Post your art in the gallery!

Funnily enough, I just created an account on Reddit for the sole purpose of joining in the minipainting sub.

IMG_20210114_233909.jpg

I'm at the limit of what I can do so am looking for ways to improve. Usually involving too much YouTube :)

Edit: @Toby Frost I like those cyberpunk elves... very Shadowrun.

A lot of what I make comes from cutting up old kits and reassembling them into new shapes.
That is exactly how I make most of my artwork. I take pictures of all kinds of natural shapes (no copyrights) and reshape them into new pictures which have very little in common with what you can see at the macro level, but have a lot in common at the micro level where everything is blended together.

Finished this a couple of days ago, minus some little tweaks. First time painting yellow and it was torture! Also tested out oil paints for hitting any patches of shading I'd missed with acrylics - to avoid staining the cursed yellow...
IMG_20210208_210126.jpg

Dragon mount missing his rider because I couldn't figure out a good colour combination... though I'm sure there could be a backstory about that :)

It really is. It kept chipping off at the tips of scales taking it down to the basecoat, and fixing that needed multiple layers of yellow on not only that spot but the entire 'block' to avoid it being all patchy. Never again, even if I do like how it turned out. Yellow is a really nice punchy colour.

Yea, I started watching a tiny YouTube channel called 52 Miniatures and it's this Swedish man trying out a lot of different techniques (usually for the first time) and I realised that the oils might work for this big guy too. It's a really good channel, quite quiet and slow but he talks through what he's doing and why rather than just being 'because I say so, I'm the expert' like most similar channels.

Finished a new digital painting :) . Family suggested I paint some unicorns since so many like them. Not my favorite fantasy creature, but I painted one any way. Have another one in progress that I'm much more excited about that's going to be very, very different from this one! (Think dark side of the unicorns!)

"First Unicorn of Spring"

First Unicorn of Spring1b.jpg

Good work! the lighting on the top of the cloak is particularly nice.
It was completely coincidental and totally unplanned but the pink really went well with the purple when it came to glazing on the glow. Just trying to push myself wherever I can and the OSL was an afterthought after I got a little of the fluorescent pink on the staff and it looked nice.

I've since filed down the tip of the hair as the pink really highlighted the 'flat' end on the sculpt as well. Looks much more natural now :)

Tried to up the contrast between light and dark but messed up the hue of the skin... then tried to remove the shininess with matte varnish which clogged the details...
400149600240_155279.jpg

Overall I'm not happy with it, but it's all a learning process :)

I decided I wanted to finish off that dragonling and add a rider I actually liked... So, here is its backstory... (art is in the spoiler)

Their guide spoke for weeks of great monsters lying beyond the mountains, and slipping out of camp one evening he abandoned the stupid foreigners to their well-deserved fate. The expedition leader assigned by the Royal Geographical Society insisted the man was a superstitious fool and challenged the honour of the Union Cavalry captain assigned to protect his search for riches.

Knowing that to turn around now would bring shame and court-martial, the expedition proceeded deeper into the Heart. At first, the geographer's mockery held up, with nothing but the usual malaria induced fevers to contend with. That was until one night when the men were awoken by the shrieks and wails of a hundred dying horses.

Grabbing their guns the men mounted a brave defence, firing volley after volley into the night until all was silent aside for the thrashing of the wounded. Despite this respite, no man rested easy for not a soul had seen anything but the occasional glint of predatory pink eyes in the darkness beyond their fires.

Knowing their journey was doomed to failure the captain took what few horses remained, loaded with as many supplies as they could carry and set out for home before the dawn had even broken.

Night after night the men saw nothing but they fretted regardless, finding refuge in craggy outcroppings and anywhere else that would offer protection from the creatures they felt were dogging their steps.

One early evening they finally got their first true look at the monsters their guide had so honestly warned them about. Bounding into a clearing where half a dozen men stood sipping tea, the beast - no less than least six feet to the shoulder - rushed at the soldiers, scattering them as easily as would a cannonball.

The men flung themselves in every direction, desperate for any escape from the immense horned behemoth. They rushed around in a panic, screaming the alert, and each man had the definite knowledge that the next second would be his last.

It took the arrival of their captain to snap them out of their terror long enough to notice that they all still lived.

Why they couldn't say, but the great yellow demon that had haunted them for days stood snuffling and nuzzling their gear bags, eager as a puppy to get at what lay within, tearing them apart with talons the size of a man's hand.

It turned out horses weren't the only creatures that could be tamed with a good sugar lump...

IMG_20210321_210110-01-01.jpeg

Back