so, what are they?

wellheregoesagain

Science fiction fantasy
Could someone please give me a starting list as to what would be considered classic sci-fi/fantasy? Thanks.

You might want to actually read through some of the threads already posted before posting questions that have been endlessly re-hashed on the forum. Still, it is always a valid question and I can think of no better answer than to point you to Gollancz' excellent series of SF and Fantasy Masterworks. A search on sfsite.com will bring you to a complete listing.

Yes - the Masterworks series has the majority of classic science fiction and fantasy. There are a couple of emissions, eg Mervyn Peake, HP Lovecraft, Franz Kafka, Mikhail Bulgakov and Italo Calvino - but these are otherwise easy to find, and the masterworks series should give you plenty to start off with.

As for a starting list (because the 100+ titles of the masterworks series can seem bewildering):
In fantasy:
1) Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
2) Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber
3) Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
4) Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
5) The Emperor of Dreams by Clark Ashton Smith

In Science Fiction:
1) Dune by Frank Herbert
2) A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick
3) The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
4) The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
5) A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller Jr

SukiTrek said:
The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov are classics!

And any of the robot books, which all eventually ended up as part of the same story or at least in the same universe.

In addition to the SF and Fantasy Masterworks suggested by knivesout, check out the Hugo and Nebula award winners in the novel or book categories. They can be easily found with a Google search.

Yes - the Masterworks series has the majority of classic science fiction and fantasy. There are a couple of emissions, eg Mervyn Peake, HP Lovecraft, Franz Kafka, Mikhail Bulgakov and Italo Calvino - but these are otherwise easy to find, and the masterworks series should give you plenty to start off with.

As for a starting list (because the 100+ titles of the masterworks series can seem bewildering):
In fantasy:
1) Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
2) Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber
3) Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
4) Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
5) The Emperor of Dreams by Clark Ashton Smith

In Science Fiction:
1) Dune by Frank Herbert
2) A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick
3) The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
4) The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
5) A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller Jr

A great list.

Most pointless thread revival ever?

We all know it's a great list.

The previous post was one-eighth of a century ago.

BAYLOR is the all-time champion of pointless thread revivals. I give up.

Back