Richard Matheson

Matheson also wrote a little book titled Bid Time Return, which he then turned into a screenplay for a little movie called Somewhere in Time (he even had a cameo in the film -- look for the tourist wearing the white panama). I always found that one an odd book in some ways; at times very lyrical, but unusually subdued for Matheson, at least until the turning point; then, as usual, he put his character through sheer, unmitigated hell, even if a much quieter, more personal sort than Scott Carey or Richard Neville.

Tell me Matheson himself changed the title to Somewhere in Time. Few days ago i was browsing the World Fantasy Award winners bookshelf wanting to buy some rated fantasy. I saw Somewhere in Time and planned to buy just because it was the only thing the bookstore had of Matheson until i saw they finally got a new version I Am Legend.

The story appealed to me. The timeless love thing.

Yes, I have all World Fantasy award winners from 1975 (award began) to current in the novel category, scary but true as part of my obsession in collecting complete series of things. I've got a HB edition of Bid Time Returns but I haven't read it yet, Hell House comes first though...

I can't recall for certain, but I believe he chose that title when he wrote the screenplay....
I think I can confirm that is correct.

Matheson also played a cameo in that particular film ala Hitchcock's predilection from a certain point in his directing career.

Good to know. A better title but i dont like when a movie title changes the authors own choice for title because someone years later want to change it for a movie.

Since im reading I Am Legend and its the first i have tried Matheson i must say im hugely impressed by the book and the author. I thought it was a good classic but not a great book. It sounded too simple SF/horror with the hole last man in the world thing vs vampires. Thats what i have heard about the book.

You couldnt even imagaine it having the awesome feel of isolation,hopelessness,it being scary,tragic and also uplifting. I like very much when Neville shows emotions for his lost family. The hole dog thing was so sad and warm in the need for loving anything.

What makes it most impressive to me is the hole SF take on vampire theme. Neville tries to think scientificly on what happened. He think about alot else too, its even worth living alone.
Its not more simple horror "omg im the last man and the vamps want to eat me and i have to survive somehow for no reason".

Wierd the only time i have heard about the book was when i saw Matheson books in SFF masterworks series. Way before the movie of course. I didnt buy it because of some simple action sci fi of Will Smith.

The original title comes from Shakespeare's Richard II (III.2):

One day too late, I fear me, noble lord
Hath clouded all thy happy days on earth:
O, call back yesterday, bid time return....

The original title comes from Shakespeare's Richard II (III.2):

Despite Shakespeare its not better than the new title. The reason i picked up the book from the shelf was cause of Somewhere in Time thing that grabbed my eye. After i thought "hey it is Richard Matheson "

Speaking about his other books than Legend are some of them also SF/Horror? Something thoughful in the vien of Legend ,horror isnt the most important angle.

I have 1/3 of Legend left but im already thinking about a good second book.

I'm not so certain about that, as the quotation from Shakespeare really does fit the theme (as well as certain other things, which I won't go into, as it would spoil some of the novel's twists and turns for you) much more beautifully (and poetically) than "Somewhere in Time", which, though a nice title, is rather generic....

I'm not so certain about that, as the quotation from Shakespeare really does fit the theme (as well as certain other things, which I won't go into, as it would spoil some of the novel's twists and turns for you) much more beautifully (and poetically) than "Somewhere in Time", which, though a nice title, is rather generic....

Yeah title changes meaning when you know what it means for the story.

Have you read several of his books ? Im looking for any mention of his better books/stories.

A few, yes, though perhaps less than others around here.

Novels:

The Shrinking Man
I Am Legend
Hell House
Bid Time Return
The Beardless Warriors (a war novel)
A Stir of Echoes
What Dreams May Come

Story collections:

Born of Man and Woman
The Shores of Space
Shock!
Shock 2
Shock 3
Shock Waves

Oddly, I don't seem to have read any of his collections since the last, published in 1970... though I have read scattered short stories since.

I would highly recommend The Shrinking Man, Hell House, Bid Time Return, A Stir of Echoes, and I Am Legend (the first and last I'd put on a par as among the best in the field, while Hell House runs them a close second); The Shores of Space, and Shock! The other Shock volumes are also well worth checking out, but for some reason -- not a logical one -- the first sticks out in my mind a bit more. The story "Born of Man and Woman", though extremely brief, is not one you are likely to ever forget....

I saw the film "A stir of Echoes" a while back and didn't notice that it was based on a Richard Matheson Novel. The film was ok but nothing amazing. The book is better I presume?

I saw the film "A stir of Echoes" a while back and didn't notice that it was based on a Richard Matheson Novel. The film was ok but nothing amazing. The book is better I presume?
As with most adaptations the answer is a clear Yes Fried Egg.

I've got at least 4 "modern" collections of his work. As seems to be the norm these days I've not had a chance to read them yet but this is one of the things I hope to tackle over the Christmas break.

A few, yes, though perhaps less than others around here.

Novels:

The Shrinking Man
I Am Legend
Hell House
Bid Time Return
The Beardless Warriors (a war novel)
A Stir of Echoes
What Dreams May Come

Story collections:

Born of Man and Woman
The Shores of Space
Shock!
Shock 2
Shock 3
Shock Waves

Oddly, I don't seem to have read any of his collections since the last, published in 1970... though I have read scattered short stories since.

I would highly recommend The Shrinking Man, Hell House, Bid Time Return, A Stir of Echoes, and I Am Legend (the first and last I'd put on a par as among the best in the field, while Hell House runs them a close second); The Shores of Space, and Shock! The other Shock volumes are also well worth checking out, but for some reason -- not a logical one -- the first sticks out in my mind a bit more. The story "Born of Man and Woman", though extremely brief, is not one you are likely to ever forget....

Richard Matheson's novel follows through its premise with remorseless logic, with Carey first attempting to continue some kind of normal life and later having left human contact behind, having to survive in a world where insects and spiders are giant adversaries.

About The Skrinking Man in fantasticfiction heh exactly what i want , the synopsis could be with a little bit of tweaking for Legend too.

By the way i finished I Am Legend last night. Amazing story !

I felt so much for the poor Robert Neville. The final scene,final feeling of his and final thought was so emotional for me. Funny how a story mostly happening in the only real character's mind and only 160 pages can be so much. It was atleast as good as the best SF and horror i have read.

If you liked I Am Legend, then you're almost certain to like The Shrinking Man. Again, an emotionally complex book, very well written, and completely honest in dissecting the emotional impact of Scott Carey's plight -- and therefore its strength as metaphor for the plight of modern man in general -- and yet with an intense dose of the strength of the human spirit....

I haven't read Shrinking Man and Hell House but I quite enjoyed the films based on those.

I am Legend is really the only Matheson you need to ever read.

Can't agree with you there, on several counts. While I do agree about the quality of that book, he did do better things, and more complex works. To stop at what was his earliest novel is to implicitly state that he never matched that level again (whether or not such is intended), and that simply isn't the case. Besides, getting more of a taste of the variety of things he did is a good idea when forming an idea of any author, especially someone as important to the field as Matheson....

I AM LEGEND kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" shot me out of my seat like a circus cannon ball act. Matheson is at the very top of his craft.

I AM LEGEND kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" shot me out of my seat like a circus cannon ball act. Matheson is at the very top of his craft.

Nightmare At 20 000 is that a novel of his ?

Good to see people enjoying I Am Legend, its a brilliant book.
It kept me on the edge of my seat too. To the bitter end.