Gormenghast BBC series

Quietness

Gormenghast?

I just saw the BBC production of Gormenghast* on PBS & I really enjoyed it. I would love to talk about it if anybody else watched or has seen it previously.

*I like to play with the pretty buttons up top... sorry :)

Yep, I saw it a while back, at a sleepover. It's cool, but I'm not keen on too much murder, and it did seem at times a bit like a psychological thriller (bearing in mind I was watching it from bout midnight onwards!). Can't really remember, discussing it will probably refresh my mind!

btw... interesting name! ;)

Hmmm... I haven't seen it for awhile now either. I keep intending to hunt up the books, but haven't...
Mostly I remember that it was like creepy & you just couldn't look away. Terribly funny though, especially Irma Prunesquallor.

Thanks! I had a friend who used to call me that:)

Oookay. You a quiet person then? Do you like horror? 'Cos I hardly ever watch it, so Gormenghast... I kinda kept looking away when the worst scenes came up! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, I watch a fair bit of horror... I guess I'm kinda desensitized(sp?) to it because I didn't remember Gormenghast being too bad. There was some murder, Steerpike was a pretty bad guy, but none of it was terribly gory, except maybe Barquentine. Fire would be a pretty bad way to go...

:freak4: *

*Yowza! A SQUARE Smilie!

(I am far too easily amused)

The thing about the twins wasn't too nice either... Did n't they starve to death, or get beheaded or something?

Come to think of it, you're right. When Steerpike was using them he kind of locked them away & told them how good he was making things for them when he brought them food. Then when they finally caught on, they set up a booby trap (an axe on a spring, I think) to behead him the next time he came, only it didn't work & he got mad & just left them there...
Eww... come to think of it, I think he went back yrs. later & sang at/ danced with the leftovers... Ick, I had forgotten the really gross parts since then I suppose...

Yeah, I remember... then, wasn't there some playing with bones, or skulls or somethings... *shudders* :alienooh: :eek: :dead:

Yeah, I think it was after he'd offed Barquentine & healed & been given Barquentine's job, which was castle secretary or such, something with lots of power in any case & he was already completely mad by then...

Anywho, what did you think of the whole thing with Lady Fuschia* & Steerpike?

*can't seem to help my self :D ':freak4:' ':eek:'

Erm... If you could remind me who they are... haven't exactly recovered my memory yet... :rolleyes:

Steerpike was the guy who worked in the castle & killed the nanny (who I seem to recall had a funny name that I can't seem to recall), set the library on fire, killed Barquentine, etc.

Lady Fuschia was the princess & she was pretty largely ignored except by Steerpike & the nanny & her brother.

In the second half, they had an affair of sorts. She was fairly rude to him because she was attracted to him & he was just a servant. & at first I thought he was just using her, but toward the end it looked like he genuinely cared about her.

After Steerpike had been found out & was on the run, he came to her & I seem to think he wanted her to go into hiding with him, though I may just be halucinating that bit... Anywho, she called the guards & he had to run & shortly thereafter she herself killed:dead:

[COLOR=sandy brown]there must have been more to it, but I can't remember it all[/COLOR] *

*I really must stop this...
:eek: :alienooh: :freak4: :D

Ohhh yeah, I remeber now! I thought it was sad when she killed herself, and call ed the guards on him. I felt sorry for him, with that metal thing (?), and it took a lot of courage to show himself to that woman... :errrr: :( :rolleyes: I think I'm too compassionate!!

That metal thing? You mean, like, the crazy Phantom of the Opera mask?

Even though Steerpike was kinda the bad guy, I still rather liked him, is that bad?

:eek: :freak4: :rolleyes: :D

Yup, that was him... I suspicioned that was rather bad, as he was rather evil :evil: in places...

Quietness and Kelsi.....I know it's been a while since you posted here, but I just stumbled on this thread and had to reply. I absolutely love this movie. It is the movie that intoduced me to Jonathan Rhys Meyers (aka Steerpike). If you're ever interested in checking out a great Jonathan site go to www.jrmfansite.com. Jonathan is also currently in the movie Bend it Like Beckham that is in theaters now and he will be in Prozac Nation that opens June 6th.

I just tried to use the link and it didn't work so just type it into your browser. Enjoy!