Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
I know at least one other member here who is a fan of Jim Butcher's series, The Dresden Files so when I discovered some info, I figured I'd post it here fore the enjoyment of others.

Here is the home webpage for the author: http://www.jim-butcher.com/

Here, are some sample chapters of the latest book to be out in May 2006:
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/8/

and, here's the news regarding the upcoming TV series based on the Dresden series: http://www.jim-butcher.com/news/000105.php

some news on his latest series (which is in discussion over at the Book Club if you are interested):
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera/

Enjoy!!

One of my favourite series, and despite this authors starting a new series completely different from Dresden Files. I still love the antics of Harry Dresden :D

Because I enjoy Laurell Hamilton's early work and Tanya Huff's novels, I was looking forward to reading Butcher, who's been described as writing in a similar vein. I bought Fool Moon, read it through, and when I was done thought, "Well, that was OK, but I don't really want to read any more." The book just didn't grab me as strongly as Hamilton or Huff (or Nina Kiriki Hoffman, or Kim Harrison, or Laura Anne Gilman, or C.E. Murphy).

I wonder if I'm being sexist. Am I more into works of this sort if the author or main protagonist is female? :eek:

Should I give Butcher another shot? Is Fool Moon a representative example of his work, or would you recommend another novel instead?

I'm so out of touch with this series. I have the first 5 books, but can't seem to locate any of the others in the shops:mad: Thanks for the info though... think im going to have to start buying online.

I've just been lent the first book in this series. The guy who lent it to me was mysteriously sent it in the post. He loves it, can't recommend it enough! Unfortunately I have a lot of books to get through first.

I've already got it and am halfway through it. If you like Dresden, this is a good example. By the way, I ordered it from Barnes and Noble last weekend (that's the U.S.).:D

Excellent, pleased to hear the new book keeps up the good quality :D

Ive recently read the 7th book, very much enjoyed it - Dead Beat kept up the quality and ive not ordered Proven Guilty :D

I think Proven Guilty is my favorite so far, at least of the last several I've read... in previous books I've often felt that Harry was a little too angry, irrationally so, and just behaved badly for little or no reason too often. My two friends who also read the series disagree with me, but I've felt that the 'gruff exterior with a noble heart' was stretched too far and ended up feeling like 'asshole you're supposed to like'. With the last book, I've felt his character is achieving a little more balance and depth. I'm definitely looking forward to the series continuing.

I dont agree that Harry is angry for no reason. Throughout the books, his background is addressed and there is plenty of reason for him to be angry

Read the series many times and Harry has certain issues that will always be a part of him.

rune said:
I dont agree that Harry is angry for no reason. Throughout the books, his background is addressed and there is plenty of reason for him to be angry

I agree, there's definitely plenty of reason for him to be angry... but that doesn't always make for a very dynamic character. I found Harry to be shallow and predictable. He always made the "noble" choice, but was meanwhile an asshole to everybody around him. Sure, his background gives him reason to be an asshole, but that doesn't make him a good character.

Anways, it's just my personal feeling on the character. I think I didn't enjoy the Janny Wurts books for much the same reason... the characters just don't click for me. However, with Harry Dresden, it was more of a small annoyance, as opposed to Janny Wurts's insurmountable irritation. I loved the books in general, and I really do think the most recent one is the best yet.

murphy said:
Are you talking about Janny Wurts' Mistwraith series? or her other books?
Mistwraith series. I read "To Ride Hell's Chasm" recently and enjoyed it, and I loved the books she wrote with Feist as well. I just can't seem to get into the Mistwraith books... I read three when stuck on a vacation with a lack of anything else, and left the third halfway through when I got home, something I almost never do. The main characters just seemed like ... plot devices, not people, I guess.

Another fan here! Thanks for posting this. I had the pleasure of hearing him speak yesterday and found him very entertaining. So much so had to go out and buy the first book in the series. Now I am plotting my purchases of the rest of the books in the series.

Thank you to the OP for posting the information! I am also enjoying the Dresden Files. I think they are getting better as time goes on (unlike a lot of series, which tend to degenerate). Dead Beat was great. I'm also very excited about the tv show, but skeptical!

Ive just started Proven Guilty, so love this series, it's one of my favourites and this has already started very well. I envy the chance of being able to speak to the author :D

Brown Rat said:
Because I enjoy Laurell Hamilton's early work and Tanya Huff's novels, I was looking forward to reading Butcher, who's been described as writing in a similar vein. I bought Fool Moon, read it through, and when I was done thought, "Well, that was OK, but I don't really want to read any more." The book just didn't grab me as strongly as Hamilton or Huff (or Nina Kiriki Hoffman, or Kim Harrison, or Laura Anne Gilman, or C.E. Murphy).

I wonder if I'm being sexist. Am I more into works of this sort if the author or main protagonist is female? :eek:

Should I give Butcher another shot? Is Fool Moon a representative example of his work, or would you recommend another novel instead?

Fool Moon isn't the best of the series. It's, personally, my least fave of the current 8. Grave Peril and Death Masks are my favorites and are much stronger.

So, *I* would say - YES - give Butcher another shot. The books get better as the series goes along - even Jim's said so and he wrote them! :)

Back