The Crown Of Stars, Book 7

I have to say, I loved this series, and this book was no exception(for the most part). I thought the ending was tied up neatly, and especially enjoyed the epilogue, which I thought was well done.

One thing though: Hanna and Ivar? That was my "WTF?!" moment of the book.

I was a bit disappointed at the ending, the rest of the series seemed so slow and detailed that the ending seemed rushed to me or missing large parts of text - Though I did like some of the conclusions, it just seemed a trifle 'wham bam there you go!' - ish for my liking, long stories need equally epic and explained endings or it feels like the characters that you have been apart of for a very long time just hit a wall at speed and just go splat of the face of the map.

Well I liked the series overall although I felt it sagged a little in the middle in books 3 and 4 in particular where Liath and Alain's respective "experiences" could have done with a bit of trimming. To me Crown Of Stars is a very good series but not a great series. Perhaps with a bit more tighter editing i.e. a series of 5 vs. 7 volumes, I feel it may have been a great work. Of course hindsight is easy, so I don't wish to labour this point any further.

As far as EPIC fantasy goes it is a very fine example of the sub Genre indeed and I for one did like the way the series ended, some very neat maneouvering by Kate to get all of the various pieces in place for the final machinations, some of which I didn't spot at all.

There was one main character I won't mention here whom I'm still not completely clear on but I have a fair idea on what Kate intended; those who've completed the series probably know who I'm referring to.

On another point my impression was Wichman is a survivor and will make it through but that's just my take.

For those who like to rate or score books I think Kate's EPIC IMHO rates 4 stars out of 5 but as I've alluded to with a bit tighter editing would've scored 4.5 for me.

Still an above average read and highly recommended....:)

Hallo Gollum, reading the books you surjested...Very good so far, thanx.

Ah, I have more time now so I'll comment more in depth.
Overall Kate series only scores a 4 out of 5 for me, books 3-4 were some of my favorites along with book 1 Ha ha! The last book killed the series for me, I don't expect main characters to die in less than a paragraph for no reason other than to move the plot along more quickly or because they get in the way of the ending or they simply just end and are no longer mentioned (You know which ones I'm talking about). It felt very rushed with alot of pieces missing or unexplained that just happened, that in hindsight with just a chapter extra here and there and a few extra passages could have made a tighter book and I would have enjoyed it more, it felt - I don't know, somehow unfinished to me or like that cheese with the holes. Maybe the building of a sequel series at the end though hmmm? One can hope.

some very neat maneuvering by Kate to get all of the various pieces in place for the final machinations, some of which I didn't spot at all.

Agreed, some of the endings where very nice and I really did not see some of them coming and some were pure genius. Actually I would have liked a bit more on certain parties as they suddenly became much more interesting than the main 2 characters even Ha ha!

I suppose I'm just picky, I just loved this series so much that the last book was a bit of a let down. But still by far worth a read - I did enjoy them.

Looks like we scored similarly Jack but for different reasons...:D

I belive there's a prequel rather than sequel on the boards with Kate, but Alia can probably confirm.

Alia said:
I'm lazy tonight... clue me in on what you are talking about and I might have an answer. :)
You lazy? Only because you've been working so hard I bet....:D

Yeh I'm referring to the fact I was sure I read somewhere that Kate, now having completed COS, was going to write a few more books in the COS world inlcuding was it something to do with the Quaman??

In other words what's next on the writing horizon for Kate?

I am snagging this from Kate's Forum which can be found here:
http://p199.ezboard.com/bkateelliott

CaudaDraconis
King's Lion
(5/16/05 4:00 am)
Reply future story .... About the story 500 yrs in the future - I've just started on Child of Flame again, and read the Author's note which mentions the story of "Kereka, the Quman Cheiftan's daughter who wants to be a man" - is this the story you're talking about? I remember that the original teaser about the story 500 yrs said that it woudl include a character from "The Original Series" (for want of a better phrase) ....... Who would that be?

Kate's reply:
Kate Elliott
The Author
(5/16/05 3:10 pm)
Reply Re: future story .... CaudaDraconis wrote:
Quote:the story of "Kereka, the Quman Cheiftan's daughter who wants to be a man" - is this the story you're talking about?​

Yes. She would be one of several point of view characters.

Quote:I remember that the original teaser about the story 500 yrs said that it would include a character from "The Original Series" ....... Who would that be?​

Lavastine.

There should be a story of the future that has Lavastine in it. I hope she does write this. I'm very curious on what happens to Lavastine and his two dogs.

Kate mentions more in one more place but Im not sure where I saw it. I will look for it and see what I can find. :)

Alia said:
There should be a story of the future that has Lavastine in it. I hope she does write this. I'm very curious on what happens to Lavastine and his two dogs.

Kate mentions more in one more place but Im not sure where I saw it. I will look for it and see what I can find. :)

I hope she writes this as well, but I first have to find those last two Jaran books first....

Just more on my TBR pile I suppose. :D

I hope she writes this as well, but I first have to find those last two Jaran books first....

Just more on my TBR pile I suppose. :D
She says she is going back and writing up the last of the Jaran books. When? I have no idea.

Btw, that story that has Lavastine in it will be a YA book. Which really excites me. My favorite author with my favorite type of book. (more my level) :)

Alia said:
She says she is going back and writing up the last of the Jaran books. When? I have no idea.

Btw, that story that has Lavastine in it will be a YA book. Which really excites me. My favorite author with my favorite type of book. (more my level) :)

Perhaps she will go back to Jaran after she finishes the current series that she is writing, which sounds interesting, btw.

YA is fine with me, as long as the story is interesting, and it already sounds like I will be interested. :cool:

That sounds great! Cannot wait, thanx for the info ;)

Alia said:
Anytime! :)

As long as the story is interesting... for shame! To suggest that Kate would do anything less. ;)

LOL! Even if she wrote a story about half-pig/half-lizards performing a shamanistic ritual to summon the Bubblegum God, I would probably read it. ;)