The War of Flowers

Just about finished THe War of The Flowers and I have to say this is perhaps the strangest fantasy story I have read to date. It is a very good story but also extremely wierd! I found that I could not completely perdict any of this story and just when I thought I had something, Tad would take it in a new direction.

I have really really enjoyed this book!

Rahl

Edit: As for the 9/11 warning from Tad, I do not get that at all....and I wish I did, and "ash snow" could also be from the eruption of Mt St Helen's so why did he not warn us about that? I could see no reason in this story to have Tad even talking about 9/11 and his story as if they are related, it makes no sense to me.

I must admit, when I read about the 9/11 warning I was expecting something fairly serious, but it never came to that. In my opinion, there were only a few similarities, and I probably wouldn't have linked them together if not for the warning. That said, though, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.

Edit: As for the 9/11 warning from Tad, I do not get that at all....and I wish I did, and "ash snow" could also be from the eruption of Mt St Helen's so why did he not warn us about that? I could see no reason in this story to have Tad even talking about 9/11 and his story as if they are related, it makes no sense to me.

But you have to remember that the book was released much closer to September 11... and that, I believe, he wasn't even finished writing it at the time of the attacks. In his mind, or in the minds of his publishers more likely, that link was probably indeliably made. So better to have a short foreword than to recieve letters of complaint, I guess.

I am reading this tale and enjoying it.

I like how he tells the story,paints up an interesting world in your mind.

Heh i was also suprised by how creepy that hobo/cat monster was. First time something scared me in a fantasy.

I enjoyed War of the Flowers. I liked the way he created a different kind of fairyland, with them also having social and political problems.

Exactly what i like too. You dont expect a fairyland that is so diffrent. The different fairy clans and the politic stuff.

I cant wait to read one of his other series after this.

I have always enjoyed reading about faeries so when I saw this book I was very happy.
I agree that the stucture of the faeries society was a huge plus in The War of the Flowers and that it made the world seem a lot more real to me.

I really hope that someone else writes a book like this one... does anyone know of a book that is simlar to this one?

I really hope that someone else writes a book like this one... does anyone know of a book that is simlar to this one?

The Iron Dragons Daughter by Michael Swanwick has similarities but it is very dark and is not your typical "and they all lived happily ever after" fantasy novel. Theres a review of it here with a mention for War of the Flowers- Book Reviews

I sort of have a feeling you might hate it though.

I absolutely loved it. I have forgotten the hobo/cat monster you speak of though. Perhaps you will remind me?

Buy it. It's wicked fun and has so much humor in it. In some respects, I liked it better than Otherland.

I finally picked this up from my to read pile, wish I'd read it sooner. Nice take on fairy. Loved the political intrigue. And no my tearoom/lounge personality is not based on Applecore, have to love that sassy little sprite.

First time I read The War of Flowers was in early high school days which was some 7, almost 8 years ago and then, I found it an entertaining book, but now that I reread it, I find that I understand it much better and can value it more. I couldn't put what I liked about it back then, but now I can.

I enjoyed The War of the Flowers greatly. I most enjoyed Theo as the clueless protagonist and how real he was managing to stay in the whole mess he was thrown in and I loved that his victories were always kept small and realistic in regards to his abilities. Applecore was awesome to me because she provided a bit of freshness and contrast to fairy lords we were introduced to from early on. The political intrigue is always something I enjoy and I wasn't disappointed here because it was just so good with characters from both sides being portrayed as so real and flawed. I like the bittersweet ending the most actually. It kept it real to the end.

Yes War Of Flowers is good. Not as good as M,S,T which is my fav work by Tad but probably superior to Otherland.

Quite a dark tale actually but I enjoyed it.

Agreed with GOLLUM. Loved M, S, T. The War of Flowers not as much.

I'm not a fan myself. Way too long in my opinion, and Theo is almost entirely passive. I liked the early bits though.

Crikey that's a bit of a thread resurrection; it's originally older than my membership!

Anyway, my two-penny-worth; I think I'd say it is my favourite Tad Williams. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it less formulaic than M, S, T.

Crikey that's a bit of a thread resurrection; it's originally older than my membership!

Anyway, my two-penny-worth; I think I'd say it is my favourite Tad Williams. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it less formulaic than M, S, T.
Yes. I would say that Flowers was the more interesting (from a structural and thematic point of view) but the more enjoyable for me was/is M,S, T.

Not so sure though about that observation regarding ageing memberships though...;) He He...