretty poor filler episodes early on.)