Post your art in the gallery!

I seldom look at what other people are doing. I am inspired by da Vinci, Bosch, Bruegel and his family. I know of few other artists work in depth, except the really popular ones over the centuries and a few real life artists I personally know who can manually draw whatever they want. I was starting go around to galleries, put a few things up for exhibit last fall and talking to other artists and looking at what they were doing, and then corona came along.

FOXES  B 11.4 SQ FULL 400.jpg

I mostly do digital painting, but I would like to do more with some of the traditional sketching techniques as well. Right now, I've been pursing freelance for book covers/illustrations and TCG/RPG card art, but I'm open to other project types as well. Haven't had my first commission yet, but I've been in discussions with someone on their TCG game so I'm hopeful I will soon. In the mean time, I'm still building my portfolio with personal projects and cover art for my own books. Here's the link to my page on ArtStation if you'd like to take a look!
Wow! That's cool! I love the way you make your images glow. The fairy one is really cool! Fingers crossed for you!

I do that sometimes. Develop a character through a sketch.
For example;
Here is a sketch I made for a story I'm working on and the blurb for it
IMG_20200530_102639.jpg

The Auction Houses of Landfall were where all manner of goods were abandoned from the great family's corporate ships. Even one of their erring own clan.
Great Lady and Princess no more, now she was cast adrift from her ship life and must earn her way in dust, like the landgrubbers she had once looked down upon from her former ship's pristene decks..

Wow! That's cool! I love the way you make your images glow. The fairy one is really cool! Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you! I really enjoy it! The painting I did for my book cover was actually my first time doing digital painting. Well, first proper try at digital painting :LOL:. I had an assignment for digital painting in my digital imaging class years ago in college, but the professor never explained what digital painting was, let alone how to do it, so I just bluffed my way through to an 'A' with a bunch of abstract work :LOL:. This time, I wanted to do it right and had to rely on the foundation art classes and a ton of books out of the library. Fell in love with it after that :).

I do that sometimes. Develop a character through a sketch.
For example;
Here is a sketch I made for a story I'm working on and the blurb for it
View attachment 65274

The Auction Houses of Landfall were where all manner of goods were abandoned from the great family's corporate ships. Even one of their erring own clan.
Great Lady and Princess no more, now she was cast adrift from her ship life and must earn her way in dust, like the landgrubbers she had once looked down upon from her former ship's pristene decks..

Very nice! I'm still working in my sketching skills. For some strange reason, I can draw/paint just fine from observation or with references, but rough, concept sketching gives me no end of grief.

I make all of my own art for story forum title pages and what will ultimately be book covers. One thing I learned early was how text as an image layer (vs. as text) could be improved significantly. Here's one type that some of you might find useful for your own. Though I'm hesitant to show the whole image (not appropriate for here), I wanted neon and paint signage on a wall.

* To make neon, find a rounded font, type out what you want and save it as an image.
* Edit the image by breaking the font like neon is made in pieces.
* Change the line font to white, then add successive outlines of ever darker shades of the color you want the neon to be (if you zoom in you can see the outlines...zoomed out they all blend).
* Overlay the background with a dark shade (on a separate layer).
* Under the neon layer and above the background & shade layer, add a translucent color in the shade of the neon.
* Erase the shade under each letter to make the background lit.

It should come out like this:
CtaTNY.jpg

K2

@CTRandall
I like your wife's work. It's beautiful. She can make you a really nice book cover. Do you get an inhouse discount on the price? I go out and look for patterns and take a hundred pictures of stuff, literally stuff. Then I usually pick the first picture or two and digitally rework it and rework it. The original pictures are real things, but they almost never look recognizable after I get done with them. Here are two exceptions. Action figure and tree bark.

21st Century Monster 300x500.jpg

Tree Dogs 300x500.jpg

@BuriedAlien That is some very impressive work. I guess there is not any erasing in this process. I imagine a good picture shows more.

I have a lot of trouble photographing my finished work because it is not quite flat and it is underneath a smooth layer of plastic glue. Your wife's work has a low reflective surface with a thin layer of dimension going vertically and horizontally. Details easy for the eye to see but cameras can easily miss. The flash is a fast fix but getting rid of the flash can be tough. I have tried plastic bottles to muzzle the flash which I have never got to work. Putting up lights at 45 degree angles that impart their own colors into the picture. I see the copyright mark, seems like the flash does an even better job of that.

I recently saw an led spot light made of a hundred leds where you could dial the color temperature of the led light, a little pricey. Just finding an inexpensive camera that can capture the entire spectrum is hard. I ended up with an old camera that captures good tones of red and sort of gets the rest.

Robert ZWilling, truth be told, I just photoed the pyrographs with a phone cam. I made no effort beyond taking a picture. I'm sure if I had used even my old SLR (Canon FTb), I could have gotten better pics. The copyright, I installed on some picture files because I once shared her work on Facebook, then saw it show up elsewhere without credit to her. Her focus is mainly on western and farm themes. I think the ceiling fan is reflected in this one.

Attachments

• Milkcans1.jpg
    Milkcans1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
Well... Here is a symbol of love, a heart.

I splitted a plum. I took a seed away and gave it to my kid with instructions to squeeze it under a daylight lamp so that the hole of a seed disappears and it will be in a shape of a heart.

I like the idea of my kids having my heart in their hands. That's where dad's heart belongs - to next generation.

Plum heart likings-5483.jpg

©Alan Aspie

More photos in my Insta.

Last edited:
Finally finished this piece! I started painting it a couple years ago, but, I got stuck on part of it and had to set it aside for the sake of my sanity. Just got back to it a few weeks ago :) . This was my first time ever painting or drawing a dragon, so it was quite the challenge. Made in Corel Painter.

Not All Treasure is Gold2a.jpg

There's a lot of really cool pictures in this thread. I wish I could illustrate my own work - beyond stick-people, I'm pretty lost.

It's not painting pictures, but I do a lot of converting and painting of model kits. A lot of what I make comes from cutting up old kits and reassembling them into new shapes.

Some Fremen:

Fremen horde.jpg

Aliens-style vehicle:

Truck3.jpg

Cyberpunk elves:

Group photo.jpg

Back