a tale by the fire

cornelius

former axe demon
this originated from the chronicles tea room, I'd like to continue it here.

Nixie

Could hardly see the road it was that foggy.The car spluttered and refused to go any farther.I decided to walk back toward the town I passed about a quarter an hour ago,I rummaged around boot till I found the torch and set off.
Footsteps echoed eerily,it was the only sound I could hear.I carried on walking.After about 10 mins I caught a sudden movement out the corner of my eye.......

Sanityassasin

....a flash of silver in the dull grey of torchlight on fog, an owl hunting for pray or was it? Why is it when your on your own you always have the feeling of been watched? A rustle in the trees at the side of the road startles me from my thoughts and getting me all spooked. A rustling again but on the other side of the road and was that a shadow moving?....

anybody else?

Cornelius

" is someone out there?"
I couldn't help but noticing the shivers in my voice...

No reply. Of course not. If there was an attacker in the bushes, he wouldn't just give away his advantage of being unseen. Maybe there were more of them...

Nixie

It was a child.Couldn't make out if it was a boy or girl.There was almost an ethereal quality surrounding it.The child beckoned but as I approached it seemed to disappear and reappear in a different place.I was spell bound,my only goal was to reach the child.Every time I got close it seemed to vanish only to reappear somewhere else.How was this possible my eyes must be deceiving me.....

cornelius

"It is time", a dweeming voice said" time for you the enter Neatherhymn"
"find the child, find the key"

I couldn't focus anymore...

" we need you!"

Nixie

Voices,visions,I decided to make my way back to the car,but the landscape seemed to have changed.I was disoriented,lost, scared nothing was the same.I couldn't even blame the fog it was beginning to diperse.......

cornelius

I suddenly found myself, in a long line of people. They were all kneeled down. Two figures were going down the line of these people, sporadicaly speaking a few words. I peeped around, like I was afraid to get caught. There were ruins, and seemingly endless fields of green... hills, I saw, and I could here the tides... Where was I? the sky was purple, like a shield of light cloacked the place I was in. the figures got closer. They halted.
" this is the one"
" I see. There is something burning inside this one, I see a long line in the blood of this mortal. Blessings have been made upon this one"

The voices sounded old, like they had been there for thousands of years. I could feel a hand on my forhead. I looked up, and saw... the child!

darkness claimed my sight again...

Nixie

When I came round again,I was laid out in a strange room,luxurious but furnished in a manner I'd never seen before....

A voice spoke, but from where I couldn't see.It resounded against the walls..."who are you mortal...that walks amongst the dead,breathing with blood coursing through your veins.You who should be forbidden are here,strong in spirit,flesh and blood.I command you begone...before you become as one with the dead"

I tried to reply but the words wouldn't form.I must have tripped and banged my head.I'd waken soon and discover it was all a dream....

I had a splitting head ache. I tryed crawl out of bed. I stood up to fast, I almost fainted. I sat down again, breathing heavily.
this dream it was so alive, so...
i tryed to remember how I got home. I just couldn't think clearly, maybe a shower could revive my mind.
as i tried to stand up again, I noticed something twirling from underneath the sheets. It was some sort of leaf. I didn't remember seeing such a sort of leaf before. the colour of it seemed so unnatural.

Then I looked around me again. That leaf or frond wasnt anything Id seen before. Where is this place? Why does it feel like my mind has been through a mangle? And my eyes hurt, and my tongue feels heavy... I need water, I need coffee. Why's this feel ... But this place is too real. Theres a big plant in the corner nearest me... and it isnt stood in a pot. The roots are dark and stunted, just sprawled upon the stone floor...

Terror descended,I couldn't move, fear rooted me to the bed.Where am I? how did I get here?

My last coherent thought was of the car breaking down.Since then my whole world had gone crazy.A child roaming in the dark...ruins that shouldn't be there...voices in my head,plants with roots above ground.What's happening to me?

I had to snap out of it. sure there must have been something logic to this all. maybe I was in the hospital, after nearly being frozen over. the drugs does funny things to me. that's why I can't snap out of this, they're keeping me asleep.

" you are wrong there, little one."

cornelius said:
sorry for the names in between, I can't seem to quote it all properly. Who is next?

Sorry to jump in here. To quote someone use {quote=username}Text you are quoting{/quote}

Replace the the {} with [].

*you are wrong there, little one*
What..? "Hello?" I tried to say it, but it came out a whisper and a croak. Swallowing, trying to clear my throat, I also pushed away form the bed and wondered out of the little bedroom, reaching for the doorframe. I could barely walk. I couldnt get words out. Someone must have been in the room through the doorway talking. I felt myself stumble and fall over the threshhold. Must have a drink, must wake up...

" hehehe, little one, don't hurt yourself there! You're just like the others, although you've woken up a little earlier there. Find your way into the kitchen, there some coffee here if you like"

I saw a big man sitting on a chair. He had a big black curly hair, and a beard that matched it. His heavy eyebrows hid his eyes. He was a heavy man, the chair moaned underneath the weight. he had some scruffy clothes on. He didn't seem hostile. the Man was carving some sort of animal out of a piece of wood.

"sit down. have no fear, I have guided many before you"
" guide?"

"Help yourself to coffee and something to eat...I will guide you away from here" I sat and stared.."Bu..bu..t where am I? how did I get?" I mumbled, "slow down little man,one question at a time"

I studied the man with intense scruitiny, despite his rough and rugged appearecnce he had shining, friendly eyes that didnt seem to match his charecter.
Seeing me hesitate the man flashed me some sort of smile, he lifted himself from his chair and pulled one up for me, setting the blade and carving on the table. *thank the gods for that* I thought sitting myself on the chair, thoughly relieved that the large sharp knife was out of his hands.
I watched the man as he leaned against the wall and pulled a pipe from his dirty jacket pocket, unrolling a plastic wallet he took a pinch of tobacco and nestled it snugly in his pipe. When he lit the pipe, he puffed away quickly and cleared his throat ''right im assuming you do not know who you are...'' the large man began...

The large man walked over to the fire which had a large bubbling cauldron upon it.
I hadnt noticed before but whatever was cooking within it smelled good.
He picked up a bowl and clumsily poured in what looked like stew with a ladel.
Returning to the table he placed the bowl infront of me. I hadnt been given a spoon but, to be honest, I was still nervous and didnt want to ask so I held the bowl like a mug and sipped at the contents. Beef broth, I recognised it from when my mother used to make it as a child. It was good and I soon found myself guzzling away with gusto.
All the while the black haired man watched me with curoius intent.
When the broth was gone I pushed the bowl away from me, I felt better for eating and proved it with a belch.
The man nodded ''right'' he said setting down his pipe and folding his arms, I could tell this was serious and didnt like it one bit.

The question is not " where am I?", It is "why am I here?". You have to know that there were meany before you, little one. Not all of them were able to complete the transformation, nor did they make it to their destination. But they are not among your concerns.

"Who's watching who?" asked the stranger. "All right, little one. Have a drink too. Im sure you'll soon feel right as rain. Isnt that what they say where you come from?" He'd sat down in a different chair on the opposite side of the table.
He had a steady and sure hold on my eyes. Somehow that eased me a little. I was more certain of his good intent, though I still hadnt a clue what was happening. Any of it. I looked across at that blade to the side of the large wooden table.
"Ah!" he said, before anything crossed my mind. I looked back at him and his lips were tight across his broad face. "Too much to tell. Too much too soon, little one. Drink, please." He indicated the stoneware mug. I didnt take it; not trusting my thoughts just now, and wondering why Id felt like eating so soon.
There was a gentle sigh. And then creaking of his wickerchair as he stretched over and placed a thick nailless finger on the pommel of the knife and slid it towards me next to the mug. The noise as it moved across the wood was all too loud.
What am I supposed to do? He didnt say anything. A steaming mug and a blade. Out of some sort of curiosity I ran a finger over the leather handle. A little more preasure. It didnt move. I gave the pommel a push as if to send it spinning: it didnt budge! With a shudder I pulled my arm back...