Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files

Cloud

Rahvin's Grammy
I agree they are getting better! But they do have a different focus than the authors you menionted, Brown Rat (and I wouldn't put Nina Kiriki Hoffman in with those others, although she's one of my favorites). Not as much sex, for one thing.

I think they are more akin to P.N.Elrod's Vampire Files.

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Jim's mentioned that there's a plan for 20 'casefiles' (like the ones we've seen so far) and a 3-part trilogy at the end to wrap the overall plot.

*sigh* And it's gonna take FOREVER b/c he's only dropping one Dresden book a year (he has Furies of Calderon as his other project that also drops one book per year).

We're on 8, so that's another twelve years before we even get to the trilogy - and I don't know that he's even thought about how that's gonna release.

Me - I can't wait! I wanna see book 9 already!

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Ok - since I can't edit my post ---

I'll just add on - that there are also audiobooks for the 1st 3 Dresden novels and book 4 is being produced over the next few months or so. ;)

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Smoking Mirror said:
I believe next one White night is coming out April 3, 2007
Yeah - that's the name and the publisher keeps bumping up the release dates. One year it was June, then May, now April. I'm not complaining, but Jim might start to - since this keeps pushing the Dresden release closer to the Furies release b/c Furies isn't moving. ;)

rune

rune
Thanks for the info about the next book, I love this series and always look forward to the new books :D

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
There may be sample chapters from the new book up on the website in December or so - depends on what the publisher says and how busy Jim is.

baldur27

I just finished Dead Beat and it was bloody awesome gotta love a re-animated T-rex but Proven guilty doesnt get released down here until april 2007! not very happy

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
It looks like you're getting them a year behind the US.

Unless you're getting them only in paperback - b/c the paperbacks release a year after the hardback.

I agree though - that T-Rex is awesome!

baldur27

Aha! that will be the problem I'll start looking for it in hardcover thanks for the tip.

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
baldur27 said:
Aha! that will be the problem I'll start looking for it in hardcover thanks for the tip.

no problem... ;)

'tis why I'm here. (( that and I just love pimping these books! ))

tenglw86

hello all! i'm brand new fan of the dresden files but, man, am i hooked! i've just finished reading the first seven books in a week and i'm waiting on my reservation for the eighth. in the mean time, i'll just have to entertain myself with stories of similar nature. can anybody here recommend good books of a similar genre to the desden files (contemporary/urban fantasy, mystery/thriller)?

murphy

hello all! i'm brand new fan of the dresden files but, man, am i hooked! i've just finished reading the first seven books in a week and i'm waiting on my reservation for the eighth. in the mean time, i'll just have to entertain myself with stories of similar nature. can anybody here recommend good books of a similar genre to the desden files (contemporary/urban fantasy, mystery/thriller)?
There's always Kim Harrison's series. It starts with Dead Witch Walking.

And welcome to the Chronicles.

Cloud

Rahvin's Grammy
I like P.N. Elrod's The Vampire Chronicles. Although not contemporary (set in the 30s) they are about a Vampire P.I. --like Raymond Chandler meets Ann Rice. Sort of.

I read Dead Witch Walking and was not terribly impressed.

murphy

I like P.N. Elrod's The Vampire Chronicles. Although not contemporary (set in the 30s) they are about a Vampire P.I. --like Raymond Chandler meets Ann Rice. Sort of.

I read Dead Witch Walking and was not terribly impressed.
No, I agree. It's not as good as the Dresden Files, but it was all I could think of this morning. Maybe I'll come up with something else later.

murphy

Some more urban fantasies: Urban Shaman, by C. E. Murphy; Tinker by Wen Spencer and for straight urban fantasies, there's always Charles de Lint.

Serin

Chasing a dream...
I watched the first episode and I liked what I saw. So much so that I have bought the first in the book series. I am looking forward to reading this book and watching further episodes.

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
I watched the first episode and I liked what I saw. So much so that I have bought the first in the book series. I am looking forward to reading this book and watching further episodes.

Excellent!! :)

The book series is fantastic!

And yes, I love the tv series too - even if it's had a bit of a rocky start. ;)

Serin

Chasing a dream...
I have just finished reading Storm Front, and although at first I seemed to struggle with it I persevered and I am glad that I did as I enjoyed it. I am continuing to watch the series too. I must say that being on this forum has got me back into reading again, it's great.:)

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
I have just finished reading Storm Front, and although at first I seemed to struggle with it I persevered and I am glad that I did as I enjoyed it. I am continuing to watch the series too. I must say that being on this forum has got me back into reading again, it's great.:)
They only get better from there. ;)

I was ecstatic to find Jim's stuff - his books, in general, (there were only the 1st 4 Dresden books at the time) got me back into reading period! I'd been a big reading grump prior to that. Now - at least I know that each year I'll have ONE book that I want to read. *g*

So - my theory - read more Dresden!

What? Me biased? Never.... ;)