Ray Bradbury?

What are your favorite Ray Bradbury short stories? For me, it's The Fog Horn. I first read it in my English class in school, and I remember feeling immense sadness and sympathy for the monster from the sea (well, it's a pleiosaur). The story left an indelible impression in my mind. In fact, I believe that was my first introduction to Bradbury. Been in love with his work ever since.

Jeremy said:
What are your favorite Ray Bradbury short stories? For me, it's The Fog Horn. I first read it in my English class in school, and I remember feeling immense sadness and sympathy for the monster from the sea (well, it's a pleiosaur). The story left an indelible impression in my mind. In fact, I believe that was my first introduction to Bradbury. Been in love with his work ever since.

Thank you for the subtle correction. I was thinking of "the Fog Horn" when I called it "the Lighthouse". Memory is the second thing to go when you get to be my and I forget what the first thing is.

I also read Ray Bradbury at school after a teacher recommended him. I would say it was Bradbury, John Wyndham, Arthur C Clarke and Tolkien that got me started reading Fantasy and Science Fiction. Too long ago for me to remember all the stories, but I never liked the 'Martian Chronicles'.

I don't agree with Bradbury's definition of Science Fiction just given here though:
Shoegaze99 said:
Science fiction is a depiction of the real. Fantasy is a depiction of the unreal.
Science Fiction can also be what could have happened, what might have happened, or what can never happen. Think of Alternative Reality stories, or SteamPunk, or Time Travel.

His 'Sound of Thunder' is one of his best known short stories. He says it's every school anthology. Is he saying that is Fantasy?

I prefer a definition of Science Fiction as Historical Fiction set in the future, or in an alternative present or past.

Perhaps. But coming from the generation of writers Ray comes from, the distinction between sf and fantasy is/was very much as he describes it. Asimov made the same distinction many, many times, as did others, including John Campbell, Jr. and Fritz Leiber. Time travel, though an accepted sf trope, is nonetheless, by most definitions, fantasy, not science fiction, as the likelihood of such ever being possible, given the laws of physics, is extremely unlikely to say the least. So, yes, "A Sound of Thunder" is fantasy, not sf.

That being said, Bradbury nonetheless is an enormously important writer in the development of sf, who influenced many who came after him. As far as picking my favorite Bradbury stories.... that's a tall order. How many are we allowed? (The man has a rather impressive list of books, don't forget....) But "The Fog Horn" and "The Pedestrian", as well as "Pillar of Fire" (the first story of Ray's I read) and "Chrysalis" all would fit into that count, I think...

I have to agree with Ellison's assessment: Bradbury is definitely a magic man....

Oddly enough, I've just read *Bradbury An Illustrated Life* by Jerry Weist, which my sweetie had recently acquired. I was soon calling him over to show him this bookcover or that photo (we especially enjoyed Forry Ackerman in the first ever Worldcon costume!). We were struck by how many Bradbury stories are imprinted on our memories -- classics like *The Small Assassin* and *There Will Come Soft Rain*... My partner prefers *The October Country*, but I find that it is stories from *The Martian Chronicles* like "Green Morning", "The Million Year Picnic" and "Ylla" that I remember and love ...

It's been years (maybe decades) since I read much Bradbury, but after looking at this book, I really want to get out my Bradbury and re-read it -- and buy the later stories that I don't have.