Ned Stark Question....

I don't believe Ned is still alive either, but I also love a good crackpot theory, the wackier the better. So Imp, please don't stop posting your more 'far-out' theories, because they are much appreciated by me for one!

The only way I could see Ned being alive is that Syrio is a faceless man and he was there to protect Ned and he took his place for the escape. Highly unlikely years pass in the series, and if Ned did get away he wouldn't sit back and let his house be at war without him.

The only way I could see Ned being alive is that Syrio is a faceless man and he was there to protect Ned and he took his place for the escape. Highly unlikely years pass in the series, and if Ned did get away he wouldn't sit back and let his house be at war without him.

what you said can be found in the discussion found here, which remarkably, is also linked 6 posts above :)

haha sorry 10 mins ago was my first time logging back in after a year or more, too much to catch up on I read initial question then posted too much to catch up on I guess every possible avenue has been brought up.

haha sorry 10 mins ago was my first time logging back in after a year or more, too much to catch up on I read initial question then posted too much to catch up on I guess every possible avenue has been brought up.

I think we'll have an answer at the end of the 8th epsidoe of GOT. I'm VERY curious to see if it's Ned that we see being beheaded. I'm also anxious to see how the Syrio- Trant fight is handled

I'm also anxious to see how the Syrio- Trant fight is handled
GRRM letting HBO make the definitive statement regarding Syrio. My aplogies, but thinking about Syrio on HBO gives me the mental image of Steve Van Zandt (Silvio on The Sopranos) playing the First Sword of Braavos. "Fuhgedabou.... err, Jus sos youse know... err, Just so."

GRRM letting HBO make the definitive statement regarding Syrio. My aplogies, but thinking about Syrio on HBO gives me the mental image of Steve Van Zandt (Silvio on The Sopranos) playing the First Sword of Braavos. "Fuhgedabou.... err, Jus sos youse know... err, Just so."

Silvio Forrel eh? That is indeed a hilarious image.

"The suicidal SOB. Just when I thought I pulled my sword out, he pulled it back in."

or something along those lines.

The fight scene is most likely wishful thinking on my part. I suspect they'll cut away as it happened in the book.

i have always had an inclination that Ned may still be alive. A Game of Thrones is laced with hints about escape routes from the dungeons, secret passages, Ned barely being recognisable, his farewell to Catelyn before first going to Kings Landing (resinged to the fact that regardless of what happened he had to say goodbye to his family). I dont, however, think its Tywins doing. I think there is something else going on that Martin has hinted at and in his own typical style, will drop on us when we least expect it. Yes, we will take a minute to get over it, but when we do we will bask in his writing genious once more. thoughts?
:)
There are also the lines about Varys being capable of such good disguises that Ned didn't recognize him. GRRM just put those lines in and didn't do anything with them.

Ned has to be dead else the whole thing is a joke, he was far to rigid in his honour to still be alive. He made so many mistakes and deserves to be dead to be honest even though I loved him as a character

If he'd taken up Littlefinger and Renly's original offer to move quick and take Cersei and Joff into custody he would still be alive and the lovely Renly and ruling the kingdom and all would be well and the story would have been a lot shorter.

I really hope he isn't still alive though part of me would quite like it :)

and love the pulp fiction references :D

The fight scene is most likely wishful thinking on my part. I suspect they'll cut away as it happened in the book.
I'm assuming the same.

As the Mountain's head is unavailable, because it's on its way to Dorne, perhaps it's Ned's head sitting on what we've been calling FrakenGregor. His sense of honour, suitably manipulated by Qybyrn, may force him to defend Cersei against the obviously arriviste religious hordes.

So, Long Live FrankenStark....

Hey, let's have a "Renly is still alive" loony theory. GRRM did say that someone from the 2nd book would reappear slightly worse for wear. This can only mean Renly's been partying hard with R'hllor for the past two books, and will reappear as UnRenly.

OK I'm no good at crackpot theories.

Renly started a Rave across the Narrow Sea?

Schweet.

Don't know how they'd dance to the music of the period while waving pots of pyromancer's fire, but I can't wait to find out.

Hey, let's have a "Renly is still alive" loony theory. GRRM did say that someone from the 2nd book would reappear slightly worse for wear. This can only mean Renly's been partying hard with R'hllor for the past two books, and will reappear as UnRenly.

OK I'm no good at crackpot theories.

GRRM was talking about

spiler below

Theon. Just in case you really didn't know that.

Thanks Imp, I think I had read that somewhere, but had actually forgotten! Sigh, I can dream it's Renly just back from a Rave :)

Crazy thought #2003, if the wights breach the wall and get to the Winterfell Crypt, or wherever Ned ended up with the silent sisters, could he become an other? Not sure how recently dead you have to be to turn lol

Crazy thought #2003, if the wights breach the wall and get to the Winterfell Crypt, or wherever Ned ended up with the silent sisters, could he become an other? Not sure how recently dead you have to be to turn lol
Someone (I can't remember who) mentioned this. I think the consensus was you would need to have some flesh on the bones in order to be able to reanimate.

This is all moot anyway because the Lacasters and Yorks inevitably were conquered by the upstart rebel forces of Henry Tudor right? So long live the Targaryans, or will it by the Greyjoys?

Anyway, Boaz, Maybe a better thread would be to discuss SoIaF written by Martin using Pulp Fiction as a foundation!

js

Henry Tudor WAS of the house of Lancaster, albeit slightly distantly if I remember correctly but he definitely was. Just to be pedantic :D

I've grieved for Ned a long time ago, I don't want him to come back to life. Having said that I wouldn't be overly shocked, grrm has consistently blown my expectations. I don't think he will though. The biggest argument for his being truly dead is how could it possibly be explained that Ned stark would sit idly by whilst his family are murdered and hunted. Wouldn't happen.

Is there anyone who knows Jon's true parentage apart from Ned? As that would be the biggest argument for him being alive if not, as that mystery HAS to be solved.

Henry Tudor got his claim through the house of beaufort.Henry's mother was the great-granddaughter of John Gaunt, a duke of lancaster. His claim to the throne and lancaster power very tenuous at best. (from a woman and on the wrong sides of the sheets).

After a bunch of deaths, he ended up being the most senior lancaster claimant remaining.

Also part of the reason the war of the roses stopped was because he married Elizabeth of York thus reuniting the two warring houses. (That and he succesully overcame a couple of relatively more minor rebbelions)

Back